Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 27th, 2008, 10:22 AM
LavenderRott's Avatar
LavenderRott LavenderRott is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,671
Plants Toxic to Dogs

Since I posted a list for cats - it is only fair that I do the same for dog owners.

Here is a list of plants that are toxic to your dogs.

Poisonous Plants by Category
Bulbs: Amaryllis, Autumn Crocus, Daffodil, Day Lily, Elephant Ears, Gladiolas, Hyacinth, Iris, Lily of the Valley, Narcissus, Orange Day Lily, Tulip

Ferns: Aparagus Fern, Australian Nut, Emerald Feather (aka Emerald Fern), Emerald Fern (aka Emerald Feather), Lace Fern, Plumosa Fern

Flowering Plants: Cyclamen, Hydrangea, Kalanchoe, Poinsettia

Garden Perennials: Charming Diffenbachia, Christmas Rose, Flamingo Plant, Foxglove, Marijuana, Morning Glory, Nightshade, Onion, Tomato Plant, Tropic Snow Dumbcane

House Plants: Ceriman (aka Cutleaf Philodendron), Chinese Evergreen, Cordatum, Corn Plant (aka Cornstalk Plant), Cutleaf Philodendron (aka Ceriman), Devil's Ivy, Dumb Cane, Golden Pothos, Green Gold Nephthysis, Marble Queen, Mauna Loa Peace Lily, Nephthytis, Peace Lily, Red-Margined Dracaena, Striped Dracaena, Taro Vine, Warneckei Dracaena
Lillies: Asian Lily (liliaceae), Easter Lily, Glory Lily, Japanese Show Lily, Red Lily, Rubrum Lily, Stargazer Lily, Tiger Lily, Wood Lily
Shrubs: Cycads, Heavenly Bamboo, Holly, Jerusalem Cherry, Mistletoe "American", Oleander, Precatory Bean, Rhododendron, Saddle Leaf Philodendron, Sago Palm, Tree Philodendron, Yucca
Succulents: Aloe (Aloe Vera)

Trees: Avocado, Buddist Pine, Chinaberry Tree, Japanese Yew (aka Yew), Lacy Tree, Macadamia Nut, Madagascar Dragon Tree, Queensland Nut, Schefflera, Yew (aka Japanese Yew)

Vines: Branching Ivy, English Ivy, European Bittersweet, Glacier Ivy, Hahn's self branching English Ivy, Needlepoint Ivy

Misc/Uncategorized: American Bittersweet, Andromeda Japonica, Azalea, Bird of Paradise, Buckeye, Caladium hortulanum, Calla Lily, Castor Bean, Clematis, Fiddle-Leaf Philodendron, Florida Beauty, Fruit Salad Plant, Golden Dieffenbachia, Gold Dust Dracaena, Heartleaf Philodendron, Horsehead Philodendron, Hurricane Plant, Mexican Breadfruit, Mother-in-law, Panda, Philodendron Pertusum, Red Emerald, Red Princess, Ribbon Plant, Satin Pothos, Spotted Dumb Cane, Sweetheart Ivy, Swiss Cheese Plant, Variable Dieffenbachia, Variegated Philodendron, Yesterday/Today/Tomorrow

Thanks Lavender - I turned these into stickies - Marko
__________________
Sandi
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:43 PM
Dr Lee's Avatar
Dr Lee Dr Lee is offline
Senior Contributor - Expert
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 1,058
Here is a supplement list provided by the ASPCA. It has symptoms and pictures of the plants.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...cc_toxicplants
__________________
Christopher A. Lee, D.V.M., C.V.L.S.
Promoting surgical options and pet comfort through the use of lasers.
www.acerlux.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 9th, 2008, 06:02 PM
13 Rabbits 13 Rabbits is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yorkton,Sk.Canada
Posts: 3
Jack Russel needs HELP!!!!!

I have a 1 year old Jack Russel and for the past 36 hours he has been getting sicker and sicker.....he started throwing up alot of white clear mucus but has moved on to throwing up blood!!!! I am quite certain that he has eaten or chewed on a poisonous to dog's plant of some type but i am really getting scared.......He has been dry heaving for about 12 hours.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 9th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Diamondsmum Diamondsmum is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,816
13 rabbits I would get him to a vet pronto! It could be anything.. Doesnt sound good for the lil fella at all.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 9th, 2008, 06:32 PM
13 Rabbits 13 Rabbits is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yorkton,Sk.Canada
Posts: 3
the vet willnot help!!!

