Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Garden nut

Our vet visit yesterday

Well we FINALLY got in to see the vet yesterday. After making the original appointment in February, only to have a massive snowstorm which made us need to reschedule the appointment, we ended up with a date of April 2.

Anyway, I told the vet the story of Belle's puppies and how they got to go to Montreal and have the great team at Rosie's Animal Adoption take care of them all. Great job guys!

Remember, the vet wanted to put half of the litter to sleep! But as far as I know all are faring well in their new homes.

So... Belle is now overweight. Daddy gave her too many treats and table scraps I think. She was 60 pounds pregnant when we got her, then 46 pounds the day after giving birth. Now, she's a hefty 70 pounds and needs to lose some weight. Other than that and her still occurring paw yeast problem, she's doing super! The vet said it was not the same rescue dog he saw in November and is pleased with her recovery. She was severely anemic but is no longer. Her ears no longer have yeast. She received her second vaccine (which the previous owners did not do - among other things they neglected), a rabies shot and a worm pill.

Sheeba the puppy has a definite bump on her head. We asked about that and he felt it and said it might be that she hit her head on something and that's how the bone is now, or there is a cyst. We do have a marble coffee table and she has indeed bumped into it many times during play with her sister Sasha and mom Belle. (Sasha lives next door and comes to visit once in a while.) He did not seem too concerned about the bump. He wants to see her spayed this month which we will do. Sheeba also got a round of rabies, a standard puppy vaccination and worm pill. She has the round worms. I only found two round worms in her poop since January, but she needed deworming nonetheless. And another dose in 10 days.

However, Belle is close to another heat and he said he prefers to wait to perform her spay until June. So *sigh* we have to go through a heat cycle. What fun... Can you feel my excitement? She will be guarded as always when she goes out to potty and I'll be watching from the window. I was kind of hoping to get them both done at once.

Sheeba just loved all the people there and couldn't get enough attention. We saw the vet's chocolate lab wander around and he came in and sniffed at the girls. All 3 tails were wagging away. Sheeba kissed the vet and all the vet attendants. Everyone was smiling and just loved the girls. Belle wasn't too happy to be there and sulked the entire time (except when meeting the choco lab) but did not misbehave. There was a new young woman working there and she wanted to take pictures of Belle and Sheeba. The only part Sheeba didn't like was the injections and turned her head real fast to see what was being poked in the back. She noticed the needles but didn't care about the thermometer.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:13 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

CearaQC sounds like all has turned out well for you and your girls. I cant imagine what it is like to have a dog in heat but I am sure its not fun! How come you have to wait so long? is that a normal time frame for dogs in heat?? As for the weight maybe since the weather is getting nicer Belle will get some more exercise?? we are all kind of underactive during the winter months...I dont know about you but I tend to hibernate!!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

What a wonderful update, we've been missing your girls...

Now.... where are the pictures?

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm glad the girls are healthy and stealing hearts.

I'm kind of curious too as to why the vet said you had to wait to spay Belle.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Garden nut

I really don't know the exact reason. Most of the discussion was in French and I don't speak French but can understand some. Hubby did 90% of the talking. But the way he was saying it was like he didn't want to spay her immediately before or after her heat and just have it be a non-active time I guess. Maybe he wants her to have the weight lost before then. Beats me.

Pictures... well the camera has started to not cooperate. I think there was an electrical short or something while it was plugged in - not running on batteries. Hubby was using it to record himself playing guitar. Then the display screen started to mess up and while it will still take pictures, it's a total royal pain to do so. No close ups, no focus.

However, we have a chance to use a DVD video camera and just need to get some blank DVD discs then we can have some good video of the girls.

Soon...

Oh we might be babysitting one of Sheeba's male litter mates while his family goes out of town for 3 days this month. He is Max. He just got neutered recently, thankfully. Might have to get Sasha to come visit too then we'll have mega puppy play time. I wonder if they will remember each other?
Old September 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM

Hi CearaQC,
I'm with Rosies and I fostered 2 of the pups when the arrived in Montreal. We ended up keeping one of the brindle males. He has a heart murmur, and it seemed that no one wanted him because of it. Well, their loss, cause he's great. You'd never know something is wrong with his heart.

Last edited by samclam; September 24th, 2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old September 24th, 2008, 08:12 PM

here are some pics from the first night, and this summer. As you can see, he has morphed from a sheperd-looking pup to a Red Golden with a brown face and tail. Little bugger tricked us! haha
Attached Images

Last edited by samclam; September 24th, 2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old September 24th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Garden nut

Hiya

There wasn't a brindle male, just the brindle female. We were soooo tempted to keep her because she's unique, but we kept the black female instead because of her personality. In the whelping box she was always on the move, always somewhere to go and puppy things to do.

The two brown males with black muzzles were awful cute. Well, all the pups were cute. I didn't know they had heart murmurs until I heard back from Rosies until after they all got to Montreal. The vet here didn't check each one individually. I was too tired to even think to ask that while I was there. Taking care of 10 pups was really hard on me.

I've often wondered how all the other pups turned out and what they look like, especially the black male. He had curly fur on his ears whereas Sheeba didn't.

Sheeba is mostly black but when in the sun, she has golden "highlights" and the feathering on her back legs is a cross between golden color and gray.

I have whelping box pics if you're interested. And a video I made back in December.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbqftSim28A

A few from the litter were adopted locally. Sasha, another female, lives next door. Max lives across the river and Buddy lives near Forillion Park.

I got to babysit Max and Buddy this summer when their families went out of town for vacation. Both are great dogs!

A younger Sheeba and Sasha

Max and Sheeba

Max and Mom

I don't have a pic handy with Buddy. Have a video somewhere though.

The latest of my girls, during a walk in the woods behind the house.

Old September 24th, 2008, 08:49 PM

Yes, I guess he was more brown than brindle. We kept David, and the name stuck.
Blizzard is now Luke, and was in puppy class with Davey. He was the larger of the 2 golden ones. He pops by our adoptions clinics once in a while to say woof.
Adams - now Ben is living with another golden out in the country.
Gaspard (the black one) went to a home with twin 8 year old boys
Kara was adopted to a home that has other Rosie dogs to play with - I'd love to see a pic of her now!
Old September 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Garden nut

Tricked indeed!

Wow I can't believe that's the same dog.

I would have never imagined the brown ones growing up to look like that. Amazing.

He's beautiful!

What'd you name him?

I wonder if this is the same pup. The two brown males looked an awful lot alike.

This was the brindle female

Old September 24th, 2008, 09:08 PM

funny how they all have that little white mark on their chest
We kept the name Davey
Old September 24th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Garden nut

Yeah they all had the little white chest mark, as does their mom.

Although on Sheeba it's really small, hard to see.

We never found out who the dad was. Sandy was only with us 8 days before giving birth. We didn't know much about where she came from other than she was pregnant and mistreated.
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awww, it is so nice to get an update on some of the pups . Wow, I can't believe Davey is the same dog, what a change in colour

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Senior Contributor

omg!!! they r sooo cute!! & happy i am sure in the forever homes!