Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 1st, 2008, 05:25 PM

Help with my new dog's behavior

Need your help.

I have a 4 year old German Shorthair/Black Lab female (spayed), Tess, that has been with us for 3+ years. Se has been a very good dog, well trained and a more Alpha female with other dogs. My wife and I are gone during the day. We decided to get another dog for companionship for Tess. We picked up a German Shorthair/Queens hound male (neutered, recently), Sid, who is about 1 year old. They are about the same size. At the pound Sid seemed submissive. We worked with him for 3 days around other dogs before taking him home. Once we brought him home, Tess was playful, but Sid was hesitant. They have had one day together. My concern is that Sid will come and show teeth and nip at Tess if Tess comes to me or my wife for petting. We have taken the Alpha role, however, I'm at a loss how to make Sid stop the nipping and accept Tess' affection. It is apparent by the eyes that Sid has made Tess submissive to him. Sid is very aware of where Tess is and if she is coming to one of us for some affection. What is the training we need to do? Is this just a time issue? We've had two dogs in the past, but my wife and I feel as much stress as the dogs!
Old October 1st, 2008, 06:00 PM
Geek Club CEO

That sounds like resource guarding, and YOU'RE the resource! It's one thing for a more dominant dog to show teeth over a toy or bone (they're going to sort out their places with eachother fine I would imagine)...but you're not a bone or a toy, you're the BOSS...at least you should be...and it sounds like this boy disagrees. I wouldn't like that in my house at all. I would be FIRMLY reinforcing your leadership role with BOTH dogs, and working with them both together and separately on basic obedience to reinforce the rules and their roles. Personally if one of my dogs was doing that I'd be nipping it in the bud pretty quickly...I would be correcting the behaviour (a firm "NO" to the teeth-shower) and redirecting with obedience commands...getting the dogs to take turns in sit/stays or down/stays followed by come commands to get some lovin'. Is it possible that you're coddling this new dog a bit? I'd probably be inclined to ignore him a bit...work with him, do NILFF (working for food etc.) and not talking to him very much...probably for a few weeks. This is really a human/handler issue more than a dog issue IMO.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old October 1st, 2008, 06:20 PM
Live well, laugh often

Good advice from Bendyfoot . I would just want to clarify to make sure that the new dog is actually not acting aggressively from fear or insecurities. The advice Bendyfoot gave would be applicable in either situation. I would also be sure to talk lots of walks together as that will hasten the bonding process and make them much more comfortable with each other.

Good luck .
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:04 PM

Great Advice from Bendifoot and TeriM. I have taken 6 walks in 2 days and the change is impressive. Also, I thought I had established the Alpha role, but realized that the extensive attention and praise to Sid was not giving him the complete understanding of my role as the BOSS. I basically ignored both dogs except for the walks, and trained Sid to heel, sit and stay in one day thanks to my other dog who responded immediately to my commands. Now I'm dealing with Sid and his anxiety of being alone in the garage at night...3 dog beds, shoes and misc. are chewed up. I gave him a chew toy today to focus his efforts on it. I expect him to identify this bone as his venting toy! We will see!
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:36 PM

Your question has been answered, we now demand pictures!

Glad to hear they are getting along better. Good idea about the bone . My dog also needs a bone or Kong at night so she has something to do when it's sleep time

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad that things are working out a bit better now, but just a question - why does Sid sleep alone in the garage at night?? I wouldn't like that either! He must feel like he's been abandoned and be frightened and is probably why he's chewing things up. Would it be possible to crate him somewhere nearer to you at night so he can see and hear the rest of the household?
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Help with my new

I agree that Sid should be with the family and you'll find that the more interaction he has with everyone the faster his training will progress. He's not learning anything by being isolated in the garage except loneliness.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:10 PM

Oh I missed the garage part I thought it was in your room. I think there would be hell to pay if I left Mags in the garage. Dogs are super sociable, you may want to consider moving them to your room or at least inside the house.

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu