Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 9th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Another tragedy...

A young boy was killed by two pit bull's this morning in Orlando. He was playing on the sidewalk with his sisters and friends, saw a football in the fenced yard and went to get it. Both dogs were taken away by animal control, blood was still coating their mouths...The dogs are up to date with vaccinations and have never had any complaints against them. No charges have been filed against the owners and none are expected at this point.

This is so very sad but I learned something new today with this tragic loss..

In Florida...there is no ban on specific breeds as far causing harm, however we do have a "dangerous/aggresive dog law". (I did know about that)

No breed is a target here.

Now there is talk about banning certain breeds. I know this will not go far. I feel for that poor child but adult responsibility comes to mind. In 1995 the same thing happened in Rockledge (space coast), a toddler wandered into a locked fenced yard with 2 Rottweillers, the female was in heat and both had just been fed. The male jumped the boy first, then the female. The childs aunt/babysitter was asleep next door.
The aunt was charged in this case, but both dogs were destroyed.

Now I really understand what the breed ban fight is all about in Canada.
Ciara & I were attacked in January by a chow/lab mix...this dog was already on the "dangerous dog" list and the law was on our side.
Ciara is the goofiest rotti that has ever graced this planet and now I need to fear a possible ban?

The more I am around people, the more I gravitate towards animals. That island is looking better each & every day. I may have to take a boat load with me when I go.
Old December 10th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

It is very sad, but at the same time, the child entered the dogs' yard, the dogs did not go out to attack the child. I hate saying that, because it sounds like I'm blaming the victim, and I really don't want to. These aren't dogs who attacked because of thier breed. And by banning the breed, how does that solve the issue of the previous attacks by non-pits? It's unfortunate that pits are the satan-of-the-day. And you know what, this may also have something to do with why the dogs attacked the child as well.
Old December 10th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with you Schwinn I feel bad about the child but I also think it is time for parents to be responsible for their children. I am really sick of dogs being blamed for parents that do not watch their children. How long did this attack go on and when did the parents realize their child had wandered off, when the police and the ambulance arrived? These dogs were in a fenced yard all they were doing was protecting their home and owners. As far as I am concerned these parents are just as guilty for the death of this child.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 10th, 2004, 10:54 AM

Unhappy

That is very, very sad, but where were the parents/guardians when this child started to approach the yard? why was he not stopped then? What about when he put his hand on the dog's toy? Animals are possessive, what should this dog have done? Animals do not reason, they can not understand this child is no threat. Big or Small we are all human, and that is all the dog knows. He was protecting what he does know, his property, his home, his masters and his toys.
My heart goes out to this little boys parents. But, my Pit's are my kids, and I would not stand for losing one of them to something that could've been avoided should the parents have been watching their children. It's so much easier to blame & destroy the dogs. :sad:
2 Medium Haired All Black Cats:
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
"PIT-BULLS ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS......YOU CAN NEVER HAVE JUST ONE"
Old December 10th, 2004, 11:51 AM

Such sad news

For everyone. The child and the parents, yes, but also the owner of the dogs and the dogs who were protecting their home.

What kind of parent doesn't know that their child has gone into someone elses yard??

I was attacked by a dog when I was a kid. I walked through an open gate to visit a neighbour (I was 12, older than most of these little ones who have been attacked lately). I was aware that they had a guard dog, but when I saw the gate was opened, assumed that the dog was in his pen. My mum knew I had gone there, but didn't realise I was stupid enough to go through the gates.

My error. The dog was not put down, nor did we charge the owners. Why would we do that...It was MY FAULT.

Incidentally, this dog was a German Shepherd and was a professionally trained guard dog. Due to the quick action of the owner, it stopped before any major damage was done.

In the 70's German Shepherds and Dobermans were considered the 'killer dogs', but people also accepted the fact that they were only doing what they were trained to do.

Then again, people used to accept responsiblity for their own actions as well. Now they need explicit instructions when they buy something at the store, not to put the plastic bag over their heads, or they might die.

