Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 14th, 2009, 06:52 AM

5 dogs, 1 cat and a big mess

1 17 year old mixed breed just left the pack a month ago (still crying!)

The order of arrival in my home: All rescue.

2 greyhounds-both 9yrs old neut males (with me 7yrs)
1 cat-2 years old spayed female (with me a year and a half)
1 lab- 15 month old-spayed female (with me a year)
1 toy poodle-2 years old spayed female (with me 3 weeks)

You'll love this--cat pisses on the bed in the extra bedroom where her litter box is. Cat pisses on dog beds. Cat pisses in dog crate if there is blanket or bed. No urninary tract infection & does use litter box. Otherwise she doesn't care about the dogs.

Lab puppy bullied 17 year old, ramming him and rolling him-tried to hurt him. Now, 17 year old male is gone; she bullies the new 2 year old female poodle..I'm afraid she will break her back or just hurt her. She is out of control. Only time she is ok is on the "gentle leader" when she doesn't have a choice or in the car riding!!

Greyhounds don't care about any of the others; tolerate Maddie biteing at their face BUT will put Maddie-the lab in a submissive roll on her back with just a look.

Toy poodle ok with everyone, just pisses in crate and on the floor periodically.

What the hell? Where to start? Cat pissing, poodle pissing, lab out of control but housebroken!

Lizzy-poo
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:48 PM

Is the extra bedroom, where the litterbox is, blocked off so the dogs are not allowed access but the cat is?

Does the cat have somewhere else she can go to "escape" from the dogs?

Has the lab puppy been in for puppy classes/obedience training?

Have you consulted a behaviourist to correct the "bullying" by the lab pup?

Has the poodle been checked by a vet for urinary tract infection or spay incontinence? Was she properly house trained? Might be a good idea to re-do the poodle's house training as a start after her vet check.

Have all the areas that have been soiled been cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner to remove the urine smell? A regular household cleaner may leave some scent behind that animals can smell & they will continue to use the same areas. Any cleaner that has ammonia in it should not be used as the base smell is very similar to urine.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old June 14th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Senior Contributor

5 dogs, 1 cat

If the poodle (after vet check-up) is not urinating from a uti then maybe its from being bullied by the lab. The poor little dog doesn't deserve to live like that.
Old June 14th, 2009, 09:13 PM

The lab probably needs more exercise/training as well as one on one time with you. As for how things occur in the house is up to you, doesn't matter how they came into the home, you own the house, so you have to decide how you want to live. If you can't take the time with each dog, exercise, training and quiet time than you have too many dogs.
Old June 14th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Doggie Wench

The Lab pup just sounds like a...well, a Lab pup . Most young dogs get rambunctious and in-your-face if not getting enough exercise and training.
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:32 AM

Thank you.

I hear loud and clear training and exercise for the Lab--that may clear several things up!!. Please know, I am a responsible person and would not allow the poodle to get hurt..

This winter we had to keep the Lab as calm as we could because of a osteo-chondritis diagnosis (seeing if we could avoid surgery). Now it is time to get her back to the beach on a regular basis and tire her butt out. We went to obedience school with everyone except the cat and the poodle. Maddie-the lab is obedient (as she can be--) when she is tired!!

Due to your suggestion, I have put a baby gate up in the doorway to the extra bedroom where the cat has her litter box. This will secure this room for her and only her--a private space. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I did not consider the post spaying incontinence issue or uti, with new poodle--we have a vet appointment this week. We have also begun housebreak training from square one with her.

Can you suggest a good enzyme cleaner? I work in a very nice nursing home and will have access to purchasing products like this.

Lizzy
Old June 15th, 2009, 08:36 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Home recipe for cleaner thanks to LP -

1/4 cup rubbing alcohol
1/4 cup vinegar
1 cup water

Mixed in spray bottle. Blot the spot before to get as much urine up as possible. Spray spot liberally. Allow to dry.
Hopefully that will help. Kitty may pick another spot to pee on but should not be able to smell the urine in that spot.
Good luck

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 15th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

It sounds like you mean very well with all your rescued pets, but it's important to recognize your own limitations. All these animals need a lot from you - even more so because they're rescues. If even one dog is not getting what they need and becomes unbalanced it will disrupt the entire household and cause problems throughout the pack.

You got great suggestions above and it's good to see you are on board with making the effort. But I think you should consider taking a break from adopting until all the animals in your pack are stable. Good luck
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Compromised account

I just wanted to add, that I agree with most posts here. I think that you could maybe do some mental stimulation for Maddy, not just physical. Teach her things, keep her busy with Kongs (those are a blessing!! If you are not using stuffed Kongs yet - look it up!)

Mostly, you have to work on having a great recall with Maddy, so as she gets into bugging others - you cut it right off. If she doesn't stop - timeout, a chance to calm down...Once she is calm - reward (stuffed Kong, a bone to chew...) so she will keep occupied.

The poodle - Once cleared healthwise, back to square one of potty-training, but hopefully it won't take long to refresh that.

You sound like you know what you're doing and you are really trying to help the animals, so THANK YOU for that.

GOOD LUCK! ..and keep us posted on the progress!
Old June 18th, 2009, 04:58 AM

more enlightenment!

I have noticed as things begin to unwind a little; the bully issue with Maddie and Etta, is happening in the backyard only. When they are in the house they play together with squeek toys and balls, I see some jealousy from Maddie but Etta has taken to accepting submission and giving up the toy.

They were eating from the same bowl last night when I walked into the kitchen. They are fine in the car and on lead when we walk. It "appears" this bully behavior may be Maddie's attempt to play, but the open space in the yard seems to allow ALL her energy to build, get her too exceited and it is too rough for Etta.

Last night while my husband and I were out playing with the dogs, Etta took cover between the legs of one of the greyhounds....We have two separate fenced areas in the yard so my husband took Maddie and one of the greys there to bounce around.

RE-watercloset training is going well with Etta, except in the crate. I have begun coming home 3 x's a day to release her from the crate and try to rebuild the length of time she can successfully stay without an accident.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.