Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 16th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Unhappy My 6 week old puppy has had 4 Grand Mal Seizures in 36 hours

I am the very proud new parent of a 6 week old basset hound puppy named Horton. We brought him home on Saturday night. Sunday night at 11:30pm he began to seize. I have never seen this in a dog or puppy and I rushed him to the Emergency Vet. Since I didn't know what happened and the seizure was over before I got to the vet, the vet couldn't do anything. Horton had another seizure on Monday morning around 6am and I took him to our vet at 7am. The vet is still running test on him today, however he seized again at 2:30 yesterday afternoon and 2:30 am last night. The vet seems stumped and is suggesting that it could be portosystemic shunt. This is tearing me apart and I don't know what to do. The breeder I purchased him from is refusing to take ANY responsibility for him, and says he was fine until I took him home. HELP!?!?!
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry that you are having such problems with your new one. The problem here is multi-folds.

Firstly 6 weeks is FAR too young for this pup to be away from the mom. In saying this it has nothing to do with the seizures.

Secondly this is not a good breeder AT ALL. Did you recieve any health guarantee from this breeder? Are they with the AKC??
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

No reputable breeder would have sent home a puppy at 6 weeks of age and then deny any responsiblility if the puppy is ill.
I hope your vet can get your little one well again.

Cindy
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
No reputable breeder would have sent home a puppy at 6 weeks of age and then deny any responsiblility if the puppy is ill.
I hope your vet can get your little one well again.

Cindy
I totally agree however I am curious if there is a health guarantee. Also if this breeder is with the AKC then they can be reported.

Regardless, if this dog goes back to the breeder...well we all know what will happen.

Please OP please respond to my questions. It is very important.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the responses

He did come with a health guarantee, but they are refusing to honor it in anyway. I don't want to give him up and I won't give him up!!! I'm so in love with him! I do however, want and need them to take at least 50% of the responsibility, especially monetarily. Including the cost of Horton, I have spent over $1000 in 48 hours. They are AKC breeders, however they refused me papers for Horton because they said it was the bloodline the wanted to compete with and did want to ever compete against their own line. That was fine with me, I just love the breed so much, and I have no ideas of ever being a breeder. Does this help? Can anyone give advice on where to go from here? I didn't know 6 weeks was too young to adopt a puppy, I guess that's my fault.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:23 AM

He did come with a health guarantee, but they are refusing to honor it in anyway. I don't want to give him up and I won't give him up!!! I'm so in love with him! I do however, want and need them to take at least 50% of the responsibility, especially monetarily. Including the cost of Horton, I have spent over $1000 in 48 hours. They are AKC breeders, however they refused me papers for Horton because they said it was the bloodline the wanted to compete with and did want to ever compete against their own line. That was fine with me, I just love the breed so much, and I have no ideas of ever being a breeder. Does this help? Can anyone give advice on where to go from here? I didn't know 6 weeks was too young to adopt a puppy, I guess that's my fault.
Sorry....I'm new to forums. :-)
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Ok Adriann22 - then you must get a hold of the AKC. I am hoping that someone here can lead you into the right direction as I am with rescue and do not have contacts with breeders.

This is plain wrong Adriann22 and you should not accept this. This breeder is using the AKC as an umbrella but it will not protect them if you pursue this matter. Get their comments in writing if you can...or e-mail anything that is indicating that they will not honour the health guarantee.

Again I am not surprised however this is a horrible situation.

I am certain someone will assist you on what you need to do next.

I wish you and your pup luck.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Geek Club CEO

If they are legitimate AKC breeders (although things seem fishy to me, the age, the refusal to honor health guarantee, something's not right here)...then you need to contact the AKC directly and have them help you deal with this situation.

I'm sorry you're going through this. It sounds like you have a very irresponsible and unethical breeder, in many ways. I'm sorry you and your puppy are suffering as a result of their (in)action.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:29 AM

I just find it so hard to believe that they didn't notice him having seizures at all. If I have witnessed 4 in 36 hours. They are trying accuse me of neglect, which really makes me angry! I have tried to be nice and give them the opportunity to offer to do something without being rude and demanding that they do something. I have been communicating over email with them. However, more than them, I'm concerned for Horton and his chances of survival and his chances of a normal life.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Ok Adriann22 - then you must get a hold of the AKC. I am hoping that someone here can lead you into the right direction as I am with rescue and do not have contacts with breeders.

This is plain wrong Adriann22 and you should not accept this. This breeder is using the AKC as an umbrella but it will not protect them if you pursue this matter. Get their comments in writing if you can...or e-mail anything that is indicating that they will not honour the health guarantee.

Again I am not surprised however this is a horrible situation.

I am certain someone will assist you on what you need to do next.

I wish you and your pup luck.

Thank you for being so concerned!! My first basset was through a rescue, but he was 6 yrs old when I adopted him. He was the love of my life...therefore it is so hard to make sense of this situation. I will take action.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriann27 View Post
Thank you for being so concerned!! My first basset was through a rescue, but he was 6 yrs old when I adopted him. He was the love of my life...therefore it is so hard to make sense of this situation. I will take action.
Good for you Adriann27. Fight this. Keep all your communications with them well logged for reference. Personally I would pursue this to the end.

Please follow Bendyfoot's recommendation of contacting the AKC. Hopefully they will fine them or revoke thier membership with the AKC. Don't be so nice now - get down and dirty with them.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

I guess the first question I have is - did you actually go to the breeder's home to get your puppy?

