Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 10th, 2008, 06:59 AM

Geriatric Vestibular Syndrome? Just not sure... PLEASE HELP!

Good morning all! I am new to the boards and am so happy to find you all

My seven year old lab/dane mix, Harry, started showing signs of what we now think may be geriatric vestibular syndrome on Sunday (4 days ago). He initially would try to stand up and promptly fall after a couple wobbly steps. Eventually, he just quit trying to stand up altogether. We took him to our emergency vet and she did x-rays which were all clear (he does have a bit of arthritis that flairs up from time to time, but nothing this severe). We took him out to a carpeted area of the hospital to try and get him to walk. He stood up, took a few "drunken looking" steps and collapsed. Other than this symptom, though, he was completely normal. No head tilt, no eye movement, no vomiting. She kept him overnight and started him on amoxicillin, sucralfate and toradol. The next day he was able to stand and walk on his own, but he's still got the drunken gait. He has eaten and drank completely normally through this whole ordeal. His condition has stayed about the same since we picked him up at the vet - I've been sleeping on the couch with him on the floor beside me on some blankets and padding. He pretty much hangs out there until we coax him to get up and go out. Peeing and pooping normally too....oh, and his gait has changed a little bit to include quick, tiny steps with his front paws - my husband seems to think he's just doing that to try and steady himself.

Does this sound like GVD to you all? With the lack of vomiting, head tilt and eye movement, I'm just not sure.....should I just see what time brings or should I pursue more treatment?

Your input is MOST welcome....thank you all in advance!!!

Julie

Last edited by julster; September 10th, 2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:53 AM

Anyone? Please?

Old September 10th, 2008, 02:20 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Julster, so sorry to hear that your dog is not well. What did the emergency vet say it was? Perhaps, if you are not satisfied, you should make an appt with your regular vet.

My dog did have GVD last year and from all I have read on the subject the head tilt is a classic symptom. It sounds as tho your baby only seems to have the drunken walk which could be neurological or some type of nerve problem from the arthritis. :sad:

I wish I could be of more help and please do keep us posted if you get any more information.

Hope by the time you read this your dog is doing much better. You are a good Mummy keeping him company on the couch at night. I did the same with Ginger until it ran its course.

Good luck
Old September 10th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Di - Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm hoping maybe Dr. Lee will give me some more insight. I do have a friend whose dog had GVD without the head tilt or eye movement, so I guess I'm grasping (and hoping) that's all it is, but I think I may just be trying to talk myself out of the possibility that it's something more serious. Her dog vomited with it, which Harry hasn't done either so he only has one symptom out of five. Not very good odds that GVD is a fit I guess.

Her other thought was a stroke, but he doesn't seem to have weakness on one particular side. And if it were a tumor or cancer, wouldn't he still be unable to walk at all????

I can't wait to get home from work and see how he's doing. My boss let me leave at noon yesterday so I could be with him, but no such luck today.

Thanks again.....
Old September 10th, 2008, 09:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Any update, julster?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:15 PM

Welllllllllllll, he's about the same. Maybe a touch better. I just had him outside - I have to get in front of him and support his belly while he's going down the stairs to get to the yard. Then when he goes back in, I've been needing to pretty much lift his rear because he's so wobbly. Tonight I barely had to lift him...more like guide him up the steps. He's still walking like he's drunk, but he IS walking.....he's laying at my feet right now. Looks like another night of sleeping on the couch for me. He's really pretty normal other than the ataxia.

I'm hoping maybe Dr. Lee will jump on the boards this evening and give me his two cents.....

Thanks for asking!!!!
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:17 AM

Well, Harry is moving a little tentatively this morning. I'm getting discouraged not seeing much improvement in him. I think I'll call the vet today and see what next steps we can take...I'm also going to PM Dr. Lee as I see he wasn't on the boards last night.

Btw, Harry has survived not one, but TWO bouts of bloat! He's our wonder puppy and is absolutely the BEST dog I've ever owned. It's killing me to watch him struggle like this - don't get me wrong, he's in no pain from what we can tell, just very off-balance and wobbly. I'm thinking I should have seen some improvement by now.....

Thanks everyone for caring. It means alot.....
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:00 PM

A Setback?

Well, I just got back from the vet's office. Would you believe me if I told you he has bloat again???? I'm a total wreck. I cannot believe this is happening again. The good news (if there is any) is that his stomach is tacked, so he shouldn't be able to torsion. They are going to sedate him and pass a tube down into his stomach to try and relieve the pressure. My question is - could the bloat have caused the ataxia in the first place?????? When she did the x-rays on Sunday she said there was a bit of gas in his stomach, but didn't think it was enough to cause him to bloat......

I can't believe this is happening. Again.