Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Fjellklatrer Fjellklatrer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 2
Making Patties

I am getting a new pup in a few days, a Great Dane, and I have decided to feed him barf. In preparation, I was going to begin making up some patties and freezing them; however, I have a problem:

If I use a mix of roughly 1/2 ground meat and 1/2 vegetable/fruit mush (what is suggested in the Dr. Billinghurst books), the mix comes out way too soft to form patties from it.

Do you just feed the soft meat and veggie goop, or do you do something to thicken the mix up enough to form the patties?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:12 PM
chico2's Avatar
chico2 chico2 is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 26,593
Welcome to our Forum Fjällklättrare,I have no clue,just answered because I see you are in Norway.
We have tons of knowledgable people here,who feed raw,so stick around,you'll get answers soon.
Oh and we love Great Danes.so if you can post pics,please do..
__________________
"The cruelest animal is the Human animal"
3 kitties,Rocky(r.i.p my boy),Chico,Vinnie
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:18 PM
luckypenny's Avatar
luckypenny luckypenny is offline
Doggie Wench
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Philippe-de-Laprairie, Qc
Posts: 11,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjellklatrer View Post
I am getting a new pup in a few days, a Great Dane, and I have decided to feed him barf. In preparation, I was going to begin making up some patties and freezing them; however, I have a problem:

If I use a mix of roughly 1/2 ground meat and 1/2 vegetable/fruit mush (what is suggested in the Dr. Billinghurst books), the mix comes out way too soft to form patties from it.

Do you just feed the soft meat and veggie goop, or do you do something to thicken the mix up enough to form the patties?

Thanks for the help.
Welcome to pets.ca Fjellklatrer .

Dr. Billinghurst recommends 60% rmbs (raw meaty bones) and 40% vegetables, with some organs as well. Does your ground meat include bone and organs? Please don't forget to add these two as they are essential in your puppy's diet.
__________________
"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." -Will Durant
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Fjellklatrer Fjellklatrer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 2
My meat does not include bone, but it does include organs. I have not yet found a place that will make the ground meat with the bones in it. Per 1kg of meat and vegetables, I added 100g of liver.

I thought the 60/40 rule was RMB/pattie mix. According to the books, the patties should be 50/50 to 40/60 meat/veggies or fruit. I started with 50/50 just to keep it simple.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:44 AM
TulipRoxy's Avatar
TulipRoxy TulipRoxy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 312
The meat/organ/ vege patty mix should be about 40% if you are following Billinghurst. Then the other 60% should be RMB( chicken necks, turkey wings or legs, lamb riblets, pork riblets) basically anything that has relitively soft bone, non weight bearing bones are best, and has an approx 50/50 meat to bone ratio. Ahh too many ratios!

When you make the patties I find it helpful to drain some of the water out of the veges first so they stick together better.

Good luck with the puppy!
__________________
Miranda
Tulip Roxy Nelly
Sencha and Alaska
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 8.33%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 PM.