Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 15th, 2004, 01:59 PM

Donations

I am getting a bag together to bring to the spca here in Brantford, so far I have blankets, towels, some canned cat food and some old cat dishes, any other suggestions on what else they may be able to use? I was gonna bring some cleaning products but not sure what kind of stuff they can use so if anyone can suggest anything else, that would be greatly appreciated.
Old December 15th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

check with them

Hi Coonlover,
The SPCA here on Jean Talon gets many food donations however, they do not use them as they have a specific type of food they feed all the animals. It might be a good idea to check with them to see what they need most of all to help the animals feel more at home. Just a suggestion. I think it's great you are lending a hand!
Old December 15th, 2004, 02:13 PM

I have also been doing the same here, so far I have blankets, towels, treats, cat toys, and food. I am taking it to the spca on Sat. I was also wondering what else they use.

3 very furry kids -

2 black cats - Pepper and Joey
1 Shih Tzu Puppy - Sophie
Old December 15th, 2004, 02:16 PM

The SPCA here uses all canned food donations (as they mix it in with the dry stuff they have). We also bring chew toys (heavy duty ones, like Kongs, because they often have big dogs/heavy chewing dogs... and they usually just get little chew toys). We also bring doggie treats/cat treats, and if we see collars/leads on sale we try and pick up a few to donate as well. I know one of our local SPCAs has wire bottom cages, so they always ask for rubber mats. Also, our SPCA asks for dog beds, especially size Lg and XL. Try going to the SPCA website, and looking at their wishlist... or specifically the wish list from your local SPCA (some of them are online as well)!!
Old December 15th, 2004, 02:41 PM

I just took a look at the wish list and it said peanut butter and cheeze wiz (lol) and canadian tire money, which I have alot of now so I,m gonna stop on the way and pick up some toys and cheeze wiz ( i just think that sounded so funny) and they also need bleach and paper towels. My bag just turned into a big box of goodies
Old December 15th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Great job I just picked up some dog food for the Humane society and as I was leaving the store they had really nice big dog stuffit toy so I couldnt resist. I always try and drop something by its not much but every little bit helps. Somebody just mentioned dog dishes and I have enough of them at home I could probably open a store so I think I will take most of them down as well. Now if I can just drag myself out before I go to the adoption centre.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 15th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Our HS always asks for bleach,newspapers,old towels(clean),blankets etc....baskets for kittens or if you have any rugs in the basement,like I did..anything that can make a cat/dog more comfy.
I go about once a month,but always make a quick exit,always crying :sad:
Old December 16th, 2004, 06:17 AM

Here is the list my spca e-mailed to me.

Any type of toys for both the dogs and cats are good (like little balls or bells
for the cats and chew toys(not food chew toys) for the dogs are great. We could
also use brushes, combs and a good pair of nail clippers for the cats. We are
always in need of kitten food (those little guys eat alot!!)preferably dry
kitten food, as well as non clumping kitty litter.

We could also use stainless steel bowls (little ones for the cats and larger for
the dogs)

Anything that gets donated to the shelter always gets used, so feel free to
donate whatever you want. As for the shelter itself, laundry detergent and
bleach as well as dishwasher detergent is something we use 24/7 and go through a
ton of it.

3 very furry kids -

2 black cats - Pepper and Joey
1 Shih Tzu Puppy - Sophie
Old December 16th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Kitten toys! The kind you can tie to cage bars, or a little stand-up mini scratch post with a toy dangling is good.

A cage full of kittens with no toys is a very sad sight.
Old December 16th, 2004, 08:37 PM

Well, we went shopping for some stuff yesterday and I got a bunch of toys for dogs and cats and food for both, a couple bottles of bleach and peanut butter,cheese wiz(lol) and 9 blankets that we had just sitting in the closet and 12 towels,and we brought the stuff there today, I left there soooooooooo sad and depressed after seeing all these animals with no home for christmas there was a momma cat with her 4 babies and it broke my heart, they all did.We spent about an hr there talking to all the dogs and cats. the one lady let us take two dogs out for a quick walk, they were soooo happy and than so sad to have to go back into the cages.... I wish I could take everyone of them home to love Only in my dreams.