Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 25th, 2004, 07:35 AM

Housebreaking a statement

Talk about a statement! My dog does her duty whenever my husband and I are "doing it". Even if she's already gone out and done her thing outside. It's like she'll save some up just for this time. I don't know what to do to stop this. Should we crate her when we start to get in the mood? It's a little awkward and many times unpredictable.
Old October 25th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I would crate her everytime I thought there might be the slightest possiblity of well, you know.

Since dogs don't think like people at all, she is not having accidents because of the your behavior. I think you might want to crate her any time you can't have her in your sight for a while.
Old October 25th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Messy Moments

I think she is stressed when you are "together". Stress can cause dogs to have to relieve themselves, so crating would be good and could help contain the problem but it may not fix it.
She is probably overly attached to one of you and feels that her person is being coveted and that is stressful.
You should start showing affection to each other is mild ways and build up to more "energy" as she gets used to it. Just hugging each other can start her feeling stress. So hug and then walk away from each other. Then hug, show some added affection and then walk away. If she seems calm during these times then reward her with your voice and touch (so she feels that you haven't frogotten her). If she shows any stress then ask her to sit/stay, hug each other and then praise her for doing a good job and then release her. If she is working then her mind is on that and not on you so much.
Keep an eye on her, if she does anything in the direction of 'making a mistake' or starts to jump up on you - correct the behavior and try again. When you correct her you need to sound slightly miffed, but do not go over board, because she is already stressed and this is an emotional issue for her. Too much anger and you could make the situation worse.
Work your way towards being able to show more and more affection with her behaving well.
Think of her as an overly attached child who is threatened by the parents showing affection. It is highly stressful, and very out of balance. The child needs to accept that the parents have the primary relationship, but that their affection for each other does not diminish the love they have for her.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended