Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 9th, 2004, 03:27 AM

Question Extremely depressed cats after death of dog

After the most horrible week of my life my dog was hit by a car and took a turn for the worst and had to be put down. I have 2 cats, 1 was an extremely good friend of the dog and a 2 yr old - they grew up together, the other an older but friendly cat.
Since my pup died they have been extremely depressed, crying, looking for the dog and not leaving me or my wife's side. They also won't leave each other. We took the kitten to the vet to see the dog, it made the pups day to see his friend. Also helped out the cat too. I have told them what happened, but do they understand at all and with the crying in this house they know somethings wrong. They keep looking for the dog, and are very depressed.

What do I do to help out my cats? I'm hurting enough but I need them now.
Any suggestions?
Old December 9th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy

about your loss. Yes animals mourn just like we do. I know when we lost Dallas , Missie stopped eating for 2 weeks. She is a little terri poo so this was serious. She almost starved to death. I had to get another dog to keep her company. I know it is too soon for you and it was probably too soon for me also, but I had to put Missie first. It was a good decision. Sophie helped heal all the hurt that was going on in our house. Dallas was a 95 pound huskey-wolf mix and Missies buddy. Give you cats lots of attention because they feel your loss. Here's a from our house to yours.
Old December 9th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Blukawy...welcome to the board :love:

about your loss, yes cats feel the grief as we do :sad: Your doing the right thing in giving your cats extra attention, they need your comfort as much as you need thiers. Time heals.... again....

Hugs to you, your wife and your furball family :love:
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:02 AM
banned user

so very sorry. It will take time for your cats, show them lots of love. They are hurting and needing you now

Best wishes
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:16 AM

My thoughts are with you and your family, your cats will be ok in time with lots of love from you, maybe if you have a blanket or toy with your dogs scent on it, it may comfort your kitties a little
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry to hear about your puppy :sad:
Always when any of my cats had to be put down,I brought them home to be buried in my backyard and let the other cats say their goodbyes :sad: I know people will say I am weird,but it seemed like they understood their friend was gone.
I know you cannot do that,only love,attention and time,just like with us humans,will make them feel better...
Old December 9th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

They really do mourn the loss of their companions. And no, you're not weird! Many people just do not want to acknowledge that pets have feelings because then they have to feel uncomfortable with how they treat them.
Old December 9th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Thank You all for your answers. I'll try anything I can for my pets, they are human right??

At least for myself I posted on the pet cemetary, I just have to keep the memory alive. Look for the Rottie/Shephard cross dog.
After the New Year I will get a new pup, but the wounds of this one have to heal. :love:
Thanks
Bill
Old December 9th, 2004, 05:15 PM
owned by Tucker

Sorry to hear about your dog. I know when we put our dog to sleep our two cats looked for him. But I think they understood that he was sick, befor we had him put to sleep. As for getting a new pup for them, well I got a new one a few months later and they hate him. Our last dog was older than them and never really bothered them, it was always the other way around. Now with our new pup he drives them crazy and sometimes I think they wish that he would get lost. It all takes time you never forget your pet, it just gets a little easier some days.
Old December 9th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so very sorry for your loss.I know how you are feeling.I lost my GDS Yukon Sept 20th.And I am still hurting.It will take time.My other GSD Tron is still mourning Yukons loss.

When I lost my previous GSD at 13,my previous cat Mousie was very close to Cujo.Cujo would let Mousie eat from his dish.And Mousie would cuddle up to Cujo and sleep.When I had to put Cujo down,Mousie lost his best friend.He would meow constantly,pace around,and didn't want to eat.I even tried to put Mousies food in Cujos bowl to see if he would eat.Nothing.As silly as this seems,I sat on the floor crying my eyes out talking to Mousie.I explained that Cujo was in pain and he went to doggie heaven.He looked up at me and licked my face.I gave all my attention to Mousie.Extra loving.He started to eat.When I got Yukon and Tron,Mousie hated them.He hissed and wanted nothing to do with them.I guess he knew that they were not going to replace his friend.Mousie lived to be 13.He went to the Rainbow Bridge 3 years ago.

Just give your furbabies lots of love and affection.They will heal in time.