Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 30th, 2003, 02:32 PM

I have a chewer on my hands!!!

Hi everyone,

Admittedly, I have not pored through all the posts yet, so this could have been answered before, if it has, please point me in the right direction!!

I am the new mommy of a delightful 6.5 year old Great Dane, Laurel (I will get pictures soon!!). She is well mannered, listens more than my husband does, and is all together one of those dream pets that come into your life and all you have to do is love them and feed them and that's it. She is my first dog, and I admit, I am spoiled.

However, Laurel has good teeth. REALLY good teeth. Her foster home told me she does not do well with cheap toys, and that she usually didn't care too much about stuffed toys. She had a rope with a ring on it that she loves, but there is one problem. She destroyes everything! We got her a stuffed squeeze toy (watching her carefuly so she wouldn't rip it apart and swallow the noise maker inside) and the thick rope is now but a thread, and we've taken the ring (once securely attached to the rope) so that she doesn't swallow it.

I want to get her toys, obviously, but I don't know what kind. I was thinking of a cong, the hard rubber ones that I figure will take her longer than a day to destroy (and there's no stuffing or threads to distribute in my house!)

What would you all recommend? Also, I read somewhere that rawhide is bad for Danes since it can cause them to bloat. What would you suggest I have her chew on?

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it!
Old December 30th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Talking

Really good teeth huh !! Ha ha

Well I'd shy away from any form of rawhide chews, they can easily break off large portions which don't digest and get lodged in the dogs intestine. I don't know of how many surgeries my vet has performed because it causes blockage then gangrene. It's an awful painful thing for a dog to go through.

I hate rawhide!!

Now what about natural leg and knuckle bones from a butcher?

And for play, what about large basket + foot balls? They're tough and take a LOT to actually rip apart. They mostly just go flat and the dogs love it just the same after they puncture them LMAO!!

I'd shy away from base/softballs cause they're easy to rip the outer shell off and it shreds to pieces.

Tennis balls nope, they peel them and eat the rubber and green fuzz which is also toxic to them in their digestion.

The kongs are great, get the big one and I believe the toughest one is black if I am not mistaken.

Still chewing at that age huh! May just need time to settle in as well, sounds like life has been pretty hectic and troubling for this doggie.

What does she normally like to chew on or destroy? Usually the same sort of things like shoes?
Old December 30th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Poo, I just wrote a whole reply & my connection went belly up!

Hmmm...you have a Destructo-Dane! We have Daphne the Destructo-Rott. She's about three and is a real power-chewer.

I'm a fan of giving real bones - large ones like beef knuckles & shanks, for chewing. I take them away when they start getting a bit dried up. I actually feed raw - whole bones & all - and the only time a dog has ever choked was Cooper, he choked on the knot off the end of a rawhide. Scared the bejeezus outta me. And him, I imagine.

Black Kongs are great. Save your receipt, they are guaranteed. Daphne can reduce one to a little pile of black rubber bits in an hour.
Other things:

Nylabone makes a "Galileo" bone. I guarantee Laurel can't chew it up, those suckers are hard.
Real car tires. Not steel belted. Those are great dog toys. Little wheelbarrow or bicycle tires are good for inside toys.
Climbers' rope, knotted however you want. It won't fray and you can make sturdy tug toys or whatever.
Old December 30th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I've heard that Gumabones are good. Basketballs are good to, because they're so big the dog can't get it's mouth on it. You can get some bowling ball type of dog toys. They're biger than a bowling ball, bouncy, but hard and slipery plastic. Also these toys are mostly too big for the mouth to fit around. I'll check the name of them when I go to the petstore next. There are toys called Tire Biters. Some of them are as big as a wheelbarow tire, with a rope through the middle. They look fun.
Old December 30th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Senior Contributor

The knuckle bones are great.We have a pet store that sell the big smoked ones.Damn they smell good.And they have the smoked ham bone.I was in before christmas.There was a whole leg bone of the cow.Smoked and huge.I went it today and it was gone.Hubby was with me.I told him about it.I asked the girl.And someond did buy it.She showed me a pic the owner took.Gee and guess what breed it was.Yup,a beautiful Great Dane.It was as long as he was.LOL...These bones are great for dogs.My guys get them all the time.They love them.So check out your pet stores.They may carry them.
Old December 31st, 2003, 09:15 AM

Wow, thanks for all your help guys, I REALLY appreciate it! To answer your question, Luba, she only chews toys, but I think that's just the way she plays with them. She is really rought with her toys, whipping them around. She is not a sublte girl, she just drops the toy in your lap for you to throw so she can go pounce on it. We got her a Kong, and that kinda hurt when she threw it at me the first time!!! She's having a great time with it, and I think I will go get her a real bone. My husband's going to love that. He'll feel like Conan the Barbarian with his huge dog chewing on a huge bone sitting next to his lazyboy. Hehehe.
She has had a bit of a hard time, she was originally from Indiana, and they said she was shuffled around a lot before she found me, but she's a sweetheart. Only went into the garbage once, and she ate some baked goods I made once. I suppose she was testing her boundaries. It's just hard because we don't know how her previous owner treated her, and what he did let her do and not do, and at her age, I feel bad reprimanding her for something that was ok for her whole life!!! Although I'm sure he didn't let her eat garbage, but still, that's a WHOLE other thread!!
Thanks again and Happy New Year (a bit early, but what can you do?)