Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old November 27th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Wife's death means 81 cats must go

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/544293
Old November 27th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Senior Contributor

So sad. I hope they all find loving homes in the name of this woman and her loving husband.
Old November 27th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok,

It's sad that this lady has passed. But hello 83 cats living in her house. I am sorry but I would have hated to see the conditions in this house., not to mention the stink of feces and urine. There is no way that she would have been able to keep up with the upclean of all the litter boxes, even 2 people.

This person is what you would call a horder.

Discailmer: And if people are upset with my post...Come with me and see what is looks/smells like, walking into a house with this many cats. Even 30 cats. Not only is it bad for the human(s) living there, but also the cats. Having this many cats, cat illness's start. Cats could have FIV, and start affecting other cats, mixing unfixed cats together, cats do not get proper socializtion, *ugh* I could go on.

Happy to hear that the cats will get loving homes.

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; November 27th, 2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old November 27th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Holy Moly....ACO22. I hear what you are saying but the woman is deceased and I personally think she should be commended at the very least since they did sterilize and adopt them out. Interesting that the interview did not say that there was a huge stench in the house and they were all living in deplorable conditions. Hate to say this - but I have been in a home that had 50 cats and believe it or not - you could NOT smell animal in that house...so it can be done.
Old November 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Ok,

It's sad that this lady has passed. But hello 83 cats living in her house. I am sorry but I would have hated to see the conditions in this house., not to mention the stink of feces and urine. There is no way that she would have been able to keep up with the upclean of all the litter boxes.

And if people are upset with my post...Come with me and see what is looks/smells like, walking into a house with this many cats. Even 30 cats. Not only is it bad for the human(s) living there, but also the cats. Having this many cats, cat illness's start. Cats could have FIV, and start affecting other cats, mixing unfixed cats together, cats do not get proper socializtion, *ugh* I could go on.

ACO22
These comments are completely uncalled for. That woman gave her life for these cats. IF the living conditions were different, IF the cats hadn't been taken to the vets when needed, IF they hadn't been s/n, IF, IF, IF!!! BUT this was not the case!!

Not trying to be nasty but I would suggest you go back and reread that article. Then open your eyes to see the other side of the story just for once. This is not the first time you have made disparaging remarks about people who don't deserve it. Please try to make it your last.

I guess I am a hoarder then too. If so, I am proud to be called one!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 27th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I guess I am a hoarder as well. 4 cats and always at least one foster cat not to mention 1 dog and always another foster dog. Does my home smell - at times when the persian goes - but easily remedied by a quick scoop!
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

well said 14+ i was thinking of you when the ever so impolite post was made.
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Holy Moly....ACO22..
That is why I put my 'Discailmer'.(SP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Hate to say this - but I have been in a home that had 50 cats and believe it or not - you could NOT smell animal in that house...so it can be done.
I'll talk your word for it, but can't see it.

ACO22
Old November 27th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
That is why I put my 'Discailmer'.(SP)

I'll talk your word for it, but can't see it.

ACO22
Do take my word for it as I have done my share of inspections in the past, not to mention I have gone to homes to help them getting cats adopted. Also, have dropped cats off at rescues that obviously have many cats - and I must say an imprompt to visit where things were orderly. I would not talk out of hat and can only find it within myself to speak of the truth..and nothing but.
Old November 27th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

There is a BIG difference from 83 cats then 14 or less.

I would really hate for you guys to endure the conditions that I have walked into.

ACO22
Old November 27th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Ok,

It's sad that this lady has passed. But hello 83 cats living in her house. I am sorry but I would have hated to see the conditions in this house., not to mention the stink of feces and urine. There is no way that she would have been able to keep up with the upclean of all the litter boxes, even 2 people.

Discailmer: And if people are upset with my post...Come with me and see what is looks/smells like, walking into a house with this many cats. Even 30 cats. Not only is it bad for the human(s) living there, but also the cats. Having this many cats, cat illness's start. Cats could have FIV, and start affecting other cats, mixing unfixed cats together, cats do not get proper socializtion, *ugh* I could go on.

ACO22
I gotta agree, 83 cats is way too many for 2 people to look after, but it seems they did it. The cats are all healthy and neutered, so kudo's to them for that. The sons are helping with the cleaning and feeding now, and no mention was made about the house being a mess, so I have to assume this poor woman pretty much killed herself to look after these cats and her ailing husband and her house. I'm sure you've seen your share of disgusting homes ACO22, but people with 2 cats can live in a pig sty.
No one has said the cats are adopted, they're hoping to get them all adopted. A tall order, but being healthy and already neutered will certainly help.
Might be nice to hear of some animal control officers helping to get them adopted as they are in such good condition instead of condemming these poor souls for doing better than most of the shelters can or do.

Cindy
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
There is a BIG difference from 83 cats then 14 or less.

I would really hate for you guys to endure the conditions that I have walked into.

ACO22
I've seen it all ACO22 - and I have also seen the good sides as well. Just to let you in on my world - I went on a raid where as a mother is giving birth, other dogs were pulling them from her and devouring them...so been there, done that.

Unless we actually see, feel, smell the conditions as per the article - then we cannot judge in my opinion. I am absolutely certain that the media would have discribed this particular situation in detail if there were medical or sanitary problems.
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:02 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Well said clm! I agree that there are hoarders and they should be taken care of/have animals taken away from them IF those animals are living in inhuman conditions. In THIS case I don't see that. I see a woman who loved her cats, who did everything she could for those cats, who had help with litter and cleaning. I don't see sick, ailing, dying cats being hauled away to be euthanized.