I have my animal Sciences degree and 1/2 my vet med and i wish to goodness i could get my hands on some medication but the vet here in Yorkton saskatchewan canada will not bill me and not all of us have $300.00 to walk in the door and yes, my dog is worth way more than that as part of our family he is priceless!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 9th, 2008, 06:34 PM
13 Rabbits 13 Rabbits is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yorkton,Sk.Canada
Posts: 3
my babe Jack Russel

he is not going into convulssions and his heart rate seems to be stable but the blood and mucas are scaring me
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 9th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Diamondsmum Diamondsmum is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,816
ok.. Can you call vet and ask him your concerns?

We are not vets, & I would hate to hear of something terrrible come out of this.

Do you know what he ate?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 9th, 2008, 06:56 PM
breeze's Avatar
breeze breeze is offline
Half Way To Crazy
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 10,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 Rabbits View Post
I have a 1 year old Jack Russel and for the past 36 hours he has been getting sicker and sicker.....he started throwing up alot of white clear mucus but has moved on to throwing up blood!!!! I am quite certain that he has eaten or chewed on a poisonous to dog's plant of some type but i am really getting scared.......He has been dry heaving for about 12 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 Rabbits View Post
I have my animal Sciences degree and 1/2 my vet med and i wish to goodness i could get my hands on some medication but the vet here in Yorkton saskatchewan canada will not bill me and not all of us have $300.00 to walk in the door and yes, my dog is worth way more than that as part of our family he is priceless!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 Rabbits View Post
he is not going into convulssions and his heart rate seems to be stable but the blood and mucas are scaring me

I agree with diamondsmom, throwing up blood would defiantly throw up warning bells.... go to the vets ASAP.. keep us posted
__________________
Have a heart that never hardens, and a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:08 PM
KCamden KCamden is offline
Dog-tastic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: California
Posts: 6
Thank you for this list! We take both of our dogs hiking quite often, and let them off the leash (don't tell the ranger) so it's good to know what to watch out for and when we should leash them back up!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:11 AM
LavenderRott's Avatar
LavenderRott LavenderRott is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,671
No, grass isn't generally poisonous.

The yellow stuff is more then likely stomach bile. Most dogs eat a bit of grass if they have an upset tummy.

See if your pup wants a bit of a snack.
__________________
Sandi
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old April 4th, 2010, 12:48 AM
greMlin72 greMlin72 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
Arrow Vet student needing help

Hi,
i have an assessment on intrinsically poisonous pets to livestock and domestic animals, resulting in death etc. For this assessment, i need to find COMMONLY INGESTED poisonous plants.
I have read all the lists, but can't find if they are frequently ingested etc.
Are there any articles available on incidence rates of poisoning from plants?

For dogs & cats i've got:
- lillies (cat)
- cycad
- azalea (cant find incidence rate)
- grapes (have sufficient info)
- colocasia (elephant ear) and foxglove (need info on incidence).

and livestock
- oleander
- heliotrope
- patersons curse (have suffiicient info)
- hairy panic (have sufficient info)
- bracken fern (have sufficienct info)

Any help is greatly appreciated, or knowledge on commonly ingested plants.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old April 4th, 2010, 06:49 AM
mummummum's Avatar
mummummum mummummum is offline
-
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The Hammer
Posts: 8,535
Wouldn't HSUS, the ASPCA, ATSDR and the CDC have breakdowns?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old April 6th, 2010, 11:40 PM
greMlin72 greMlin72 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
...

that's what i've thought except there doesn't seem to be any available info.
I've sent all three emails and have had very little luck.

thanks
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:00 AM
luckypenny's Avatar
luckypenny luckypenny is offline
Doggie Wench
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Philippe-de-Laprairie, Qc
Posts: 11,813
The AVMA may be able to help you. They have a "Household Hazards" brochure with this info,

• Lily of the Valley, oleander, azalea, yew, foxglove,
rhododendron and kalanchoe may cause heart problems
if ingested.
• Rhubarb leaves and shamrock contain substances that
can produce kidney failure. Certain types of lilies (Lilium
and Hemerocallis species) are highly toxic to cats, resulting
in kidney failure — even if only small amounts are ingested.
• Sago palms (Cycad species) can cause liver damage,
especially if the nut portion of the plant is consumed.
• Additionally, fungi such as certain varieties of mushrooms
can cause liver damage or other illnesses.
A few other potentially harmful plants include philodendron,
corn plant, castor bean, mother-in-law’s tongue, Hibiscus
and hydrangea.