I wonder if Michael Bryant will ban plastic bags next...you know, "for the good of the people".
Old December 10th, 2004, 12:08 PM

Update

The dogs are going to be put down. There have been no prior complaints about these dogs but there have been many against the owners and previous dogs. The attack happened on the street side of the fence, part of the fence was knocked down from hurricane Frances and not repaired. Two weeks ago the dogs killed 2 cats, but this was not reported because they were strays. Looks like the owners are facing charges now.
Old December 10th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm torn about having the dogs put down. I'm not sure it's fair to the dogs, but anytime an animal kills a human, that seems to be the result. I know this might be unpopular, but I'm not sure I completely disagree.

That being said, I don't think this is the dog's fault, either, though.
Old December 10th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I think the owners should be put down not the dogs they just need a responsible owner not idiots like these and I think the kid need responsible parents as well
Old December 10th, 2004, 03:55 PM
banned user

If the fence was down, the owners should have repaired it. And also ensured that a the height of the fence was high enough that no one could have gotten in ( you know what I mean).

The owners should be charged. They let these dogs loose, with a fence that was broken and children playing close by. You think after the two cats being killed. They would have thought about it.

I hope the charge them.
Old December 10th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm a little confused, though. Did the dogs leave the yard, or did the kid enter the yard to steal the football? I think that would make a difference in whether the owners should be charged or not.
Old December 10th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

from what the story said the child entered the yard to get a football
Old December 10th, 2004, 04:08 PM
banned user

from what Karin states the dogs were on the street side of the fence. If so I agree the owners should charged
Old December 10th, 2004, 04:13 PM

the problem is, it was Pit-bulls, so regardless of who is actually at fault, everyone will pay. The little boy & the dogs, with their lives. The owners, will pay cash. The parents of the little boy, will pay everyday, in sorrow, for the fact that they left their son unattended. The damage is done. I do not think the dogs should be put down, unless it is determined by professionals that they are not fit to be pets. I own Pit-bulls, I love them all more then anything in the world. But, I will admit that they can be dangerous if in the wrong hands, or raised wrong. Its a sad, sad story. that can not have a good ending. :sad:
2 Medium Haired All Black Cats:
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
"PIT-BULLS ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS......YOU CAN NEVER HAVE JUST ONE"
Old December 10th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I've often heard that if an animal kills, it can not be trusted. Any thoughts?

And if the dogs were out of thier yard, absolutely, they owners should be charged. But I don't think they were, if I understood correctly.
Old December 10th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

No fence was down.The dogs were not loose.

The child saw the football in the fenced yard and went to get it.

This is another reason to have signs up.Yeah I know,there are some young kids that cant read.But this is something parents need to teach them when they see the sign to stay away.And when I say sign,I'm talking about the one that says "beware of dog"We have a few up.And when I was in T.O at my dads,we had them up there.I can't count the times I had kids jumping over our fence to get their balls.Trust me,that was fixed in a heartbeat.

Schwinn,I truly believe that.I also believe if a dog bites once,they will do it again.There has been a few cases where a dog has been a repeat biter.
Old December 10th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

How about teaching your kid not to go into someone's yard to steal a football? It is very, very tragic he got killed. He didn't deserve it. But you know what, if it was just a bite, I'd be saying he got what he deserved.

Unfortunatly, it's probably going to be all blamed on the dogs and the owners. It's like when the cops beat someone. As gross as that is, everyone forgets that there was a reason the cops went there in the first place, and everyone forgets that the person who got beat was doing something wrong to begin with.
Old December 10th, 2004, 05:24 PM

Turns out it was 3 dogs involved, not 2 as I posted before. They are PBT mixes also.. I feel for these dogs, seeing the news tonight, they are scared to bits...the owners need to be there instead.

