Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 8th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Kitty Mum

"Presents" on the bed...

Hello All! Recently I have been finding cat "presents" on our spare bed. It seems that my cat Jesse has decided in the past few days to have a b.m. and a big pee during the night on the spare bedroom bed, for me or my husband to find in the morning. I have three cats but we both know that it is my 12 year old Jesse. He is the only one who sleeps there. Plus he is super picky about the litter box. I keep it clean on a regular basis - could his standards be changing? He has peed on our bed once before about a year ago. We figured it would have been a one time thing and figured it was an "accident" due to his age. Well, he has been pooping and peeing on the spare bed since Friday.

Can anyone tell me why he may have started doing this? How can I stop this from happening?

My cats have extreme freedom to do as they please in our home. We do not care about our furniture or jumping, etc... Could he be testing his limits? The mind of a cat can be fascinating

Right now the cat boxes are kept in the closet of the spare bedroom to keep them "out of sight". Could he be thinking that the WHOLE room is his territory to do as he pleases. I have now removed the litter boxes and put the at the end of our hallway. I have shown them the new place and closed the spare bedroom door while I clean the mess and do the laundry (3rd time this weekend) Was this a good idea? I may be keeping this door closed permanently, or at least for a little while, even though I feel really bad closing a room off from them. As I believe in giving them the most freedom they deserve since they cannot experience the outside world.

I am looking for help, advice, guidance - what may you - from the best place possible If you guys could help me I will love you forever :love:
Old November 8th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Tyr,did you have a visitor?or did something change in the household?
My Rocky peed and pooped on our bed(hubby's side)when we had friends staying here for a week and as soon as they left he was ok again.His way of telling us he did not like visitors
I assume he is healthy,no urinary or other problems...I have 3 cats and have 3 large Rubbermaid storage-boxes($6/box) for litter-boxes(a fortune in litter )maybe you should try it,they give the cats lots of room to do their thing.
Also,maybe the boxes are old and the plastic has gotten smelly,they are after all real little pedants...and we love them,right :love:
Old November 9th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Kitty Mum

Hey Chico! Thank for helping out - I really appreciate it! And now I love you forever as promised

The cat box is about 2 years old. I did a real good cleaning of it about a week ago - it looked brand new! I do not see that being the problem...though it very well ould be! Could cleaning it be a problem? Maybe because he cannot smell his scent anymore? I thought that would have been solved right away! We plan on getting a couple of new litter boxes. Right now we have the one hooded one and an open homemade one for the baby.

When you mentioned change.... that is the only change that I could think of (the new baby kitten). Though we have had him for over a month now and he has been very accepting - he loves the little guy. We did have a friend for the weekend, but he has been there before and Jesse has never reacted in such a way.

Right now I am having litter box enclosures made for extra privacy and a sense of space - to replace having the spare bedroom taken away for a while.

From what I have said....would any of this cause the unwanted behaviour?

Thanks a million Chico!!!!!
Old November 9th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Well Tyr,cats are sometimes difficult to figure out,maybe he feels slighted because of the new kitten,even though he loves it,make sure you give him just as much attention as the little one.
If I were you,I would go out and get a couple of Rubbermaid boxes,they are higher,so the litter does not go all over the place and longer than regular ones.Personally I do not like the covered boxes,because the cat breaths in all the dust,that stays in the box,it could also be a cleaner you might have used. I know we like it to smell good in the boxes,but the cats don't feel that way,I only use water in cleaning the boxes.
I am certainly no expert,I am just speaking from experience
Also,not that I think you would hurt your cat,but cats do not understand physical punishment,it will only stress them out more(Luckys words!) ....
If you ever catch him in the act,carry him over to the litter-box...my cats listen to a harsh"NO"and know what it means,I don't know if yours do....
Good Luck with Jesse!!
Old November 9th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Kitty Mum

I NEVER hand out physical punishment! I hope that something I said did not make it sound like I do - I don't think that I have made it come across like that. The very idea of doing such a thing makes me sick to my stomach

I never catch him in the act - he is very sneaky about it. Plus he is a major privacy loving cat. I have the hooded litter because the shelter (I got him when he was 10) said that this is the only kind he likes as he has used it all his life. It is a comfort thing for him. I use Dust Free Litter.

Jesse gets more attention then the baby - although hard because Orlando follows me everywhere. He is easy to distract though, throw a ball and off he goes! My husband laughs because Jesse is "MY' cat. He usurps every possible spare moment that I have - when he is not sleeping This cat is the most amazing cat I have ever had - so smart and loving. We have a special bond.

Fidel is the kind of cat that loves "from afar"...he likes to keep to himself and to be left alone. He will come when he feels necessary.

Baby LOVES attention and gets plenty from me while Jesse sleeps and sometimes while he is awake and when I am not giving it to him my husband is.

I am starting to think that maybe it is from cleaning the litter. Thought I have done that before and never had this happen. I am just looking for every possible reason that any of you can think of. I would like to know why so that I can go through and pin point the reason.

Thanks for your help Chico
Old November 10th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Kitty Mum

I am guessing there is no other advice on this subject from anyone? Would you be able to tell me where I could look for other reasons and solutions?

Chico, I have thought about your ideas on what could be the cause in more detail - and looked at historical evidence (of my cats - I keep a journal for each one). I do not think that any of these are the reasoning behind his new found love for defacating on the spare bed I appreciate the help though - I would never have thought to explore those reasonings

Ciao!
Old November 10th, 2004, 08:19 PM

I think he is testing you....either that or the vet should have a look see and see if there is a physical reason for this. Move the litter boxes and shut the door to the spare room. See if this keeps happening - and if you have changed the litter - go back to the old brand.
Old November 12th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Kitty Mum

Thanks annie!!!! I never even would have thought about the litter! I did change the litter back to a brand that they once used a few months ago. I decided to go back to it because it masked the odor better than the other brand did. Maybe he decided that HE did not like it regardless of my feelings

That may just be the problem! Thanks a bunch!
Old November 12th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

A 12 year old cat who has suddenly stopped using the litterbox definitely should see your vet.

He could have crystals in his bladder, or a urinary tract infection or problem brought on by the stress of the new kitten or visitor. Sometimes even cats who are acting fine can be stressed.

If a cat experiences pain when using the box, it will go elsewhere to try and find a place where it doesn't hurt.
Old November 12th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Kitty Mum

Ever since I moved the box and closed the spare bedroom door he has been using the litter once again. He has not gone outside the box anywhere else in our apartment - not even on OUR bed which he still has access to. I am just trying to find the reason and solution so that he does not have to be closed off from this room permanently. Besides the litter change - could it have also been because the litter was in the room and he thought the whole room was his to do and go as he please?
Old November 12th, 2004, 02:28 PM

Tyr - glad that is what seems to be the problem. I have just changed from flushable litter to clumping litter for my three cats. My *Peter Pan* cat doesn't seem to mind - but one of my others is not impressed - she keeps her legs crossed till she can hit the large garden I have - he twin uses the new litter, but really doesn't want to (they are both 13) - but he's a big baby about leaving the house if the temperature outside isn't right. Cats have their way of letting you know if they aren't altogether happy with you - it's just a challenge to find out what you have done wrong None of mine like changes to their routine.
Old November 12th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Annie,I don't think any cat does,I could set the clock by my cats habits and schedule They rule the house..BIG time