I hate to say it - but given what you have said - you are either dealing with a miller or a byb. Neither one gives a darn what happens to a puppy once they have been paid for it. Chances of your getting your money back or getting any kind of monetary compensation for vet bills are slim unless you get a lawyer.

If I am not mistaken - according to AKC, any puppy registered with AKC must be sold with papers. You can check with AKC on this. There is a possiblity that the parents are not papered and this could be very serious if they were represented to you as registered. If this is the case, take all your vet bills and anything you get from AKC regarding registration of the pups and parents, your health guarantee, a vet statement about what is wrong with the pup (as far as causes) to your local police station. This is fraud and the "breeder" can be charged. Also - check your State laws (or the State the "breeder" lives in), several States have laws on the books stating that it is illegal to sell a puppy under 8 weeks of age.

Also - go to www.petshoppuppies.com and fill out the questionaire. There is a possibility that your "breeder" is USDA registered and this website will be able to tell you that and give you information on USDA inspections.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Good for you Adriann27. Fight this. Keep all your communications with them well logged for reference. Personally I would pursue this to the end.

Please follow Bendyfoot's recommendation of contacting the AKC. Hopefully they will fine them or revoke thier membership with the AKC. Don't be so nice now - get down and dirty with them.

I intend on it as soon as we know exactly what is causing the seizures. Please remember my little boy today. He so little and has been through so much.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow excellent advice LavenderRott! Go for it Adriann27. You have nothing to lose at this point.

Best to you and your pup. We here at Pets are all praying for you both.
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:55 AM

I did go to there home, and have seen the facilities that they have. I've seen "puppy farms" and this didn't seem to be one at all. They only have one breed and have pictures of past puppies. They seem very caring and proud of what they do, which is why this is all very confusing to me. I will check all of this out! Thank you for the great advise!
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:21 AM

One more question....does anyone know the best thing to for a puppy after he seizes to calm him down? Now that I know what I'm facing....the seizures aren't so scary for me, but he is terrified and cries for at least an hour afterwards. I apologize for any grammical errors...I've had about 3 hours sleep in 48 hours! :-)
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry no - but maybe our Dr. Lee can help you.
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I have asked a respected member here (LuckyPenny) to try and reach Dr. Lee for you.
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Doggie Wench

Don't know if this will help...has your vet done a blood test yet? Hypoglycemia can often be the cause of seizures in puppies as young as yours.
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Don't know if this will help...has your vet done a blood test yet? Hypoglycemia can often be the cause of seizures in puppies as young as yours.
Hello!!! Yes, my vet so far has done 3 sets of Xrays, fecal exam (small amount of hookworms which he is taking panacure for), CBC which showed he was a little anemic. He is has tested for hypoglycemia and that came back negative. Right now from blood tests I know he has low proteins, and 3 hrs ago they were going to get a urine sample. They are ruling out epilepsy right now, because he's too young to have it. Last update I got the vet told me to research portosystemic shunts, and he mentioned that last night too. I'm unsure of all the tests they have done today.
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Senior Contributor

has the puppy had his shots yet? Could that have brought on Seizures?

(Just a thought that crossed my mind?)
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsmum View Post
has the puppy had his shots yet? Could that have brought on Seizures?

(Just a thought that crossed my mind?)
He had his fist shots the day I picked him up as that was the day he turned 6weeks. According to the breeders, he has had the first set.
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

What food is he on?
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

So he had his shots on Sat & his first seizure was also sat?
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsmum View Post
So he had his shots on Sat & his first seizure was also sat?
First seizure on Sunday night....the vet changed his food yesterday but that was after we discovered the seizures. Previous to bringing him home he was on Purina Puppy Food, my vet put him on Eagle Pack Puppy Formula.
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am sorry, don't have any suggestions for you, but wanted to offer you a and send some . I hope you can find a cause of these seizures.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Compromised account

Soo sorry to hear about your puppy...:sad: I don't have much advice, but wanted to send you and Horton (((((HUGS))))) and tell you to be strong and fight it.

Unfortunately, sometimes the person that you think is decent turns out to be the biggest crook. Also, I think that they may tell you that they will honor your warranty by having you surrender your pup and choosing another. Which would be disastrous for both you and Horton. So I second the advice you got so far about AKC and hope that it will work out...

Keep us posted and be strong!
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I have heard of vaccines causing seizures and for changing food awwww poor puppy 6wks to a sudden food change or are you doing it gradually?

For you & the puppy
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Doggie Wench

Low protein levels, low blood sugar levels, stress (including removal from mom/littermates), infrequent feedings, extended periods of cold temperatures, untreated intestinal parasites, etc. are some causes of seizures in pups as young as yours. I'm wondering if there's a possibility that he's even younger than 6 weeks? Or if he didn't receive the appropriate care that was so crucial while at the "breeders."

I'm unfamiliar with "portosystemic shunts" (something I'll be looking up).

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope your vet won't find anything physically wrong with your pup. In which case, more frequent feedings (at least 4 times a day with a high quality food), warmth, rest, the panacur treatment your pup is already receiving, will all help to get this under control.
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:58 AM

Thank you to everyone for your support and Horton sends you lots of kisses that smell like puppy breath! (love that smell!)
I don't intend on "trading" Horton for another puppy and you are exactly right...they have offered that. He is a part of our family now, and we are gonna fight for him...not for the monetary value of it, but what he deserves. He deserves every opportunity we AND the breeders can afford him. That's all I want from them. He has alot of people pulling for him! Thank you to everyone!!