There is a AKC dog show going on now in Orlando and many people have been interviewed because of this latest tragedy about banning certain breeds...I still think this will become old news....and , on another note:
From Florida again...A pregnant woman walking her yorkie grabbed and killed a 130lb. Rottwieller by twisting his collar and choking him to death...she said "he was attacking her dog." The Rotti owner watched...screaming "he only wants to play!."..It happened so fast. IF the Rotti wanted the Yorkie dead...it would be. The Yorkie is fine btw.
The pregnant dog killing woman is being charged with animal cruelty.
I wish I could post links ...try checking the Orlando Sentinel or other google options..
Old December 10th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin
Turns out it was 3 dogs involved, not 2 as I posted before. They are PBT mixes also.. I feel for these dogs, seeing the news tonight, they are scared to bits...the owners need to be there instead.

There is a AKC dog show going on now in Orlando and many people have been interviewed because of this latest tragedy about banning certain breeds...I still think this will become old news....and , on another note:
From Florida again...A pregnant woman walking her yorkie grabbed and killed a 130lb. Rottwieller by twisting his collar and choking him to death...she said "he was attacking her dog." The Rotti owner watched...screaming "he only wants to play!."..It happened so fast. IF the Rotti wanted the Yorkie dead...it would be. The Yorkie is fine btw.
The pregnant dog killing woman is being charged with animal cruelty.
I wish I could post links ...try checking the Orlando Sentinel or other google options..
I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks that a 130lb Rotti that LETS them grab it and choke it to death is trying to attack ANYTHING is an idiot! I'm glad that she's being charged, and sad that she's able to reproduce! This is the kind of thing that needs to be put out in the media, and this is what fear-mongering does to people as well.
Old December 10th, 2004, 05:54 PM

Boggles my mind..

I have to admit, back when I first started working with animals, way back in the 1970's..I had to drop a 150lb male Rotti that was intent on attacking, I worked for All Breed Training at the time & I weighed 113lbs myself. This happened so very fast also, I turned around and he was already mid-air going for my neck..my boss was standing right next to me. I used my fist as I was taught to. "nuff of that, it still bothers me.

I hated Rotti's because of this first exposure to the breed, guess what? It did not last..

accidents happen, some involve injury's, some involve love...I love my Rotti!

Yes, there are bad dogs but mostly there are bad owners!
Old December 10th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Senior Contributor

This is the only article I found by performing a search on the Orlando Sentinal web site: (I found nothing about a prgnant woman): (But I only had so much time to search)

By Amy C. Rippel and Christopher Sherman | Sentinel Staff Writers
Posted December 9, 2004

A 4-year-old boy, whom family members described as an "angel," was mauled to death Wednesday by dogs in the back yard of relatives' Orlando home.

Myles Leakes was at his aunt and uncle's house on Fitzgerald Drive about 6 p.m. when he was attacked by at least one and up to three dogs, possibly pit-bull mixes, family members and Orlando police said.

After the attack, Mark Leakes put his bleeding son into his car and raced about two miles to the Orlando police substation on Anderson Street and Parramore Avenue, where the child's uncle works as a police officer. Myles was then taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center by ambulance, where he was pronounced dead.

"He was the one who was like an angel," said Rita Bridges, Myles' great-aunt. "Whenever you were in his presence, you just gravitate to him."

"He was his mother's shadow," she said.

Alex Gibson, who lives near the police substation, saw Leakes clutching the child in his arms at the substation as police and paramedics tried to help the boy. Gibson said Myles' face was covered with blood.

"He wasn't even screaming," Gibson said. "His dad was laying on the ground holding him. The dad was just crying."

Late Wednesday, investigators were trying to determine the dogs' history and what happened. Police said the child was visiting his aunt and uncle, Rhonda and Jerome Walker, at the house on Fitzgerald, along with several other family members.

Neighbors described the Walkers as quiet and nice. They said there are often children playing in the yard.

At the hospital emergency room, wails emanated from consultation room No. 2. A woman leaving the room with a cell phone to her ear said, "He's dead."

Minutes later a man in a bloodstained tank top was helped down the hall. More than three dozen friends and family members huddled on the sidewalk outside.

