Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM

One year old dog not eating much

Hi everyone,
I'm hoping for some insight about my dog.

Milly just turned One. She has been fully on adult food for about 2 weeks now and we did the transition over 4 weeks. She was on California Naturals Lamb and Rice puppy, now she's on the adult version of the same thing. All seems to be going fine. (FYI)

On Sunday I noticed that her nose looked a little swollen, as the day went on it got worse and the swelling was all along her nose and one eye. We called the emergency vet and they said it was possible that she had been bitten by a bug or something and to give her benadryl. We did that and the swelling went down.

Sunday was the same day that we noticed she was eating a bit less. She eats 2x a day and she had eaten her full meal in the morning, but only about half at supper. Yesterday she did the same thing, but did eventually eat all of her food. She usually gobbles her food so fast, so it's odd for her to not bother with it.

Today she hadn't eaten her breakfast when we went to work so we put some of her food in her crate. We also left a Kong stuffed with melon in there with her. When I got home today I saw that she hadn't touched the food or the kong (she ALWAYS finishes her Kong). As soon as she got out of the crate though, she had a pee and came in the house, ate the food and now she is working on the Kong.

We were just at the Vet on Thursday for her distemper booster. The vet gave her a little check up and everything seemed fine. Other than the change in appetite she is her normal self.

I'm wondering if something is wrong, or if she is just changing her eating time preferences? Or maybe the benadryl didn't sit with her well?

I'm not against taking her to the vet, but at the same time I don't want to spend $70 to hear that it's nothing to worry about either. KWIM?

Any suggestions?
Thanks so much!
photo attached for the cute factor
Attached Images

Old July 14th, 2009, 03:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She is a doll, Milly!

Hard to tell about the eating. She might just be feeling a bit off from whatever bit her or from the Benadryl. As long as she eats eventually and is showing no other symptoms, it's probably okay to wait for a bit since she's young and otherwise healthy.... With luck, the appetite issue will resolve itself. If she's not back to normal in a few days or if she develops other symptoms, of course, it's best to have her vet-checked to make sure it's not something that needs some attention.

Any chance she could have had a reaction to the distemper shot? How was she acting on Thursday night and Friday? Ours often lose their appetites for a while after a vaccination, but typically the reaction only lasts a day or two.

oh, and for us old fuddy-duddies who don't text...what does KWIM stand for? I can't puzzle it out

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 14th, 2009, 07:13 PM

KWIM Know what I mean
Old July 14th, 2009, 09:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh! , Cathy1! Those silent K's always get me!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."