Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:35 PM
Luvmypitgirls's Avatar
Luvmypitgirls Luvmypitgirls is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: High River Alberta
Posts: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
LMPG, I took Kiska in once and had to leave her because two emergency's came in. One, the poor dog died in the waiting room. I left Kiska because she was having really bad diarrhea, but I had to leave. I felt so bad for those poor dogs that were brought in.

Hopefully, tomorrow they will be able to help. Did you manage to have a look at the link for the coconut oil?
They didn't offer to keep Kato, if they had I probably would've refused to be honest. Kato, has issues...without going into too much detail, he doesn't do well with ppl he doesn't know, especially men. It's something we've been working on for a long time but we still have a long way to go.
Of course if Kato was in critical condition I would have but I didn't think it necessary for this situation.

Yes thank you for posting the link, I'm going to try and find some, would a reputable Pet store carry it? Or do I have to find a health food store?
I'm definately going to try this, it certainly couldn't hurt. Thank you again so much for the link
__________________
Abigail~ APBT~ 2
Jersey ~ APBT~5(ish)
Kato ~Rottie~ 5&1/2
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)


"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
ancientgirl's Avatar
ancientgirl ancientgirl is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 15,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
They didn't offer to keep Kato, if they had I probably would've refused to be honest. Kato, has issues...without going into too much detail, he doesn't do well with ppl he doesn't know, especially men. It's something we've been working on for a long time but we still have a long way to go.
Of course if Kato was in critical condition I would have but I didn't think it necessary for this situation.

Yes thank you for posting the link, I'm going to try and find some, would a reputable Pet store carry it? Or do I have to find a health food store?
I'm definately going to try this, it certainly couldn't hurt. Thank you again so much for the link
Kiska doesn't do well outside home, but I felt they could at least run tests on her and give her some medicine so she could get some relief.

You can find that at a good health food store. I found some at a vitamin store.
__________________
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:11 PM
Luvmypitgirls's Avatar
Luvmypitgirls Luvmypitgirls is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: High River Alberta
Posts: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Kiska doesn't do well outside home, but I felt they could at least run tests on her and give her some medicine so she could get some relief.

You can find that at a good health food store. I found some at a vitamin store.
I understand what you mean AG, I didn't mean to sound like I was questioning your decision, I hope I didn't come across that way.
For me, it just seemed better bringing him home, since we got another appt in the morning.
I know he's uncomfortable, but leaving him would've stressed him out even more, and they didn't offer to keep him, as he isn't considered critical and he's in no immediate threat.

I will have to look up a good health food store when I'm in the city tomorrow, I'm also going to run the idea of virgin coconut oil past the vet to see what he thinks. I'm just curious, because most vets I've encountered don't agree with "home remedies" or anything outside of their medical arsenal. So it will be interesting to see how he reacts.
__________________
Abigail~ APBT~ 2
Jersey ~ APBT~5(ish)
Kato ~Rottie~ 5&1/2
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)


"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:19 PM
mastifflover's Avatar
mastifflover mastifflover is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,007
Buddy had chronic ear infections my vet finally found the magic one for him and it is not cheap but it worked better than anyone that we had tried previously. He was on Baytril drops and Baytril tablets and within 2 days of starting them I was able to touch his ears and the head shaking was down to a minimum. Buddy did have surgery on his ears to clean them out because there was guck so far in the canals that it was just a breeding ground for infections. By the way I did not let his ears get like this he had this problem when I adopted him but the surgery really made a difference. He would still get infections but not often, but I had to be diligent about keeping them clea. I did try the homeopathy way but with the severity of the infections it did not work he needed antibiotics
__________________
Robin
A dog has so many friends because they wag their tails not their tongues.
R.I.P. Buddy 2002-2008 The best Mastiff ever.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old July 23rd, 2009, 03:37 AM
Luvmypitgirls's Avatar
Luvmypitgirls Luvmypitgirls is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: High River Alberta
Posts: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
Buddy had chronic ear infections my vet finally found the magic one for him and it is not cheap but it worked better than anyone that we had tried previously. He was on Baytril drops and Baytril tablets and within 2 days of starting them I was able to touch his ears and the head shaking was down to a minimum. Buddy did have surgery on his ears to clean them out because there was guck so far in the canals that it was just a breeding ground for infections. By the way I did not let his ears get like this he had this problem when I adopted him but the surgery really made a difference. He would still get infections but not often, but I had to be diligent about keeping them clea. I did try the homeopathy way but with the severity of the infections it did not work he needed antibiotics
Kato has been on a few antibiotics, to no avail. I have always been dilligent about my pets hygene, including cleaning their ears. Why Kato's ears are so severe I can't figure out.
I am going to ask about this Baytril you mention, I don't think we've had that one yet. If he needs to have a surgery then so be it, I will pay anything to have my baby boy happy and healthy and comfortable.
__________________
Abigail~ APBT~ 2
Jersey ~ APBT~5(ish)
Kato ~Rottie~ 5&1/2
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)


"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:30 AM
ancientgirl's Avatar
ancientgirl ancientgirl is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 15,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
I understand what you mean AG, I didn't mean to sound like I was questioning your decision, I hope I didn't come across that way.
For me, it just seemed better bringing him home, since we got another appt in the morning.
I know he's uncomfortable, but leaving him would've stressed him out even more, and they didn't offer to keep him, as he isn't considered critical and he's in no immediate threat.

