Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old May 26th, 2008, 09:52 PM

Question

I am new to this forum. I have an 11 year old Lab/rottweiler mix. She has trouble walking now, her bark has grown quite hoarse and she barks at the cars from a lying down position instead of running the perimeter of the yard and barking, like when she was younger. I feed her a mixture of raw turkey necks, chicken wings, chop meat, chicken kidneys and livers and rice pilaf (rice, sweet potatoes, green peppers, carrots, celery, apple, collards (or greens) and olive oil). I also give her Fetch-Flex™ for her hip joints. My friend recommended Motrim to ease her pain. I know she is old and I want her to be happy with minimum pain. While researching her diet, I get conflicting menus. Are there any vegetables that I should use besides these? Are there any to be avoided? Thank you !
LL
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Swift Tribe

i think variety is the key, our labX gets the kids left overs.... we really try to eat healthy so its all good stuff (minus onions and grapes/raisins). he regularly gets cheddar bunnies, peas and carrots, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, honey sandwiches, 'spring mix' lettuce, snow peas, spaghetti.... really whatever we eat. maybe try feeding some fish and eggs too??

as for OTC people drugs, always talk to your vet first!!!

have you had any labs run on her?? 11yo?? thats been a pretty long life so far!!! pictures??? puhlease?!?!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Please, take her to the vet and have her checked out. Her diet sounds decent but the fact that she lays down to bark at things worries me. While it could just be arthritis, a vet would be better able to prescribe something for pain.
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:32 PM

Question

Here are some pics

Thanks for your input!!

LL
Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Albert's mommy

If arthritis is setting in..you definetely want to stay away from potatoes!

You should have a full blood panel run on her. Once you know what is going on internally,you can work on a menu that will benefit HER, completely tailored to her needs. And this forum can definetely help.

She is on in years, and you want to give her the best quality of life possible!
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:15 AM

I would agree that a trip to the vet would rule out anything else going on then if it is age related arthritis there are things you could try.

I have heard that people who have arthritis should stay away from nightshade family veggies - potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant. Don't know if this has actually been scientifically proven but I am trying to eliminate these foods in one of my dog's diet to see if it helps.

I think fish oil is a great addition and can reduce inflammation.

I had my dog on glucosamine and chondroitin for awhile but haven't been using it this past summer. I think it sometimes works but sometimes doesn't work. I thought it worked for a few years and then I didn't really see a difference anymore???

Not sure about motrin but my vet has said I could give low dose aspirin with food. You could ask your vet about the motrin or aspirin to get his opinion and the proper dose for your dog's weight. I have seen more results with aspirin then glucosamine. I thought I would try it first instead of the stronger meds that might have bad side effects. Although aspirin can cause bleeding so must give with food and watch for blood in stool or dark stool etc.
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:56 PM

You should try and take her to the vet first and just get a check over I totally agree with that. Her diet does look good but one thing I would recommend you add to her diet though is kelp. It is very nutritious and mineral packed and even helps with other issues as well. Have you ever heard of a product called Elk Velvet Antler? If you havn't it is extracted from an elks antler in a very hummane pain free way to the elk. I personally give this to my elderly golden and she does wonders from it for her hip disyplasia. Not only does it help with joints but skin and coat health, improved circulation, and kidney function. Hope this helps
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Get some apple cider vinegar ( un pasturized) the stuff works wonders and I SWEAR by it.

always my holistic recomendation, but I agree with the others, a vet visit would be the first place to start.

Very beautiful girl too!
Old September 6th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Live well, laugh often

I would not give motrin as that is ibuprofen and can be very harmful. I would also skip the green peppers from the veggies and add a glucosamine/chondrotin/msm supplement. Ask your vet about a med like Meticam (anti inflamatory and pain) that can be either used for bad days or as a lower dose daily medication.

Good luck and your furries are very cute .