Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 1st, 2009, 10:36 AM

Dog with Liver infection - possible blood parasite - help with identification

So my dog has a liver condition :sad:

My vet is still in the process of diagnosing the exact cause through recent blood work and a urine test. Vetinery care here is not very advanced, and there aren't too many previous cases to refer to. The doctor believes it could be a blood parasite, but has not reached a conclusion yet. He is discussing it with other vets from the largest university vetinery hospital here to identify what it could be, and he gave me the following details from the blood work today.

Gfemsa stain
Extracellular parasite
Similar to platelet thrombocytes
Liver functionality overload- heptomegaly- bilirubin

If anyone is familiar with this or has had a similar case, please feel free to share. I know there are some doctors who answer on occasion, I would really appreciate if they could give me some feedback on this.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:06 AM

Giemsa stain is a test done on the blood cells to show the difference between human and bacterial cells, also helps to determine the different bacteria present.

Extracellular parasite what was noted in the stain; extracelluar parasites enter the body but not the individual cells, they take nutrients from the cells and release substances into the body, most live in the gut, blood and lymphatic system. Extracelluar parasites include malaria, roundworm, whipworm

Similar to platelet thrombocytes I'm guessing this is supposed to be the description of what was seen when tested with the Giemsa stain.

Here's a microscope view of thrombocytes

Hepatomegaly is basically enlarged liver, more info found here bilirubin is a product of the liver often used to monitor the function of the liver and gallbladder.

Have they mentioned Malaria? Given your location that is my first guess

for your pup

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old March 25th, 2009, 06:26 AM

Growler thanks a lot for the very informative links. I apologise for not updating this sooner. More bloodwork ruled out blood parasites.

Now it's apparent she has liver disease. The vet took her off antibiotics last sunday, but her condition remains the same. Her stools are still light and unformed. This was what made me take her to the vet in the first place, since she's always had healthy stools. I'm worried that her condition will deteriorate as she's not on meds anymore, but the doctor assures to oberve for another week and do checkups regularly. Is there anything else that I could do to help Tashy/improve her health? And anything I could recommend to my doctor?

I've also read accounts online how people have managed liver disease with special diets. Tashy's meals are homemade, they have always been. I made some changes to the diet however. I stopped giving chicken a week ago for fear of homones/chemicals, instead give fish (Earlier she got chicken on 3days and fish on 4 days of the week). She also gets vitamin supplements and a liver tonic. Sprats (another type of fish) for calcium, egg whites and yogurt. My problem is since she became allergic to rice, I give her bread for carbohydrates. Would that be bad for her condition? My vet said it wouldn't, but just to be on the safe side as I've heard yeast isn't too good.

So if anyone has advice, diet tips or personal experience to share, I'd be be very very grateful. I am so afraid of losing Tashy too soon :sad:

Old March 25th, 2009, 09:52 AM

Tashy's mom, I'm so sorry your sweet dog is having health problems. She is a cutie-pie and I can tell you adore her.

I had a Scottish Terrier who had some liver issues along with many, multiple health issues. Please know that my dog had many things wrong with her health, the vets even told me that her case was "bizarre". We lost her last fall to kidney failure. I just wanted to relate some of the things we faced with her liver problems.

She had a liver biopsy (done when she had bladder surgery for cancer) which revealed bacterial hepatitis. We treated this with antibiotics and she was given a liver supplement called Denamarin. Denamarin contains SAM-e and milk thistle which enhance and promote liver health. It is a safe supplement.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/denamarin.html

There is another supplement called Denosyl, but it isn't as strong.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/denosyl.html

When the dog has a compromised liver, be very careful with the medications you give your pet. Many medications are processed via the liver or kidneys. If there is a weak link, extra stress is placed on other organs. I wish you and Tashy all the best. It is so hard when a beloved pet is sick. For Tashy .

Added: for carbohydrates, my vet recommended small pasta in addition to rice. Tipper went off her food and I had to prepare home-made meals. I used small soup pasta. You can cook it with broth for added nutrition.

Last edited by ScottieDog; March 25th, 2009 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Add info.