Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 6th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Spring Safety Reminder!!!

I just wanted remind everyone who may be doing some gardening/ beautifying their home with lovely plants and such about the toxicity of some plants.

I for one just purchased a beautiful potted braided azalea plant to put where one of my mom's plant had died over the winter. Yesterday, after a few days of trying - and failing- to get them to stop chewing on it , I put it in the laundry room and closed the door.

This morning I was checking out the new pet patrol website (cat rescue in my area) and randomly clicked on the "how to kitten proof my home" link only to see azalea was toxic to cats

I have seen this lists before but I never heard of azalea so it never registered with me.

My point is, be careful bringing home some things from your local garden center.

Btw Here is the link for "how to kitten proof your home" http://4961042315619873954-a-1802744...TsIDMmIQ%3D%3D

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:05 AM
-

With Bunduk around Onster why don't you go for artificial, of course make sure they are non-toxic, nothing is safe from the nominator

Remember everyone NO COCOA MULCH
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Senior Contributor

If my mom can't have real plants I think she'll kick me and the cats out Im taking care of them while she's away now...25 indoor plants to not kill! joy! lol

I just developed a role of old mystery film and am taken aback by the amount of flowers she had growing in the UAE. I didnt quite remember it like that I dont think she had many options cuz of the desert heat but boy did she plant alot of what did grow!!!

Name:  AD.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  58.2 KB

Puuurty isnt it.

Anyway back on topic... there is such a thing as cocoa mulch? As in mulch made from the cocoa bean? As in we are wasting good chocolate on landscaping??????? ..ok so that's not really on topic. hahaha. Im bad

Last edited by onster; May 6th, 2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I love the little wall planters, onster! Very pretty!

And the good thing about most of those 'toxic' plants is that in many cases, the animal has to eat a lot of it to experience a toxic effect. that azalea is one of the more mild ones!

Have Bunduk or Onnie shown any ill effects?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Ya I read for it to be toxic they need to eat 0.2% of their body weight ..or something like that.

No ill effects really. Bunduk's eye did that wonky one pupil more dilated than the other thing tonight again and had me worried for a bit tho. Maybe I should ask the vets about that...after a while it goes back to normal but its kinda odd

Old May 6th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'd definitely ask the vet about the pupil...that's pretty unusual. Maybe it's a reaction to plants he's eating

I freaked out when I caught Grace eating chives from the garden. The vet tech I talked to laughed when she looked up the toxic dose...turned out Grace would have to eat more than 2 pounds of chives for them to be toxic. That's a lot--even for Grace who can be a bit of a Nomminator herself... I don't think I have that many chives in the whole garden! I still keep her out of them whenever possible, though

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Senior Contributor

i dunnno hazel you gots to be careful with these nominators!!! 2 pounds is not that much for the determined, lol

Wait so are chives toxic to kitties too??? We have a huge amount of chives growing

As for the pupil, he's coming up for his annual exam so Ill ask then. It really is odd and the two times ive seen it its been the right pupil thats dilated more.

Old May 6th, 2009, 10:30 PM

I don't know if plants in the onion family are toxic to cats, too I've never had reason to have to check.

I do know that an animal that's gotten a toxic dose of anything can have unequal pupils. For a couple of falls, Ridge insisted on hunting out and eating toxic mushrooms. The first clue we noticed was the unequal dilation of the eyes. She'd go downhill really quickly, though--no quick recovery like Bunduk's Twice she needed IV fluids to flush her system. No lasting damage, though the staggering and falling over at the time was pretty scary!

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
i dunnno hazel you gots to be careful with these nominators!!! 2 pounds is not that much for the determined, lol

Wait so are chives toxic to kitties too??? We have a huge amount of chives growing

As for the pupil, he's coming up for his annual exam so Ill ask then. It really is odd and the two times ive seen it its been the right pupil thats dilated more.
I seriously doubt a cat would find chives tasty. I've never seen any of the neighbours cats or the strays eat any of mine.....not even the insects bother with the chives.

I find the dogs a lot easier to control than the cats when it comes to plant eating. I've totally stopped keeping houseplants. If the indoor cats were'nt trying to eat them, they wanted to knock them over.
I do have a lot of poisenous plants in the garden and always have.
The dogs don't bother trying to eat anything other than grass or sticks fortunately. They have been known to trample a few plants to death though.

Cindy
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:06 AM

I can relate, Cindy. I have to put tomato cages around all of the plants in the garden to protect from the Thundering Herd. *sigh* Between the cages and the fence around the garden I can usually keep half of everything from getting trampled. The Pack is nothing if not persistent!