Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 12th, 2004, 12:09 PM
banned user

New Dog Questions :)

Well Yukon's first night went great! I was warned that he would cry if we weren't in sight, so I said I would sleep with him on the couch if he couldn't handle it. We put him in the crate and then went to bed... once we were upstairs he started to whine and I said to go to sleep and I didn't hear a peep out of him until 8am! I was so shocked!
Some things we know about him so far...
He hates being alone, even when you leave the room for a minute
I believe he's housebroken, although it's early to say, he hasn't messed on the floor.
He loves kids!
He loves to chew... when he goes for something he's not allowed to chew most things he won't pick up again
He loves his new food, we got Nutro natural choice, lamb and rice
He loves taking up the whole couch
He thinks he's a lap dog
He snores :love:

The only setback is he doesn't like our cats... we think
We have the cats in the basement right now but we have been switching them so they can smell each other. The first time he saw one he growled :sad: but the second time he saw one in passing he had the curious look on his face... so I guess that's an improvement? I know it's going to take a long time, but I so wish it wouldn't

I talked with Lucky about raw vs cooked bones and raw are way better from what I understand... can you only get those at a butcher? They had bones at the pet store and they're smoked, my husband bought one anyway because Yukon wanted to stay in the bone aisle... I take it these aren't good either? He hasn't been able to get anything off of it besides a little meat... so far.
He has an appointment for his shots next week and he'll be neutered in January.
Any tips or hints would be great for a new dog owner! I'm so thankful to have this site! :love:
I'll post some pics as soon as I get some.
Old December 12th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for taking Yukon!!

Quote:
He loves kids!
He loves to chew... when he goes for something he's not allowed to chew most things he won't pick up again
He loves his new food, we got Nutro natural choice, lamb and rice
He loves taking up the whole couch
He thinks he's a lap dog
He snores
Yup, he's a pit bull all right!

He probably hates being alone right now, because he's been bounced around and never knows if someone is coming back. Once he learns he's not going to be abandoned again, he should be okay. After I brought my dog home, I had a hard time getting her into my car because she thought I was going to dump her somewhere. Now she leaps in eagerly as she knows she always comes home.

Smoked bones - dogs love them, but they are full of nitrates and other nasties and I wouldn't feed them very often. Not to mention they are expensive! You can get shank(marrow) bones usually at your grocery store. They are sold as "soup bones". Make sure they are 4 - 6" long, so he can get all the marrow out.

The only thing that worries me is his reaction to the cats. You will have to take this very very slow indeed. Don't give him run of the house now, make him earn more freedom with good behavior. Teach him a very strict "Leave it" when it comes to the cats.

Don't let him do anything now that you do'nt want him to do for the rest of his life. I know we tend to spoil animals who have had a hard time in life, but they live in the here and now, and don't have regrets or sorrows.

Firm leadership and a routine are what will help him settle in more quickly and happily.

When do we get pics??
Old December 12th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes Sneaky,I too am a little concerned about the cats,but I guess you do what you have to do.They must be really un-happy having to stay in the basement,I know mine would be...
I am hoping they can all live happily ever after,but it must also be a strain on your whole family...I can't wait for pictures
Old December 12th, 2004, 05:18 PM
The Rat Terrier

Talking

I am absolutely no dog expert... perhaps a cat expert though. Anyways we got a Rat Terrier puppy a month ago and he now LOVES our cats... or love to chase and play with them. They are the ones that aren't so sure about this little bundle of energy. I have had many pets and had to deal with introductions. I don't know... eventually everyone learns to get along. Personally I would really keep at it with the introductions!!! Don't give up! But take the advice of the experts.
Our cats are great at getting away from Batman when needed. You just have to make sure there are lots of elevated surfaces for them to jump too! So once your guy is able to be with them you can feel good knowing the cats can escape when they want.

I have to say I have two friends with Pit Bulls and BOTH of their dogs fit your description... especially with the couch part!! Ha! Ha!

For me what has helped immensely is:
1./ Reading through almost all the posts on the training board (as well as some other forums... but this is my fav!).
2./ Researching every question that pops into my mind on the internet.
3./ Reading a few books. KISS - Puppies, Beyond Obedience (very new agey), and Good Owners, Great Dogs. As well as some dog training magazines.
4./ Watching "Good Dog" on TV!! I love that show!
5./Walking Batman LOTS helps get his energy out so he is well behaved at home.
6./ Lots of socialization (although it sounds like your guy has come from a few homes so maybe that should go slowly?!? Again I am not an expert)
7./ Making training part of his everyday life. Rat Terriers, like Pit Bulls are very intelligent and Batman really seems to enjoy learning what we like him to do.

You know I would strongly recommend you read "Beyond Obedience". Some of it is a bit over the top with the new age stuff... but April Frosts stories of training dogs from HORRIBLE situations is so inspiring. I cried through some parts of the book it was so moving.