No, I didn't think you were questioning me. You guys know I'm a worry wart anyway, LOL. But had she not been having the poops I would have brought her home. I just felt if I took her home, without being seen she would get worse.

I will have to look up a good health food store when I'm in the city tomorrow, I'm also going to run the idea of virgin coconut oil past the vet to see what he thinks. I'm just curious, because most vets I've encountered don't agree with "home remedies" or anything outside of their medical arsenal. So it will be interesting to see how he reacts.
I had asked my vet once about it and she said she didn't think it would do any harm, so she was fine with it. But, my vet is really open to alternative stuff. She's even been recommending the sulpher soap I used on Vlad to other clients. Have you tried that? Maybe if you could get a towel and soap it up and clean his ears with it? Ask your vet about that.
__________________
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:09 PM
rainbow's Avatar
rainbow rainbow is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful BC's Kootenay Country
Posts: 34,759
How did the vet appt go today?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old July 23rd, 2009, 03:31 PM
Luvmypitgirls's Avatar
Luvmypitgirls Luvmypitgirls is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: High River Alberta
Posts: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
How did the vet appt go today?
Whew! What a busy day we've had so far.
Ok so the appointment went really well, the vet took cultures to have sent away for testing (cost a small fortune, but he's worth it).
He then gave me an ear wash probiotic solution, he was given three injections, one for pain relief, two with antibiotics and anti~inflammatory.
He also gave us two types of oral medications and more Surolan drops.
This is the treatment he suggests until we get the culture results back.
We have also booked an appt for Kato, to go in after we move to have his ears surgically cleaned, and by then we will have the results of the cultures and can plan a preventitive treatment and or a management treatment.

The sad part of the whole appt, was the vet and I did the wash and moments later my sweet boy was slamming his head into the wall, and I mean slamming. He put his head to the floor and ran himself head first into the wall and then just sat there swinging and banging his head. I burst into tears, I have never seen him look so desperate:sad:

When I got home I applied the drops, gave him his oral meds, and shortly thereafter he was laying in the hall, with a look of relief on his face. This is the calmest I have seen him in days.

I'm not sure how long it will take to get the cultures back, he said they will be sent to some place in Saskatchewan.

I just hope they come back soon, so we know exactly what it is we are dealing with, and can develop a more concrete plan.

Btw, just as I had figured, the vet wasn't too enthusiastic about the coconut oil, but after he has his surgery and finished any meds, I am going to take him to a homeopathic vet and see what they can offer, it can't hurt to look into it.
__________________
Abigail~ APBT~ 2
Jersey ~ APBT~5(ish)
Kato ~Rottie~ 5&1/2
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)


"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:05 PM
ancientgirl's Avatar
ancientgirl ancientgirl is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 15,069
Poor Kato! I can understand you getting upset at seeing him like he was. I've had moments like that with Vlad at the vet and it's heartbreaking.

I hope you can finally figure out what's wrong with him.
__________________
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Luvmypitgirls's Avatar
Luvmypitgirls Luvmypitgirls is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: High River Alberta
Posts: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Poor Kato! I can understand you getting upset at seeing him like he was. I've had moments like that with Vlad at the vet and it's heartbreaking.

I hope you can finally figure out what's wrong with him.
Me too. I will say tho that between the injections and the oral meds I gave him, he seems much more relaxed and comfortable. I know he's not cured but at least he's not acting neurotic this evening.
He's even being much more affectionate, for the past couple weeks he's been shying away from us, of course because his ears hurt so bad. So I think he's been given a little relief and that makes me happy, but not as happy as I'll be when we get this under control once and for all.
__________________
Abigail~ APBT~ 2
Jersey ~ APBT~5(ish)
Kato ~Rottie~ 5&1/2
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)


"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old July 24th, 2009, 01:01 PM
rainbow's Avatar
rainbow rainbow is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful BC's Kootenay Country
Posts: 34,759
Glad to hear that Kato has gotten a little relief.

Poor boy .....hope you get to the root of the problem soon.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 8.33%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.