Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 30th, 2004, 04:49 PM

Exclamation Territorial or Medical

We have a 4 year old greyhound that we've had for a 1 1/2 years. He came from a rescue group that got them from race tracks. He was so good in the house and we had no problems. In the beginning of the year, he started peeing occassionaly in the house. We had then started confining him to one room while we were gone during the day to see if that helped and it did. He stopped for a bit. For the past month or so, he's been doing it again. Usually in the same spots (around the coffee table in the living room).

We know he doesn't have a weak bladder because when he is in his room there is no peeing.

The hubby and I are at a loss and the hubby is getting really frustrated. Does anyone have any thoughts what it might be? These were the only points I could think that might be a factor

- We got a new kitten in mid August. Might be territorial?
- Lately, he has been also aggressive with the dogs at the dog park. Some he likes, some he doesn't. Used to be good with most of them. Territorial again?
- The hubby and I have been really busy lately so haven't had time to take him out for a lot of exercise. He goes out about 4 times a day , which is a 10 - 15min walk to the dog park to do his business. Lack of exercise?
- He seems to get stressed easily though nothing has happened recently to make him go like this.

That's all I can think of. We were going to take him to the vet anyway for an annual check up so we were thinking of brining it up then.

The fact that it always seems to be in the same area is making me think territorial but I just don't know.

Any help would be SOOOO very much appreciated. We just don't know what to do to stop him.
Old October 30th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

The new kitten, the change in schedule, and the decrease in exercise may all be contributing factors that are causing some degree of stress.

If there is no physical problem, I suggest you increase exercise. 10 - 15 minute walks are absolutely not adequate for a 4 yr old greyhound. Instead of 4 times a day for 15 minutes, a good hour walk would be better. A hard run once or twice a week would help also.

As for dogs in the dog park - if he is aggressive towards any of them, I wouldn't take him there. Greyhounds have no body fat, have skin that tears very easily and can be injured by seemingly very little. You could try finding some clubs where people can take their greyhounds for lure coursing. These are sighthounds built for the chase, and they do need this.

Lack of exercise can cause behavioral problems,and I really think this might be a big part of the problem. I would go to the vet, then try increasing exercise and see how it goes.