Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old November 3rd, 2008, 09:21 AM

Well I tried it!

Hi Everyone

Well I was hoping to get some advice.

I tried a raw diet of chicken thighs, hearts, liver and vitamin B, E, Turine, Salmon oil, and Physillum.

I double ground the bones (large plate then small plate) single ground the meat (left large pieces for them to chew on).

We introduced in slowly (1/4 TO 3/4 old canned food for one week, then 1/3 to 2/3 old food for another week.) and before we reached the half way point my female calico got a bad case of consipation. So I stopped!! <sigh> they all seemed to love it so much.

I was really disappointed. It seemed so good for them, can any one tell me what I might have done wrong? I was really upset about her constipation.

Can I try it again? What could I do to ensure she doesn't get constipated again?
Old November 3rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

you could add some pure pumpking(not pie filling.) or pure squash to the kitties foods.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

The most typical cause of constipation when feeding raw is too much bone. If the stool is white and/or very dry and/or overly hard and there is straining, try cutting down on the bone or adding some extra muscle meat.

The other thing though, since you mentioned mixing raw with wet food, is that some animals don't do well when raw and cooked foods are mixed. Personally I've only seen it cause the opposite problem, but you never know.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 10:43 AM

Thanks to both of you!!

Pitgrrl...do you think chicken thighs have a high bone to meat ratio?
Old November 3rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

They shouldn't, but they're bigger/harder bones than, say, chicken backs. I know some animals can just dive right in a have no trouble with any kind of bones, but in my experience others can have trouble digesting the weight bearing bones, like legs, at least in the beginning.

Not to be gross, but did you get a look at any stool? Poop can tell you a lot and if you're going to feed raw, it's the best way to gauge if you need to make any adjustments.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 01:58 PM

Ok, good info! Thanks, maybe I will take down the bone by 20% and add a bit more psyllium...the other 2 cats were fine.

Well don't worry between my sick tabby and my calico being constipated...i have been sifting through my litter boxes with a FORK...

Ya it was really dry and hard. And when she did pass it, that was ALOT..lol..more than some small dogs!! And there were some whitish areas...
Old November 3rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurac24 View Post

Well don't worry between my sick tabby and my calico being constipated...i have been sifting through my litter boxes with a FORK...

Ya it was really dry and hard. And when she did pass it, that was ALOT..lol..more than some small dogs!! And there were some whitish areas...
Well then you're going to be great at feeding raw!

If it was really hard, dry and white-ish, then cutting down the bone a bit should do the trick, at least for the first while.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 02:05 PM

Ok, I think you all have convinced me to try again..thanks for the encouragement...I really wanted this to work for my cats!
Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

hey, if it makes you feel better, when I started feeding raw one of my dogs was literally pooping out basically just bone. It was a bit of a disaster, but we figured it out, I'm sure you will too, it just takes a bit of time.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:48 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, I agree with pitgrr, lsounds like too much bone for your kitty.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 3rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
Swift Tribe

my cat needed an enima he was so stopped up!! still feeding raw though. you get the hang of it. just keep a close eye on the poo. make sure it comes out small, brown and happy looking but turns white and chalky when dried. also, fat is good too. i hope youre not cutting it off!! that is their energy source.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old November 4th, 2008, 07:17 AM

WOW..you guys are pooh experts!!

LOL..seriously..you are all great! And so knowledgable. I have convinced my DH to give it another try!
I bought chicken thighs and livers last night.
Unfortunately I think Arthur is going to have to go to the vet AGAIN..I can't figure it out but there must be something wrong with his teeth or mouth. If he was allergic to the canned food would he be chewing funny and dropping food out of his mouth while chewing? All 5 times I have had him to the vet she keeps saying there is nothing unusual about his teeth...

X-Rays are next?

Thanks again for all your encouragement!!

Maura