Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 22nd, 2008, 10:58 AM

Question Dog losing muscle mass

Hi, my 6 year old Lab started off with his hind quarters going out on him. He then became lethargic. Naturally went to vet, had X-rays which showed not too much. He had some muscle mass and weight loss. They put him on prednisone and he made a remarkable improvement. Once he came off the meds, he went downhill again. Lab work showed a slight decrease in his red blood cells. My question is what diseases might cause these symptoms. He has had Lyme's disease and course of treatment. He also had a twisted stomach with a successful operation. Thanks for any help.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:05 AM
Geek Club CEO

There was an article on this in the newest Dogs in Canada magazine...the loss of lean body mass (muscle)...I can't remember the jist of it and I think I recycled the mag already....anyone else still have a copy?
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
Geek Club CEO

Tried to find the article on-line, no luck. I know that cancer cachexia (technical term for loss of muscle) is a biggie...renal failure, diabetes and cardiomyopathy are others...sorry, those all sound scary as I type them...I'm sure there are other reasons, and it sounds like you and your vet are still working to figure out the cause?
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old October 22nd, 2008, 12:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Is the RBC count below normal, or just lower but still in the normal range? If it's still normal, it may not be significant.

It might be something like injury to the spine--the steroids bring down the inflammation and the symptoms improved, but without the drugs, the inflammation recurs. Anything that puts pressure on the nerves can cause lameness...steroids will help if the pressure is being caused by inflammation.

Have you tried another course of doxycycline for the Lyme's? Sometimes it's hard to kick. We have a dog with chronic Lyme's and she needs occasional doxy for flare-ups. She shows some lameness when she's having a flare-up, although nothing near as severe as what your dog is experiencing. Dogs often get more than one tick-borne disease at a time, too--has your dog had an anaplasmosis screening?

I hope you get a diagnosis soon, lagatha, and your dog recovers quickly

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 22nd, 2008, 12:37 PM

Thanks for your reply but just talked to vet, Tucker is down there now. It seems that he has lymphoma and other than putting him through some invasive procedures, there is not much that can be done. We will just bring him home and make him as comfortable as possible for the time he has left. We are devastated by this news but will make his last days good ones. Again thanks for help.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, I'm so sorry it was bad news, lagatha.

There are so many on this board that have been through what you're going through now--we're here if you need to rant, cry, seek advice, need a hug, whatever.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 22nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am sorry to hear that it was not good news. Like Hazel said, we are here if you need us

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:07 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I'm sorry about the news
Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:47 PM

Lagatha
I am so sorry to hear about your dog. My dog is having simliar problems. We have had blood work done - it is normal. And she has been on meds for about 3 weeks with no marked improvement. She has taken a down turn today and we are headed back the vet tomorrow. I am trying to figure out what I should ask to be done to diagnose her. Do you have any recommendations?
How are you all doing?
Thank you