Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 11th, 2008, 02:17 PM

found a lump :(

we found a lump on my dogs (golden retriever) throat about a week ago. its fairly big, i can cup my hand around it. its not growing on the throat but on the skin around the throat on the inside. it's hard to know what to think about this because i haven't seen any change in him since we noticed the lump. i haven't noticed anymore lumps anywhere else on his body. he's still as energetic as an 8 year old dog should be, if not more. he breathes, eats, and barks normally. sleeps regularly. where we're about 3 hours away from the nearest vet, it wont be until next weekend before the vet can see him. also, we did have him to the vet around the middle of august and the vet couldn't find anything wrong with, just gave him his vaccinations and on he went. we also had someone in town who is really knowledgable about pet health and told us that she don't think the lump is anything that would harm his health. just curious as to whether anyone has experienced anything like this.
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:14 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Wow, I am sure this is of great concern to you and really no one here can diagnose your dog. It is good that you have an appt with the vet to know for sure and hopefully just put your mind at ease.

My golden started getting fatty lumps @8-9 yrs old. The first ones I always took her to the vet to have aspirated and finally the vet kinda told me to chill...there was no point in testing them all. If it is sort of liquidy and moves around it is probably nothing serious. However, as I have already said, you need to see a vet for a real diagnosis.

Good luck (and pictures would be nice once you are able!)

Please keep us posted.
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:20 PM
-

I agree.....fatty lumps (lipomas) are quite common in goldens but it is always best to gt them checked by your vet.

Good luck on the weekend and please keep us posted.
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:22 PM

i tried to upload pictures before but they never worked out. try this one.
Attached Images

Last edited by buddy_4; November 11th, 2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:25 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Aw, what a great face. I assume his name is buddy? Very sweet.

You probably did not have enough posts until now to post pics but now that you can, don't be shy!
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What a lovely fella! Ya, for sure don't be shy about posting pics! He looks like a real sweetheart!

Our older dogs over the years have gotten benign fatty lumps-- that's all your handsome boy has. The fatty lumps we've had are fairly superficial and move around a bit when you mess with them. Is that about what you're feeling?

Welcome to the board and for a good vet visit next weekend!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 11th, 2008, 06:15 PM

My Mindy has a fatty lump on her belly that the vet aspirated. Zeus had a few small ones and we were told not to worry.
Old November 11th, 2008, 06:17 PM
-

Buddy is very handsome.

I love his playful smile and I especially love the last pic of him looking up at you.
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:37 PM

we had buddy to the vet today and she said its nothing to worry about. i posted another thread on here in august about him being sick from eating grass over the summer and she said its probably from that, so it wasn't a fatty lump. he's on pills now for the next 2 weeks and she said the lump should be gone within a week.