Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 16th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Doggie Wench

I won't lie, it's a long process, especially if Koda is lunging and can only be stopped with physical restraint. We've been working on it with Penny for over two years now with the help of an excellent behaviorist/trainer. She doesn't sugar-coat anything and taught us to micromanage every situation that may set Penny off. If I had to quantify it, I'd say she's progressed about 50% but I will never say with confidence that she'll be 100% with strangers, ever. (Lucky will have fear-based aggression episodes but won't react unless he feels he's cornered. He's 99% better as long as the environment is controlled).

If you are able, the first thing I'd recommend is a behaviorist with lots of experience in reactive aggression. Please ask for and check up on references. Here's a site that may help you locate the right person to work with you. Enter your city and province for a list.

http://www.cappdt.ca/trainers.jsp

I think an experienced trainer/behaviorist would be your best bet as they are able to see Koda in action and be in a better position to teach you "hands on" what you need to do.

In addition, I'd recommend you read Brenda Aloff's AGGRESSION IN DOGS: PRACTICAL MANAGEMENT, PREVENTION & BEHAVIOUR MODIFICATION.

There is no 'quick fix' that will make Koda better by tomorrow. It's just like with any medical condition. You have to determine the cause, come up with an appropriate treatment, and follow through. You may find you have to tweak and adjust to what works best for you and Koda in your particular situation and environment. What helped me is to understand that there is a possibility that there may not be a 'cure' but there is management that keeps Penny, as well as those around us, safe.

ETA: I know that this is a hot topic still up for debate but, I have to mention, corrective training, and I will specify in our case, only served to exacerbate Penny's aggression. Just something to consider.

Last edited by luckypenny; December 16th, 2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:32 PM

Thanks luckypenny. I read about everything I could on that site without paying for a membership. I've printed out the list of trainers in my area and I am going to contact them and go from there. In the meantime, I went to Chapters this afternoon and bought some dog behavior books. I know it's not a complete solution, and may not even play into part of this puzzle, but I would like to read up on aggression and see what I can learn. I'm also googling a lot.

One thing that crossed my mind (which may or may not be relevant) is that the way our current house is set up Koda's bed and big Rubbermaid full of toys and bones are right near the front door. Maybe he was playing before we arrived and thought this stranger was too close to "his" belongings? Maybe that's silly, but it's just a thought. We are moving next week and the way the house is set up Koda's things (bed, food, kennel, toys) will not be near the front door. We do typically come in/out of the back door but my sister happened to park in the front this time. I'm just thinking of things that Koda saw as different.

I'm hoping (I have no idea if I'm even thinking correctly here, or just hopeful) but I'm hoping that when we move Koda wont be so territorial at first over this foreign space, since it's new to him too. We're going to be having lots of people coming in and out while we move (and someone dedicated just to Koda's needs).
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm soooooo with Marko on this one.

Yes dogs sense things at times.BUT how many of you have been barked at by a dog? Does that mean your a bad person? I would think not...

I can tell you I have been barked at SO many times..Hmmmm,and as far as I know,I'm not a bad person.....

Maybe Koda didn't like the idea of a stranger walking in with you and your sister??????

Has Koda acted this way with any other strangers walking in the door?

See,I can walk in the door with a stranger,and Tron will not show any aggression. No barking or growling what so ever..Mind you,do something stupid and he will be right in your face....
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:06 PM

Hi all. I just wanted to post my update.

Thomas was away for Christmas so we weren't able to see how things would go a 2nd time round until this past weekend. Thomas and my sister came over for a Wii night.

Before they came over my hubby and I took Koda for a 45 min walk to get some of his energy out. And about 10 mins before they came over we put Koda in his kennel, gave him a few toys and a treat. When they came to the door there were a few barks (3 or 4) but nothing major. Just Koda's "who's there" type greeting. We ignored Koda in his kennel for the most part while we showed Thomas around our new house. Thomas told us that he definitely noticed Koda was calmer, in general.

Anyways, we ignored Koda completely until he was content in his kennel and got to hear Thomas' voice for a bit. We all started playing the Wii. About 10 minutes into the game Thomas (to my surprise) asked if we wanted to let Koda out to say Hi. I put Koda on his leash and took him into the living room. We all kept going on as normal (playing the game) and I kept Koda in a sit/stay until the game round was over. He was very, very good. I told Thomas to let us know what he's comfortable with, and when, regarding Koda. He said that he wouldn't mind if we let Koda go, since he was paying no interest to Thomas at all. So I dropped the leash, and Koda didn't move, he was quite happy just sitting there. I grabbed a few treats and gave them to Thomas. Thomas called him over, gave him one and the rest of the evening went very well, and normal! After a few sniffs to Thomas (no barks, growls or lunges) Koda retreated to his bed to chew on his bone. Thomas was very impressed with how the "normal" Koda acted. I think he was expecting a repeat of the last time. Everything went so well. I was very pleased.

Now, this didn't come without work. With Christmas and just moving we don't have the spare cash for a behaviorist right now, but it's not out of the question for down the road. My husband and I put Koda back in strict training mode. Do as we say, nothing more. He had to sit/down/stay for everything. Food, toys, treats, car rides, walks, everything. This is how we trained him as a puppy, but I have to admit as the years went by it became less of a routine. We have been working hard making sure he still knows who is alpha. He's responding wonderfully. I have also read 2 dog aggression books which have helped with my understanding of the situation.

I know it's not all solved, and it's not a complete solution, but I do think we are making great strides and progress.
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Doggie Wench

That is wonderful news . You let Koda meet Thomas on your terms and when it was made clear to him that he had nothing to fear. Great job .
Old January 10th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Live well, laugh often

Good work Danam and yeah for Koda .
Old January 10th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Danam, I was wondering if maybe someone was messing around the house while you were out and Koda was by himself? As in burgular? I mean it was around Christmas time and that is the time a lot of break ins happen.

He might of been hearing a noise and his house protection mode was on, then when your sister and friend came in thru the front door, he heard thomas' voice which was strange. So he thought u were in danger.

Just a thought.

I am glad he is back to his old self again.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Danam, I was wondering if maybe someone was messing around the house while you were out and Koda was by himself? As in burgular?
As scary as that is to think of, I can't rule it out. I wasn't there so I can't say for sure.

While talking with Thomas that night, he did admit that he also approached the 2nd meeting differently. He suggested that maybe since he was behind Kim while coming inside, Koda was so excited to see Kim (which he was) and then POOF appeared a man dressed in black behind her, and it may have set him off. We won't really know for sure but I am considering a few theories. Someone was around the house so he was in "guard" mode, possibly the cat was bullying him and he was in defense at the time, or he was just startled.

If only doggies could tell us!