http://www.avma.org/animal_health/br...d_brochure.pdf

Maybe they would have statistics available upon request as well.
__________________
"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." -Will Durant
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:25 AM
sugarcatmom's Avatar
sugarcatmom sugarcatmom is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,325
Cornell University might be a good source of info. Here is a link to their poisonous plant database: http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/index.html
__________________
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain." ~ Chinese Proverb

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:14 PM
wb1 wb1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 4
poison ivy

is poison ivy harmful to dogs?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:05 PM
rainbow's Avatar
rainbow rainbow is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful BC's Kootenay Country
Posts: 34,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb1 View Post
is poison ivy harmful to dogs?
Their fur helps to protect them but it is if the oil comes into contact with their skin. Also, if it is on their fur and you pet them then it will affect you.

Here's some info ....

http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Heal.../Symptoms.aspx
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:45 PM
wb1 wb1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 4
that really helped me thank you.
my dog was working with me and i saw him in poison ivy, then to top it off i already have poison ivy and this morning he licked my rash so im like freaking out but, that was very useful info, thank you. im just waiting to see how he reacts after he licked the rash i hope hes going to be ok..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old August 6th, 2010, 12:51 PM
LittleMushroom's Avatar
LittleMushroom LittleMushroom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Etobicoke, ON
Posts: 41
I am confused,,,so is Yucca extract/powder/tablets poisonous to dogs? Since it is made from its roots. But I've read a lot of good things about Yucca on dogs
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old September 4th, 2011, 01:24 AM
JennieFlowers JennieFlowers is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
Since I posted a list for cats - it is only fair that I do the same for dog owners.

Here is a list of plants that are toxic to your dogs.

Poisonous Plants by Category
Bulbs: Amaryllis, Autumn Crocus, Daffodil, Day Lily, Elephant Ears, Gladiolas, Hyacinth, Iris, Lily of the Valley, Narcissus, Orange Day Lily, Tulip

Ferns: Aparagus Fern, Australian Nut, Emerald Feather (aka Emerald Fern), Emerald Fern (aka Emerald Feather), Lace Fern, Plumosa Fern

Flowering Plants: Cyclamen, Hydrangea, Kalanchoe, Poinsettia

Garden Perennials: Charming Diffenbachia, Christmas Rose, Flamingo Plant, Foxglove, Marijuana, Morning Glory, Nightshade, Onion, Tomato Plant, Tropic Snow Dumbcane

House Plants: Ceriman (aka Cutleaf Philodendron), Chinese Evergreen, Cordatum, Corn Plant (aka Cornstalk Plant), Cutleaf Philodendron (aka Ceriman), Devil's Ivy, Dumb Cane, Golden Pothos, Green Gold Nephthysis, Marble Queen, Mauna Loa Peace Lily, Nephthytis, Peace Lily, Red-Margined Dracaena, Striped Dracaena, Taro Vine, Warneckei Dracaena
Lillies: Asian Lily (liliaceae), Easter Lily, Glory Lily, Japanese Show Lily, Red Lily, Rubrum Lily, Stargazer Lily, Tiger Lily, Wood Lily
Shrubs: Cycads, Heavenly Bamboo, Holly, Jerusalem Cherry, Mistletoe "American", Oleander, Precatory Bean, Rhododendron, Saddle Leaf Philodendron, Sago Palm, Tree Philodendron, Yucca
Succulents: Aloe (Aloe Vera)

Trees: Avocado, Buddist Pine, Chinaberry Tree, Japanese Yew (aka Yew), Lacy Tree, Macadamia Nut, Madagascar Dragon Tree, Queensland Nut, Schefflera, Yew (aka Japanese Yew)

Vines: Branching Ivy, English Ivy, European Bittersweet, Glacier Ivy, Hahn's self branching English Ivy, Needlepoint Ivy

Misc/Uncategorized: American Bittersweet, Andromeda Japonica, Azalea, Bird of Paradise, Buckeye, Caladium hortulanum, Calla Lily, Castor Bean, Clematis, Fiddle-Leaf Philodendron, Florida Beauty, Fruit Salad Plant, Golden Dieffenbachia, Gold Dust Dracaena, Heartleaf Philodendron, Horsehead Philodendron, Hurricane Plant, Mexican Breadfruit, Mother-in-law, Panda, Philodendron Pertusum, Red Emerald, Red Princess, Ribbon Plant, Satin Pothos, Spotted Dumb Cane, Sweetheart Ivy, Swiss Cheese Plant, Variable Dieffenbachia, Variegated Philodendron, Yesterday/Today/Tomorrow

Thanks Lavender - I turned these into stickies - Marko

i dont think theres any of these types of plants near my area so im glad. thanks for the list btw.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Tash7 Tash7 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West Kootenays, BC
Posts: 1
Black walnuts should be on the list as well. Nuts and shells are poisonous for dogs.

