Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants > Pet Stories - anecdotes - jokes

Old October 10th, 2008, 06:24 PM

Ick!

I just had to share this with someone, I'm sure they will get a laugh out of it. ( I probably will too, but later, MUCH later.)
We have an indoor/leash cat named Dr. Seuss. He is usually pretty good, but last night, dad was slow getting him inside after he unhooked the leash and Seuss seized the opportunity to escape, taking off as fast as he could and refusing to come back. He has done this once before, so while we were worried when we couldn't catch him right away, we had to leave for work this morning with Seuss still outside. Mom was the first one home. the minute the car stopped moving Seuss came racing to her meowing. Mom picked him up to take him inside and smelled something that you shouldn't smell around cats. Skunk! We don't know exactly what happened or when, but Seuss smells VERY strongly if skunk. He also isn't quite as eager to go outside as he was yesterday, and while he still wants out, he is not trying to escape. I'm sure he will be back to normal in a few days, when the skunk smell wears off, but for the next few days I'm looking forward to a cat who comes in when called.
The reason this post is titled "Ick" is that the first thing Seuss did after eating and drinking, was go to my bed for his usual come-in-and-get-brushed routine. I, understandably I think, refused to let him stay on the bed. THen he went and curled up on Dad's pillow!
Old October 10th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Skylar's Farm

Tonight we had a skunk spray near our house but our cat came in at 4:00 and I'm so glad.
I remember when my Airedale cornered a skunk in the garage one night about 4 years ago, and we all suffered from it. The smell was absorbed in everything!! Gross.
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:11 PM
-

I thank god it never happened here , with 4 dogs ....
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:19 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ummm, ick! Another good reason for cats to be indoors.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh I understand your ICK

In another little cabin I lived in (not the current one) we had a skunk spray under the cabin - EVERYTHING I owned smelled of skunk for weeks We had no laundry or anything either - my poor co workers had to live with the smell too (I worked in the bush, at least the smell was diluted with fresh air)

ownedbycats - is the smell gone now??? I hear washing in vinegar helps
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old October 11th, 2008, 06:32 AM

14+kitties, I think my post was a bit unclear. Dr. Seuss is only supposed to be an outdoor cat when his harness and leash are on. We attach the leash to a bolt on the side of the house and he has a half-circle of lawn to explore, complete with bugs to chase. I said it would be nice to have him come when called (which makes it sound like he is out without any control or supervision) because when he doesn't want to come back inside he waits until you are right beside him, runs about five feet away(lenght of leash) and repeats. He thinks it is a wonderful game. People who need to leave for work go since you then either have to bribe him or trick him into being caught(and these work less and less), or you can step on the leash and hold it in one spot, but that seems like cheating.