Family members said Myles, who had a brother and two sisters, was always the center of attention in the extended family.

Myles loved sports and idolized the Incredible Hulk. When family called him Myles, he would often reply, "My name's not Myles. I'm the Hulk," cousin Antoria Bridges said.

"Any sports involving a ball were his thing," Bridges said.

Police said two of the dogs were chained to separate trees and a third was roaming free in the partially fenced-in yard. It was unclear how many dogs attacked the boy, Orlando police Officer Mark Preeschl said.

About 7:30 p.m., Orange County Animal Control used a long lasso to snag the barking and growling dogs one at a time from the home's back yard. The one dog that was not chained to a tree had blood on its snout.

Peggy Meeks, Orange County Animal Control project administrator, said the dogs would remain at the animal shelter until the owners decide what to do with them.

Amy C. Rippel can be reached at arippel@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5736. Christopher Sherman can be reached at 407-650-6361 or csherman@orlandosentinel.com.
Old December 10th, 2004, 06:07 PM
AmInaL

"But for the grace of God go I" as my mother has often said.

I consider myself to be a great mother, but things happen, sometimes, no matter how close you monitor your children, and how many times you tell them to not leave the yard or go into the street, it can happen. It has happened to me. I'm far from a neglectful mother, but it only takes a moment, and you learn that you can never be too cautious.

Bottom line, a child was killed, blame whoever you want, or charge whoever you want, it will not bring back that child. That childs mother will never forgive herself, and will mourn that little boy forever.

Sometimes, we need to think of situations that we have been in that have not always been the best. I know some of the most overprotective parents that have lost a child in a shopping mall. Call it accidental or carelessness, children get abducted, do we blame the parent? Granted there are really crappy parents out there, who probably should not raise children, but we don't really know the story of this boys parents, and to judge them and blame them for his death is not fair.

God rest his soul.
Old December 10th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I understand what you are saying.BUT,why on gods green earth would you let your 4 year old play on the sidewalk while you are in a house.This is just me presuming the parents where in the house.Did I let my daughter play around on the sidewalk at 4 years old while I wasn't around?Heck no.Granted,we don't know how old the other kids are,but still,if they are older they are focusing more on playing then babysitting.Heck,2 of the dogs where chained while the other one was loose.Yet they state that he was attacked by one, possibly 3 dogs.Hello,but that tells me no parents or adults where around.

I have always made sure my daughter was by my side.I was a single parent.If she was outside in the front,guess what,I was right there with her.When we went to the mall,her hand was in mine.I was a very over pretective mom.And guess what,I still am and she's 17.

A friend of mine lost her son at the age of 5.Why,cause she was very careless and cost her her sons life.She left her lighter on the table.Michael took the lighter,went to his room,and went under his bed.He played with the lighter till his bed caught on fire.His room was infulfed in flames.His parents could not even get into his room.She knew she was to blame for it.Michael was her only child.This was 12 years ago.As parents,we cannot turn our heads for a second.We need to keep things away from them that will hurt them.And we teach them the things that will hurt them.

And no I don't want to start this thread on how to be a good parent.

As for the abductions,that a different story.My friends daughter was abducted and murdered.We all blame the babysitter.But I don't want to get into that.And my daughters friends sister was abducted and murdered.So lets please not talk about abductions.
Old December 10th, 2004, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
I've often heard that if an animal kills, it can not be trusted. Any thoughts?
not to get into the controversy of this but when are dogs more important than a human life, regardless of the circumstance? i own 2 dogs and have no children but i think my children would hold presidence before all. just a thought...
Old December 10th, 2004, 09:14 PM
owned by Tucker

How very sad, I don't know if I could face my pets again knowing what they did even though they were probably protecting their yard. It would be a hard call.
Old December 11th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