The mold that is present in a lot of walnuts is what causes the problem, and it's toxic for horses and dogs, but not humans or cats.

We had an incident with black walnuts this past winter.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Barkingdog Barkingdog is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
No, grass isn't generally poisonous.

The yellow stuff is more then likely stomach bile. Most dogs eat a bit of grass if they have an upset tummy.

See if your pup wants a bit of a snack.
If the grass just been treated for weeds it can be very toxic to dogs. I try not to let Marty eat any grass as I never know what is on it .
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Barkingdog Barkingdog is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,956
Pennies are also very toxic to pets , they can kill a dog.


http://voices.yahoo.com/dogs-swallow...22.html?cat=53


I hope this link is OK to post.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old March 9th, 2013, 07:09 AM
minmin12 minmin12 is offline
banned user
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 153
Talking Thank you

Browsing site and noticed this post from Lavender. I want to have plants in my house and some of what are mentioned obviously are not going to be inside. I have a puppy and a few weeks ago he knocked over my attempt on growing an Avocado tree. Left quite a lot of mud on carpet anywho this plant is probably going to outlive me as it still is only rooting. I have copied and pasted for reference
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old November 25th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Mary Tamm Mary Tamm is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Plants Toxic to Dogs

Yes there are so many plant that are poisonous to ours dogs. There are few most toxic to dogs..

1. Grapes -- The toxicity of grapes to dogs was once thought to be an urban legend, but it's true; even a small serving can cause vomiting and diarrhea, while larger amounts can lead to kidney failure. Researchers aren't yet sure what exactly causes this reaction, whether pesticides or a fungal toxin.

2. Mushrooms -- While there are plenty of great-tasting, perfectly safe mushrooms out there, dogs just don't seem capable of discerning the difference between the edible and the toxic. To be on the safe side, it's best not to allow dogs to eat any wild mushrooms at all, unless you can confidently identify the species yourself.Amanita, Galerina and Lepiota species are especially dangerous because they contain toxins that cause a series of worsening symptoms, from vomiting to swelling in the brain

3-3. Marijuana -- For most people, the likelihood of your pet gaining access to marijuana -- whether on a live plant or not -- is relatively low. But regardless of your view of marijuana's safety for human use, it has absolutely no benefits for your pet.After ingesting marijuana, a dog can experience symptoms like slow heart rate, lack of coordination, disorientation, drooling and tremors that can persist for up to three days.

4-Lilies -- While lilies are well-known as a serious danger to cats, certain varieties are highly toxic to dogs as well. The peace lily, calla lily, amaryllis, lily of the valley, autumn crocus and the common houseplant, giant Dracaena or palm lily, are all deemed dangerous to dogs by the ASPCA. Ingestion of lilies can cause gastrointestinal upset, depression, anorexia and tremors.

5-Black walnuts -- Dropping from black walnut trees by the thousands, the nuts themselves don't contain anything that can harm your dog

6-Sago palm -- Often used in landscaping and as houseplants, sago palms develop seed pods that are often very tempting to dogs.
Unfortunately, the whole plant and the seeds in particular contain a potent toxin called cycasin that can be fatal, even if the dog only eats a single seed

7-7. Azalea -- A member of the widely toxic genus rhododendron, the azalea is found in many varieties all over the United States and is commonly used as an ornamental flowering shrub in landscaping.Ingestion of just a few leaves can cause serious issues like digestive upset, drooling, loss of appetite, weakness and leg paralysis

8-8. Castor bean -- This ornamental tropical plant, also used as a crop for castor oil, contains the toxic protein ricin.At the least, eating this plant can burn a dog's mouth and throat and lead to excessive thirst, vomiting and diarrhea

9-9. Daffodils -- Among the first blooms to herald the arrival of spring, daffodils are a cheerful addition to the garden, but they contain poisonous alkaloids that can cause vomiting, excessive salivation, diarrhea, convulsions, tremors and heart problems.

10-10. Dieffenbachia (Dumb Cane) -- With its broad variegated leaves, the dieffenbachia is often recommended as an ideal houseplant for natural air purification.

So please take care of our dogs form these plants.

Mary

Last edited by hazelrunpack; November 25th, 2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: No promotion, pls
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 AM.