Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 25th, 2009, 12:19 PM

You could walk to my place! I'm at Lakeshore and 29th, LOL. You're the first Etobicokian I've met on this forum, I think...

I just checked out Mississauga Animal Services. OMG breaks my heart to see how many cats they have. Well, I've just added another to my list of shelters to check, haha! I swear, if anyone outside of this forum knew how much time I actually spend looking for a second dog...well, I'm pretty sure I'd be locked up in the looney bin right now. But they don't understand that I am trying to find a new family member. I don't think I'm that picky, but I want to make sure that we are the perfect home for the dog we choose!
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfFashion View Post
BenMax, I know the one you are talking about! He's on one of the sites you mentioned. I was quite taken by him (okay in love with him), and he sounds great except for one thing: in his description it says that he would do best in a situation where someone is home "a great deal", and unfortunately that's not the case with us. Milo is never alone for more than 8 hours a day (unless we go out after work, but we always make sure we tire him out before leaving again, and actually this doesn't happen often because we have no social life lately!), but I'm not sure if they mean they are looking for someone who does not work/works from home? Aside from this one requirement, I think everything else would be a good fit. Unfortunately, most of the dogs I have to "decline", I do so because I don't think our home is good enough for the dog, not the other way around!
I think because he is blind they are looking for someone that is home during most of the day - which makes sense. He also will probably need another canine to guide him. I was fortunate to get this rescue to take him as I only had one day to try and save him. But isn't he the cutest???

I think that it is very responsible of you to decline some that do not fit your lifestyle and visa versa. I wish there were more people that would know what they can and cannot offer a potential pet. If more knew their limitations and what was involved in having companion pets - there would be less animals abandoned and unnecessarily euthanized.
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:43 PM

BenMax, he is a heartbreaker, that's for sure! And his name is hilarious Where did you find the little guy?

But if they're looking for someone who's home most of the day, then we're definitely not the right home for him Although Milo is always around, lol! I also wonder if the layout of our apartment would be a problem - it's two storeys, with the bedrooms and one of the bathrooms upstairs. I know other rescues I've seen with blind dogs specified they would prefer single-level homes, which makes sense. Not that I would mind carrying him up and down the stairs! Either way, I hope he finds his forever home soon.

As for knowing your limits...amen to that! I've seen too many people give up their pets because they didn't think things through beforehand. If I'm going to be completely honest, we probably shouldn't have adopted Autumn. I don't know if we were really the best home for her...we had next to no dog experience (my mom had a dog a long time ago that was fully grown and already trained when she got it), and were not prepared to deal with the behavioural issues Autumn had (some she still has). The difference is that we wouldn't give up on her, but too many people get in over their heads and feel their only option is to give the dog up. I love Autumn, but the experience has taught me to think very carefully about each and every dog I consider, and to make sure I'm equipped to handle the dog - financially, emotionally, training-wise, etc.
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:49 AM

Like I said on my other thread, I'm home sick today and I'm going to be spending a loooot of time on the boards this fine Friday. (All of the most recent posts the whole way down the list are going to be from "EndOfFashion", lol)

So, here's another update. Looks like we weren't chosen for the dog we applied for. So it's back to the drawing board, I guess. :sad: Seriously, I'm not sure we'll be approved by any rescue that does not function on a first-come, first served basis. There will always be a home better than ours - our situation may not look that impressive on paper, but we love our furkids to pieces and I think we're being overlooked because we're young, we rent, etc. Any rescue people want to add their to this?
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfFashion View Post
Like I said on my other thread, I'm home sick today and I'm going to be spending a loooot of time on the boards this fine Friday. (All of the most recent posts the whole way down the list are going to be from "EndOfFashion", lol)

So, here's another update. Looks like we weren't chosen for the dog we applied for. So it's back to the drawing board, I guess. :sad: Seriously, I'm not sure we'll be approved by any rescue that does not function on a first-come, first served basis. There will always be a home better than ours - our situation may not look that impressive on paper, but we love our furkids to pieces and I think we're being overlooked because we're young, we rent, etc. Any rescue people want to add their to this?
Don't take it personally EndOfFashion and don't give up. If I find something for you, would you come to Montreal? If you can make the trip, then I will let you know when we get a pug. You will however have to go through the screening process and pass 'my boss' but if you are really a good home, you will not be denied. BTW - we do NOT work on first come, first serve. We know what our dogs and cats need and we will find the right family so that everyone is happy.
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Don't take it personally EndOfFashion and don't give up. If I find something for you, would you come to Montreal? If you can make the trip, then I will let you know when we get a pug. You will however have to go through the screening process and pass 'my boss' but if you are really a good home, you will not be denied. BTW - we do NOT work on first come, first serve. We know what our dogs and cats need and we will find the right family so that everyone is happy.
BenMax, that's exactly what I mean. Any rescue that DOES work on a first come, first served basis would probably not approve us, because they are holding out for the perfect home. How can we compete with people who've owned dogs for 20 years, or who work as professional trainers or vets, or who own their own home with a huge fenced yard? I'm saying we would probably have a better chance of being approved by someone who DOES function on a first come, first served basis. You know what I mean?

I would come to Montreal if I could! It depends on the date, really. Unfortunately my days off are Sundays and Mondays, which doesn't always work for everyone. :sad: And of course, if my boyfriend has to be present (which I'm sure is the case with any reputable rescue!), that limits us to Sunday, because he works a regular Monday-Friday week. But you can definitely let me know if a Pug comes in and I can try to re-jig my schedule...

Last edited by EndOfFashion; May 29th, 2009 at 08:33 AM. Reason: typo

Tags
adoption, rescue, shelters