Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old December 6th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

omg are u serious??

:|:| i really hope we dont have any of them in the house now!! alia wakes up to this creature snarling at her and I cant even scream for my daddy

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, and shrews will eat whatever they can...a desperate one wouldn't turn down seeds.

But if it's concentrating on seeds only, it's more probably a vole.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor

well it would eat some seeds i think and nose diveinto the snow..dig around...and then...move some more seeds....

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
omg are u serious??

:|:| i really hope we dont have any of them in the house now!! alia wakes up to this creature snarling at her and I cant even scream for my daddy
They're not gonna go hunt you down, onster. They're actually quite shy unless trapped. And I've never ever found one in the house, although I've seen them hunting mice in the garage a few times.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
well it would eat some seeds i think and nose diveinto the snow..dig around...and then...move some more seeds....
Might just be a vole, then. Possibly a mole, but I so rarely see them above ground. And they have large front paws, flat and paddle-like for digging so you'd be able to see them easily.

Old December 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM

Did NOT know shrews were poisonous......life long education, yer doing it right....

Having nothing better to do on a Saturday, I looked up some pictures of shrews, voles and moles......and now I'm not so sure exactly what I had running around my property. Hubby called them voles but now I'm pretty positive they weren't. What we had were very small, maybe 6-7 cm long-tail included, had medium length tails and most curiously, a nose that can only be described as 'pig snout' like, no whiskers to speak of. Maybe baby moles? They were too small to tell if they had any eyes or not.......

I'm not overly fond of rodents but when Corkie brought me the mole I had to pick it up to take it back outside and must admit it was a unique experience. I'd never seen one before and my first thought was how the heck can something that small move SO much earth! Then it started pushing at my palm with it's little snout and it became perfectly clear - that is one strong little snout!

"The Kids"
~Corkie - Tuxedo, at the bridge (probably hogging the sunbeam)
~Sparks - Calico, 15 yrs
~Jollip - Senegal Parrot, 13 yrs
~Yeti - Himalayan, 12 yrs
~Pepin - Silver Martin/Dwarf Rabbit, 8 yrs
Old December 6th, 2008, 03:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsmallfurries View Post
Did NOT know shrews were poisonous......life long education, yer doing it right....

Having nothing better to do on a Saturday, I looked up some pictures of shrews, voles and moles......and now I'm not so sure exactly what I had running around my property. Hubby called them voles but now I'm pretty positive they weren't. What we had were very small, maybe 6-7 cm long-tail included, had medium length tails and most curiously, a nose that can only be described as 'pig snout' like, no whiskers to speak of. Maybe baby moles? They were too small to tell if they had any eyes or not.......

I'm not overly fond of rodents but when Corkie brought me the mole I had to pick it up to take it back outside and must admit it was a unique experience. I'd never seen one before and my first thought was how the heck can something that small move SO much earth! Then it started pushing at my palm with it's little snout and it became perfectly clear - that is one strong little snout!
As far as I know, only the short-tailed shrews have the poison.

Not sure what you're seeing if it has a pig snout , but shrews have a longish, though rather pointy, very flexible nose (not that I'd recommend getting your finger down there to smoosh it and see if it bends ). I suppose they could have been baby moles (adults are bigger than 7 cm). Moles have tiny eyes--hard to see them, so that sounds right. Have you ever seen a star-nosed mole? In very young animals the snout might look pig-like

Old December 7th, 2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
As far as I know, only the short-tailed shrews have the poison.
Just read that moles have a slightly poisonous saliva as well - enough to paralyse an earth worm for a couple of hours.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Not sure what you're seeing if it has a pig snout , but shrews have a longish, though rather pointy, very flexible nose (not that I'd recommend getting your finger down there to smoosh it and see if it bends ). I suppose they could have been baby moles (adults are bigger than 7 cm). Moles have tiny eyes--hard to see them, so that sounds right. Have you ever seen a star-nosed mole? In very young animals the snout might look pig-like
Never heard of a star nosed mole but just looked it up - ew! That is from a different planet man!

"The Kids"
~Corkie - Tuxedo, at the bridge (probably hogging the sunbeam)
~Sparks - Calico, 15 yrs
~Jollip - Senegal Parrot, 13 yrs
~Yeti - Himalayan, 12 yrs
~Pepin - Silver Martin/Dwarf Rabbit, 8 yrs
Old December 7th, 2008, 01:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsmallfurries View Post
Just read that moles have a slightly poisonous saliva as well - enough to paralyse an earth worm for a couple of hours.....

I never knew that! Cool! Now we've both learned our new thing for the day!

Never heard of a star nosed mole but just looked it up - ew! That is from a different planet man!
Yeah, they're pretty freaky, aren't they?