Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old June 4th, 2009, 06:21 PM

My mums rat is sick

Hi Guys need some advice its late here in uk but my mums just txt she has two rats rosie and posie they are about a year old little rosie is acting strange her eye has gone all black mum thinks she has gone blind in it, also her back legs have gone .
She will be going vets tomorrow but asked me to ask on here for any advice, I know nothing at all about rats but it doesn,t sound good any advice please x
'God turns clouds inside out to make fluffy beds for the dogs in dogs heaven,and when they are tired from running around and barking, the dogs find a cloud bed for sleeping, god watches over each one of them and there are no bad dreams'.
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:04 PM

Any advice anyone my mum is frantic x
'God turns clouds inside out to make fluffy beds for the dogs in dogs heaven,and when they are tired from running around and barking, the dogs find a cloud bed for sleeping, god watches over each one of them and there are no bad dreams'.
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

ratlady@ratfanclub.org

This lady is online and gives out brochures to educate the public and pet stores etc. It says to contact her with any questions etc... she's in California so 3 hours earlier, so might have some luck there.

Sorry, just don't know anything about them but I do think they are wonderful
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
It is common for old rats to loose the use of their legs -also referred to as hind leg paralysis.
Hind leg issues can come in different levels.
Some rats will occasionally tip over when walking.
Some rats will get turned about quite easily and have trouble determining where they are trying to go.
Some rats will learn to cope with the loss of their back legs and learn to drag themselves around quite effectively.
Others will be overwhelmed with the lack of mobility and go down hill.

*My vet recommended doing leg exercises with rats who have mobility trouble.
Stretch out the rats legs, slowly bend at the knee, (sort of like the riding a bicycle movement) rub the rats legs gently massaging the muscles, this will help the rat maintain circulation in their legs, hopefully helping them to maintain some use of them.
When rats start experiencing old age symptoms it is important to make their environment safe and adaptable for their current condition -such as a lot of elder rats have trouble climbing so make sure food and water is available on lower levels so they will be able to eat and drink even if they can not climb to the higher levels. Also make sure ladders and shelves are sturdy so they don't slip and fall.
They say old is 1.5 - 2years old as they don't have longevity.
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Thankyou BMDLUVER I have just Emailed your link, thankyou for your help will let you know what happens.x
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:31 PM

Oh no ! mum just txt the poor little thing has died
thanks anyway for your help x
Old June 5th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

oh dear, I'm very sorry. I think perhaps it must have been her time. My condolences to your Mum.
Old June 5th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry Hunnybunny. My condolences.

RIP little one

Hunnybunny - just to let you know that these little ones don't live long. I had 'Lilian' for 2.5 years. She was so smart, affectionate and quite the character. When they fall ill, it takes over their bodies quick.

Rats are wonderful pets. Again, sorry for your lose, as I know only too well how hard losing one is. People did not understand my mourning, but it was just as an important mourning as if it were my cat or dog.
Old June 5th, 2009, 02:46 PM

Thanks BmD Luver, mum said to say thankyou for all your help and the link for Debbie-raty lady who did email me back.
Thanks Benmax for your kind words which i passed on to my mum
Least the poor little mite didn,t suffer she went very quick
little raty Rosie x