And ACO22 - My moniker (name) is 14 PLUS not 14 MINUS!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
These comments are completely uncalled for..!!!
Why, because you do not agree with what I am saying? Call up a SPCA and ask them, what would you call a person who had 83 cats living in their house. I bet I can tell you the answer.

Quote:
Then open your eyes to see the other side of the story just for once. it your last.!!!
I guess I could say the same thing.

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; November 27th, 2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Senior Contributor

ACO22 - I don't know why you are upset with this article. Have you been so jaded that every situation is of devastation? There are good people out there, with good intentions. If the animals were dying and not vetted - then I would agree with you 100% that this is a classic case of hoarding. The facts are not that however. This is a woman that refused to look the other way and was proactive in sterilizing and vacinating the cats. There is nothing ugly about this story.
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:11 PM
150% PRO S/N

Let's not go there ok. I live it every single day, 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. I don't get away from it. Not that I want too. I work to feed, home my cats. Would I do it again? In a bleedin' heartbeat!

Last I am saying on this. You can't see the other side of the coin and I am not risking being banned to try to get through to you.
Thanks

Old November 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Senior Contributor

This is a very good article with good intentions from good people. There is nothing sinister about that.
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=BenMax;701786]There are good people out there, with good intentions. If the animals were dying and not vetted QUOTE]

I know they were fixed and vac. Which I commend her for. I am talking about odds are the smell. Which is unhealthy for humans and cats. Sorry 83cats, your house is going to smell and have amonia from the urine in the air.

While I do applaud her for rescuing these cats, resources should have been put in place.

ACO22
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Why, because you do not agree with what I am saying? Call up a SPCA and ask them, what would you call a person who had 83 cats living in their house. I bet I can tell you the answer.

I guess I could say the same thing.

ACO22
And who says that the SPCA's definition would be any more correct in this case.

I'm sure you must see some aweful things ACO22, but we all do, hence why so many of us here have a lot of pets.
I do agree, that 83 cats is too many for a working couple. Now a couple who were home all day, that might be manageable. It would certainly be a full time job.
An aweful lot of us could certainly manage a lot more animals than city bylaws or SPCA officers give us credit for. I don't know what the limit should be, or that there should even be a limit on neutered animals in private homes, but sounds like this couple has done a stellar job for these cats. Helping them to find homes for these animals now is all that really matters.

Cindy
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I am not risking being banned
Thanks
Getting banned? Why because we are having a discussion and have different opinions?

ACO22
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Helping them to find homes for these animals now is all that really matters.

I agree.

ACO22
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:28 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

personally i think clm posting this was done with good intentions. An elderly couple did the best they could to help these animals. It is unfortunate that you AC)22 have seen such bad things. I have gone in homes with 1 cat that just stunk and also gone into homes with a dozen and no smell. You've had your say, insulted a very well respected member. can you drop it now.
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM
-

While I do applaud her for rescuing these cats, resources should have been put in place.

ACO22[/QUOTE]

Can you be more explicit. The photo in the Star looked just like any ordinary household. The resources were there, food, shelter, vetting, love. What more could an animal want from their keeper?
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

ACO22 - look at this in a more positive light is all I am saying. Not everything is horrible. This just may be one of those situations.

This woman should be celebrated, this should not be twisted into something that it is not. It says nothing in the headlines about 'stinky house'.

Lighten up.....there is good in most people.
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
personally i think clm posting this was done with good intentions. An elderly couple did the best they could to help these animals. It is unfortunate that you AC)22 have seen such bad things. I have gone in homes with 1 cat that just stunk and also gone into homes with a dozen and no smell. You've had your say, insulted a very well respected member. can you drop it now.

I don't know how I insulted a member, by giving my opinion on a sensitive subject but. I am done playing in the sandbox.

ACO22
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:38 PM
-

Quote:
Getting banned? Why because we are having a discussion and have different opinions?

ACO22
She didn't want to be rude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
You've had your say, insulted a very well respected member. can you drop it now.
ACO22 drop something, You've gotta be kidding
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:39 PM
-

Quote:
I don't know how I insulted a member, by giving my opinion on a sensitive subject but. I am done playing in the sandbox.

ACO22
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

ACO22
I guess I am not understanding why this thread turned weird. It is about opinions ACO22 and you did use the disclaimer...so you must have been pretty much aware and prepared to take this on.
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Master of the Drool!

Personally I wouldn't have 81 cats or dogs!!! But I have seen people with 1 pet and that pet ended up being rescued so If this couple took care of these cats then My hats off to them!!!!! I also believe if something was wrong with that house that the cats were in the media would have said something. They are never scared to say anything when it come to animal abuse!! By the sounds of it this couple loved and took care of their cats. I hope they find new forever homes! Thats the main thing right now!!

To Kitty lovers!!
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:32 PM
chronically insane.

sorry but just because you have alot of critters doesn't mean your house is gonna stink or be gross... I have all my kitties and I foster kittens and everything... if I covered up the litter boxes with a sheet and hid all the cat toys and scratching posts, unless you actually saw a kitty you wouldn't even know I had cats. It's not really that difficult to keep the house clean and the animals healthy. There's been times I've had over a dozen feline of various sizes in my house and I've managed to keep my house sanitary. My mom helps though obviously.

That lady & her husband are just doing good work. I've been to other rescuers houses and such who have lots of critters and they're houses are cleaner then those of families who don't have any critters at all!

My friend Fran explained how one time she went to a kitty rescuers house and she had 70+ cats at the time, and the only way you noticed was if you went downstairs and saw the few dozen litter boxes; all clean mind you.

It's just not that complicated. The couple in this story clearly were not hoarders. Hoarders don't properly care for their animals. These people went above and beyond to help out the kitties

So kudos to them

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009