I think all parents are responsible to protect their babies, furry or not. How is it possible for a child to just wander into a yard? The child's parents should have been watching him. The dog's parents should have had the gate locked. Now all the babies are suffering the consequences, furry or not. My gate is locked to protect Den-Den. I fear someone stealing him or accidently letting him out more than him biting someone. Owners of dogs on the banned list need to be especially vigilant to protect their babies. I remember how I used to climb over the neighbor's fence to play with their dog. If I had been bitten, it would have been my fault. Here in California, the owner of the dog would be responsible for having "an attractive nuisance" if the child climbed the fence and was hurt. Same thing if the child climbs the fence to take a swim in the pool and drowns. The owner is liable because of having "an attractive nuisance". That is so wrong! I know of another person who lived on a corner lot. This one male teenager kept driving across the corner, damaging his lawn. So he sunk several metal posts on the corner and planted shrubs to conceal them. The teenager drove across the corner again, right through the new landscaping and tore out the underside of his car. Yep! The landowner was sued and made to pay for the repairs to the car! Bottom line - protect your babies! Don't let them be a target for anyone's stupidity, because they'll be the ones who lose.
Old December 11th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

A looong time ago one of my sons got bitten across the face by a GSD,he knew the dog to always be friendly,as did I and we were friends with the owner.In this instance the GSD was tied under a picnic-table and my son crawled under to cuddle him and his face was in the dogs mouth in a second..
No serious damage,just small puncture-wounds,but the backyard was facing a play-ground and was not fenced.
I did not blame Jack the GSD,but myself and the owners,Jack was tied and felt threatened and if he had really attacked it could have been much worse.
Old December 11th, 2004, 08:16 PM

If they were my dogs I would put them to sleep without hesitation. I don't own any guns either -- I don't want a dog who is potentially as dangerous as a loaded gun.

Whether the parents were errant or the child was errant or what have you is so beside the point for me that it was hard to read this thread. A bunch of people made mistakes and a child died. DIED. No one deserves to lose their child, and no child deserves to lose his or her life, no matter who made the biggest mistake!
Old December 12th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

I know what you are saying Moonie,the child was at fault as were the parents,the child died a horrible death and it should not have happened...
It's very unfortunate on both sides and no fines to the owner or $$$compensation to the parents can bring the boy back :sad:
It would be heartbreaking putting my dog down,but I think I would have to after he killed a child.
My neighbors kids often kick their ball into my backyard,but they always knock on my door and ask if they may go in to my yard,kids should be tought not to climb fences into other peoples property at any time.
Old December 12th, 2004, 04:57 PM

Ciara is a super uber goober, but.....

She did cause serious injuries to a guy that tried to rip me out of my suv in a local Wal-mart xmas eve, 3 years ago. I have tinted windows and the creep did not see her in the back, It happened so fast, he grabbed me after I parked while I was taking my seat belt off...she was defending me. He sped away as employee's and other shoppers gave chase. The police took a report but no one was able to get a tag #. Two weeks later, the same guy ran over a 76 year old woman in the same parking lot. I saw his picture on the news and called the police, he was charged with my assault also but he will never get of the iron Hilton in my lifetime.
I feel very safe around Ciara, I always say I have a "loaded Rottweiler", no need for a gun. She is a goober tho.
She has not shown aggression since. I am sure she will protect me, it's a given..but if she would ever hurt an innocent person, child or adult, I would have to say good-bye...with a heavy heart. I rely on our relationship and her training to recognize the difference between danger and not...so far, she's right on the mark, and a better judge of people than I.

One important lesson I have learned from the 25 + years working with animals is...all dogs will bite.
Old December 13th, 2004, 10:04 PM

death of boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moontamara
If they were my dogs I would put them to sleep without hesitation. I don't own any guns either -- I don't want a dog who is potentially as dangerous as a loaded gun.

Whether the parents were errant or the child was errant or what have you is so beside the point for me that it was hard to read this thread. A bunch of people made mistakes and a child died. DIED. No one deserves to lose their child, and no child deserves to lose his or her life, no matter who made the biggest mistake!
Well said and I agree 100%.