Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 24th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Compromised account

Vets in Montreal - your opinions and experiences

Hi everyone!

I am looking into the possibility of changing vets (my vet of 9 years may be leaving), plus looking for vets to recommend to my friends, that just got a puppy.

I would so greatly appreciate if you could drop a line of two, and tell me about your good and bad experiences with vets in the city of Montreal. I am in the east end and my friends are around Decarie area. The reason for this is that yes, I did the search of vets available, but I like to have some kind of indication about them, rather than just go and get burnt.

Sparky, Max and I thank you in advance!
Old March 24th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Doggie Wench

Oh Jennie, I think we have the best vet ever! Nothing but more than super positive experiences, so much so that I'll happily travel into town when our dogs need to see him.

Because Lucky is so anxious (especially in town with all the noise/traffic/strangers), our vet lays on the floor when we enter the exam room to greet him . He'll take all the time necessary for Lucky to relax before he examines him....from the floor. For Penny, who can be aggressive when meeting strangers, he comes out to the car to greet and treat her before we enter the clinic. He's just awesome ! Lots of experience with separation anxiety, fear-based aggression, and patient as patient can be. And this clinic doesn't make you spend all sorts of unecessary $ if not needed. I can't recommend them more!

The Animal Health Clinic
Dr. Gilmore and Dr. Seto
5601 Sherbrooke West (NDG)

They're located right off the Decarie .
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Luckypenny...do they deal with cats as well...
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Indeed he takes cats too. My sister sees him as well. She is very satisfied with the service and care. I on the other hand did not really find him all that fantastic, but that is just my opinion. I like my vet located on the South Shore...downside $$$$ and that alone is outrageous.
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I need to take $$$$$ into consideration. I have 5 cats of my own and 1 foster right now and a dog, so a good cheaper vet would be great...although I've never said the words vet and cheap in one sentence before....
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:33 PM

Clinique vétérinaire sur 4 pattes.

Dr Diane Berthelet mv,(ipsav) and her team are doing the very best and even more, they can for you and your pets.
I asked her what she knew about spaying Chinese Crested and she told me that she was willing to learn and asked other vets (US and Canada) .She took all the info I brought her and put it in Bambi's file. Everything went well.

http://www.vet4pattes.com/pages/en_accueilpag.html
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Doggie Wench

Yes, cpietra, they do see cats too. Actually, they even helped place the kitten Frenchy's co-worker found last year. Price-wise, they are average but won't charge unecessary fees that I find many other vets do eg., if there's a human equivalent med that one of our dogs need, they will write a prescription I can fill at a regular pharmacy if I ask. Also, if they've already seen your pet in the past, you don't have to bring it in for a consultation (avoiding those fees) for urine or stool testing.

Oh, there's another vet I quite like as well. You can tell he chose his profession because he really cares for animals...

Hopital Veterinaire LaSalle

Dr. Plasse
7755 rue Bouvier, LaSalle.
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Compromised account

That is awesome! thank you guys so much!!
Has anyone had any experience with Le Refuge clinic, that is affiliated with the SPCA??
Also, Clinique Veterinaire Monkland?? they are open late (8pm during the week) and on Saturday, which is great if I need to see the vet on a Saturday. Its still half-price than the emergency hospital, which is quite significant.

THANKS AGAIN!!! I truly appreciate all the information!!

There should be a website to allow you to search for vets, by location, services available and hours.. Sort of like when you search for a bank branch...lol
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Oh Jennie, I think we have the best vet ever! Nothing but more than super positive experiences, so much so that I'll happily travel into town when our dogs need to see him.

Because Lucky is so anxious (especially in town with all the noise/traffic/strangers), our vet lays on the floor when we enter the exam room to greet him . He'll take all the time necessary for Lucky to relax before he examines him....from the floor. For Penny, who can be aggressive when meeting strangers, he comes out to the car to greet and treat her before we enter the clinic. He's just awesome ! Lots of experience with separation anxiety, fear-based aggression, and patient as patient can be. And this clinic doesn't make you spend all sorts of unecessary $ if not needed. I can't recommend them more!

The Animal Health Clinic
Dr. Gilmore and Dr. Seto
5601 Sherbrooke West (NDG)

They're located right off the Decarie .
I keep hearing good things about this clinic and about the vets there. I am going to apply in the summer. Do you know what they think about natural feeding and or what vaccination schedule they reccomend?
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulipRoxy View Post
I keep hearing good things about this clinic and about the vets there. I am going to apply in the summer. Do you know what they think about natural feeding and or what vaccination schedule they reccomend?
By natural feeding, do you mean raw? Our vet knows that we feed raw and hasn't tried to discourage me but has mentioned that the clinic has had to treat dogs who have gotten ill eating the pre-made/ground store bought varieties. As for vaccinations, they are right up-to-date on the new protocols .

Jennie, I'm not familiar with Le Refuge, but have had the opportunity to meet two of the vets from Monkland (foster spays). They seemed really nice but I don't have any more experience with them than that . I do know, though, that they allow use of their space for Rescues' adoption days .