Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 30th, 2009, 08:42 PM

help my puppy has cherry eye!

hi my twelve week old shih tzu has been diagnosed with cherry eye and im confused on what to do! the vet said that it is not really common in shih tzus but every website I check says it is. he gave me BNP ointment to apply every twelve hours and it should start getting better within 4-7 days and again the websites say different that it won't go away without surgery! it has now been six days and to me it looks worse! I called the vet and he's increased her dosage to every four hours! am I wasting my time and torturing my baby? should I get a second opinion? is there anything I can do to at least make it less swollen? does anyone know how much it costs to do surgery? im a newlywed with a new home so money is very tight but I want what's best for my baby! should i wait and pray it goes away? please help me!
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Performance Spaniels

Cherry eye is more common in flatter faced breeds. I'd think it would be common enough in shih tzus. If cherry eye is going to resolve on its own usually it happens right away. When did it first happen? As a puppy Smudge had it happen briefly. Massaging near his eye it popped back, and it's been 2 years no issue.

I think you need another vet and a second opinion.
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:06 PM

it has been six days since we first noticed it do you think its too late to resolve itself? i will try to massage around her eye while I look for another vet! thank you very much!
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Performance Spaniels

I doubt after 6 days it's going to go back.. I think it would be time to seek a second opinion when you can. It sucks and I'm sorry for you and your baby, but hopefully you will get a second opinion that makes you both feel better.
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Cherry eyes do not disappear. You can either get the surgery sooner or you can wait until you have the dog sterilized and do it at the same time.

I would get another vet opinion depending on the gravity of the cherry eye.

You say you have ointment for the eye. Usually the ointment is given if there is also inverted eyelids (forgot the clinical name for this). Is there more problems than just the cherry eye?

The operation is not ridiculously expensive. With a pup so young you may want to explore Pet Health Care. Most of the cost may be absorbed by this means however it is not cheap as you pay per month for the rest of your dog's life. Might be worth looking into if your pup was purchased at a petstore or by a random breeder as a reputable breeder would want to know about this situation. Dogs purchased at petstores will more than likely have problems now and down the road.
Old July 1st, 2009, 12:57 PM
Performance Spaniels

Pet health plans don't cover pre exsisting conditions. Havign already been to a vet means that it would be excluded from coverage.