Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 8th, 2004, 07:13 PM

Unhappy Pregnant cat bleeding - PLEASE HELP!

I am a U.S. Peace Corps volunteer currently serving in the West Indies. I have no access to vets or veterinary care for my cat, Maji. She is 7 months old and recently became pregnant.

Everything was going really well with Maji until last week. She started “spotting” a little – some clear fluid tinted with blood occasionally coming from her vaginal opening (is that what it’s called on cats?). Over the course of the weekend it became heavier and a bit more red in color and has continued. It is not all the time, just occasionally. It is definitely not only blood – it is mixed with another fluid. I am very concerned that she may have miscarried one (or more) of the kittens. Nothing has happened to her that might have caused her any stress or trauma or injuries – I am keeping her indoors these days and she stays very close to me. She is still eating very well and her stools are normal. She will cry every now and then – almost as though she is in pain – and she walks around then lays on her back on the ground. This seems to pass pretty quickly, but again, it concerns me. If we calculated correctly, Maji is in her 7th week of pregnancy. I don’t know what to expect – in everything I read, this does not seem like normal feline pre-birth behavior. If she did miscarry, it was in her 5th or 6th week, so would she have a kitten fetus still inside of her? If so, could she still go into labor? Can she pass it if or when she has the other kittens?

Any advice from you would be extremely helpful. Thank you for all of your help!

Cari
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Senior Contributor

I have no clue, but do you have access to a regular doctor? They should know something about birthin' babies. They might be able to help you out.
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,a baby having babies......

It doesn't sound good at all.Especially if she has miscarried.The babies need to come out.If not major infection will set in and you are going to loose your kitten.

As Sandi suggested,see if there is a regular doc that can help.
Old June 8th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Why don't you have access to a vet, there are vets in the West Indies.

Many people in the peace corps are educated individuals and it wouldn't surprise me if you have an undergrad there who wants to be a vet.
Old June 9th, 2004, 08:35 AM

Arrow Thank you for your responses

Thank you all for your replies. My neighbor here is a doctor and I have asked him about Maji's condition. He was the one who said she might be having a miscarriage or that she may be early-aborting. I live on the island of St. Lucia. Unfortunately, there is a general disregard for animals here - especially those that do not provide a food source or a service. Cats and dogs are very undervalued (in my opinion) and do not have the kind of care they need here. Most people I have asked about Maji say, "well, if she dies you'll just get another one!" - not the response I am looking for. Due to the nature of the living conditions here, all animal doctors (and even bush doctors) only treat large animals such as horses, cows and sheep. I have been asking around for advice on cat pregnancy, but it seems that there is little regard for it or knowledge of it. Some locals who have animals and were willing to give me advice were less than convincing. They gave me several bush-medicine recipes and even rituals to perform – both if which I am very weary of using.

So, this is why I have turned to online help. If there was help available here, believe me, I would have gotten it by now. There are 24 other Peace Corps volunteers on the island, all of which are aware of Maji's situation, none of which know what to do about it. Again, why I have been online all night searching for help.

Maji seems to be staying very close to me now and I am keeping a close eye in her. I will keep you posted if anything eventful happens.

Thanks again for you time and concern.

Cari
Old June 9th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Cari you are between a rock and a hard place!
Can you contact one of the Vet's at all? At 7 weeks gestation you should be able to see kitten skull's on an xray. (How to count how many if any..)
If nothing is detected maybe a small dose of oxytocin to help clean her out and a few weeks of amoxicillin. Any Vet should have these supplies. Without a Vet it sure sounds like dystocia. If she was stable enough my first choice would be surgery but it sounds like this is not an option for you...anything you do right now will not be without risk but it's better than doing nothing.
Oxytocin will start strong contractions and hopefully expell the fetuses....this is very risky since it sounds like her body has already tried that hence dystocia...the risk of bleeding and tearing her uterus is very high also. Please try and talk with one of the Vets....Also, can you get a rectal temp on her? Wishing you ton's of luck.....
Old August 16th, 2008, 07:22 PM

Smile Hello:

I am new at this. I have always had cats in my life. I now have 4, Sickboy (named after a song) 10yrs old, Pixie, 8 yrs. old, King Louie, 5 yrs. old and Amos, he's 3 yrs old. I have been baby sitting Amos now for about 6 months. He is actually my daughter's cat. My concern is, lately Amos has been laying around every chance he gets. He even lays down to eat. He has been having trouble going up the stairs. He does this one step at at a time. I have checked his paws, for possible splinters or something and they look ok. Could he be having trouble with his hip?? I appreciate any help with this. Thanks. sincerely, mum414:
Old August 16th, 2008, 07:47 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Hi mum414 and welcome to Pets!
You need to start a new post on this subject in order to maybe get some help. I think your best bet is to make a vet appt and get your little one in for a checkup. Without some history it's hard to say what is happening.

To start a new thread of your own go to this area in the blue section at the top of page:

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pet health

Then go to Pet health and you will see a sub forum for "cat health."
Click on that. At the top of that page you will see "New Thread" in a small blue box. Click on that and you will be able to post this in the proper place.

Good luck with your kitty. Stick around. You sound like a great kitty person!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 17th, 2008, 12:42 AM
-

I agree......Amos is much too young to be laying around and having trouble going up & down the stairs. He needs to see a vet asap.

Please keep us updated and start a new thread......good luck at the vet.
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Back to the original post about the pregnant kitten ....

I've been to St. Lucia and can't believe they don't have a vet. I did a brief google of "St. Lucia vet" and came up with all kinds of animal welfare places on the island. I think you need to dig a bit more and make some phonecalls. If all else fails, call the mayor or city hall! She needs to see a vet and please also schedule her spaying.
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:20 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogansma View Post
Back to the original post about the pregnant kitten ....

I've been to St. Lucia and can't believe they don't have a vet. I did a brief google of "St. Lucia vet" and came up with all kinds of animal welfare places on the island. I think you need to dig a bit more and make some phonecalls. If all else fails, call the mayor or city hall! She needs to see a vet and please also schedule her spaying.
The original post was 4 years ago and the poster has not been back since then.