Good luck with your new dog!! :love:
Old December 12th, 2004, 05:40 PM
banned user

Skeaky (woe woe )

You adopted Yukon... I missed that whole thread. What happened to the hamster? LOL ....
You're amazing. Sending you and Yukon great big (((HUG)))
Attached Images

Old December 13th, 2004, 09:50 PM
banned user

Thanks guys!
We changed our tune after reading these posts. The cats are running the house again and it makes sense that Yukon should know it is that way. We have him in a separate room and we bring him out frequently for potty breaks and cat sniffs (still no potty accidents, btw).

Well Bugsy... we decided to wait on the hamster now, my mom seems to think we are one animal short of a zoo, it's only 5 animals, geez lol. Yukon seems to be keeping us busy so any new additions will have to wait.

We gave him a bath and he's not so stinky! Much easier to cuddle with an unstinky pup

I took tons of pics with my brothers camera, but he forgot to bring the thingy to plug into the computer, he's bringing that tomorrow and I'll post them then.
Old December 13th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah another baby rehomed love these stories. It will take time with the cats but we know you will work hard at it and once Yukon feels more comfortable it will become easier too. Good luck and boy how long till we get pics!!!!!
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 13th, 2004, 10:10 PM
banned user

I have another question...
We were thinking of getting the booties for Yukon's feet for when it's super cold or snowing.... but I need a solution now for his feet. His pads are very dry and almost cracking, very rough, although not bleeding or anything. Is there some kind of dog lotion or something? Something that can make them not so dry and cracking, I know the booties can prevent that from happening but it doesn't sound like they could heal it.
Old December 13th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Senior Contributor

There is a product sold for sled dogs, to keep their feet from injuries - not sure what it's called. Also, something called "Bag Balm" that farmers use on the cow's udders seems to be quite popular.

In a pinch, you can rub in a small dab of Polysporin on his pads. This is not toxic if licked off.
Old December 13th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Bag Balm is great, I've used it often on stray cats. It was originally intended for cows' udders but is now available in any large drugstore. Also will get him used to having his feet handled for nail clipping later on. You just massage it in two or three times a day.
Old December 14th, 2004, 02:05 AM

Sneaky, I'm sorry that Yukon is having probs w/your cats. The test I did w/my dad's cat didn't help much, I'm soo very sorry.

He didn't growl at my dad's cat or try to go after him, then again he was on the other side of the door.

I told ya he's a hogger for the couch, and bed.

I can't wait to see pics of him! I'm glad your first night was good.

I'll have that contract out to you this week.

A harness for him was an EXCELLENT idea. that's what I need to get for my Petie.

I hope it won't be too much longer till your cats and Yukon can play nice.

I also hope your able to get on here tonight too ( i know you said you had trouble getting on here).

www.dogsdeservebetter.com
www.rescueboard.com
www.pitbullpets.com
Old December 14th, 2004, 02:25 AM
banned user

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to get some tomorrow, I know what it's like to have dry feet, it hurts to run them across a blanket, it's like sand paper. Lucky... the Polysporin, is that like Vaseline/petroleum jelly? It says on the container that it's used for minor burns and prevents drying and chapping... would this be ok, or is it toxic?

Well we had a little mishap. But it turned out very positive! I took Yukon outside to potty without his leash, just a collar. When we came back in I opened the door and apparently the collar wasn't latched or something because I had the collar in my hand without the dog in it! He ran straight in the house with all the cats in there. I ran after him, he ran right to a cat... sniffed it, the cat hissed and he walked away.
So now I'm wondering why he originally growled... I guess it doesn't matter, it seems like he doesn't want to hurt them. And I am SO happy about that. :love:

Sure thing Daisy... I'll let you know when I get it in the mail. And it's okay about the cat thing, it's already getting better!
Old December 14th, 2004, 02:53 AM
Senior Contributor

OH wonderful news about the cats!! Couldn't be much better than that!

Be very careful about his collar - don't want him getting loose on the street!

If you're taking him out to potty, I would advise using a leash. Lots of dogs don't like being grabbed or pulled by their collars.
Old December 14th, 2004, 03:10 AM
banned user

On walks he does pull, but out to potty and back in he's fine (that's why I didn't put the leash), just when I opened the door to go in he took off and I wasn't ready for it...
Also for walks we use the harness, and that one definitely snaps shut, other times just to go out, the yard is fenced so I'm not really worried about that part.

I'm still so happy about the cats!!! :love:
Old December 14th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Happy to hear Yukon and the kitties are coming along,he's such a pretty dog
I was looking at Digi-cams yesterday at Costco,asked a lot of questions the sales-person could not answer...sooo many different price-ranges and are the cameras ever small,I feel kind of like a dummy
Old December 14th, 2004, 07:05 AM
banned user

Quote:
asked a lot of questions the sales-person could not answer...sooo many different price-ranges and are the cameras ever small,I feel kind of like a dummy
Boy do I know what you mean! I wish there was something that could tell us what's a good deal and what's not, but I guess that would be too easy, a sales person will say anything to make a sale. I still remember when we bought our first computer 5 years ago, it was the biggest rip off. I made the mistake of telling the person I didn't know which way was up with computers and that I trusted what they recommended and they ripped us off It was the slowest thing possible, it had the smallest amount of space on it, the worst graphics, the sound barely worked and they charged us over $2000, it still makes me sick to my stomach! :sad: