Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 19th, 2003, 11:10 AM

LuckyRescue

I'd appreciate that URL. I figure the more people I can talk to, the more I can learn, the better I can take care of her.

Thanks,

Lou
Old November 19th, 2003, 11:18 AM

LuckyRescue,

I don't have a problem getting my pit neutured, but I don't have enough funds right now to get it done. The vet said we need to get him neutured. B/C his (I don't know how else to explain it) balls don't dangle like they're supposed to. WE are going to get him neutured. If I can find somewhere that would let us make payments, that would be great.

I am very responsible with my pit. I watch what he does. I don't let him run loose around my neighbor. He loves people. As soon as someone comes to my house, he's jumping all over the place. He licks them, tries to act like a lap dog. I think I am very responsible. I'm careful when I take him on walks.

We did get a different cage/crate for our pit. I don't see my dog being violent but I will still stay very alert.

I seen a couple of pits who the "lower class" people have and they are so nasty. My pit is nothing like that. My pit is very
friendly.

I would like the URL to the pit bull message board. Thank you for helping me with my Thor.
Old November 19th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Daisy and Petuniasdad, check your private messages.
Old November 19th, 2003, 01:00 PM

Thank You LuckyRescue.
Old November 19th, 2003, 02:40 PM

LuckyRescue

I just visited that site you gave me. I talked to someone on there and asked about my pit. I asked her if my pit can have serious health problems (his balls don't dangle like they should) and she said it can be cancer? I talked to my husband and as soon as we get enough money together we are going to get him neutured.

I don't want anything happening to my Petie. We are all very attached to him, he's an excellent dog. I'm very concerned that something might happen if we don't get this taken care of asap.

Do you think there is someplace in PA that will work with me, or is there a number I can call?

Just look at how great of a dog he is. I don't want to loose him to cancer. Please help me and let me know what else I can do or who I can call. He's been fine so far. I know this is a VERY SERIOUS MATTER. He's a very happy dog. If anyone can help me it will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Old November 19th, 2003, 02:43 PM

LR in case you didn't check your PM. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE INFO (URL)
Old November 19th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I just visited that site you gave me. I talked to someone on there and asked about my pit. I asked her if my pit can have serious health problems (his balls don't dangle like they should) and she said it can be cancer? I talked to my husband and as soon as we get enough money together we are going to get him neutured
There must have been some miscommunication. The person you talked to - who has vast experience with these dogs - was under the impression that your dog's testicles were retained, that is, still inside his body. When that happens, it's considered a good idea to neuter.

Judging from the picture you sent me, that is not the case with your dog, as both testicles are clearly visible.
Old November 19th, 2003, 05:29 PM

So then my Petie isn't going to have any health problems? I know that I need to get it taken care of, and we are as soon as we can.

My children as well as my husband and I have alot of love for Petie and would be very devasted if something should happen.

I should have explained myself better when I was speaking to the other woman before. That was my mistake. The woman told me she has 3 Pit Bulls. I do think it was my fault when I was trying to explain my situation to her.

I also read an article on that site, where a pit rescued a little boy who was being attacked by an akita. I never seen an article or a news cast about that, showing that pits do have good in them. I only ever seen negative articles and news cast about pits.

I think that the public should also publicized the good and positive things that pits do, and not just focus on the negative (which is due to irresponsible owners). They are wonderful dogs. I wouldn't give my Petie up for anything.

I'm glad I found this website. There isn't anybody around where I live that I can talk to about my Pit.

Alot of people around here are against pit bulls. I believe that the animal shelter here won't even let you adopt a pit bull. IF they get a Pit, then put it to sleep. (A friend of mine told me that. They had gone to the shelter and saw a pit and the workers wouldn't let them adopt it. Unless there was something wrong w/the adoption and they omitted that info.)

I'm also glad that I found very pleasant people to speak to (like yourself) about Pit Bulls.

When my dog gets neutured is he going to be able to walk? I know I'll have to keep my other dogs and my children away from him for a couple of weeks.
Old December 7th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I do have to day something.It is so much better to get a male fixed.I didn't get my GSD Yukon fixed as a pup.When he was 4 and went to the vets for his yearly.When he got checked the vet noticed that his prostate was swollan.And because he didn't have any sex with a female.That is what caused the swelling.With the swelling of the prostate,that is a sign that cancer would soon develope.Well you know what I did.Yes I got Yukon fixed.I was not about to loose my dog to cancer.And this can happen in any breed.So yes,neutering is the best thing to do.He is 7 now and his prostate is fine.
Old December 7th, 2003, 09:08 PM

I'm sorry to hear that about Yukon. Now you have me scared. My husband wants to breed Ruger, but we can't find a female to breed him with.

Do you know how I can check on that (cancer from not being bred)? I believe you, but do you have a website or know how I can get that info and print it out to show my husband?

I told him either we need to breed Ruger or get him neutured. He has a hard time with the part of neuturing Ruger. He did pay alot for Ruger and I understand him hesitating on getting him neutured, but I don't want Ruger to get cancer all b/c we didn't get him bred or neutured.

Sorry for all the rambling, but I'm still learning on this site and I want to know as much as I can about my dogs. They too are my family and I don't want to loose any of them.
Old December 8th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you daisy.I don't have a website for that.Sorry.But this is something that should be disscussed with your vet.I was going to stud Yukon out.But I was very picky on who I was going to choose.I was not just going to let him do it with any female.And when I found one,he was not interested.As for using Ruger as a stud,well you know how we all feel about brining unwanted puppies into this world.Don't get me wrong,I am sure you will do your homework and find the right mate for him.But there are so many GSD's being bred wrong.As for your husband,I too paid alot for Yukon.And I am just happy to have Yukon as a family pet then a stud.So talk to your vet about this.Ruger will still have his manhood.Hahahahaha....Please let me know what happens ok.All the best.And just so you know,Tron was fixed as a pup.All the best.
Old December 8th, 2003, 11:40 AM

Hello mona_b,

I know and understand about all the unwanted puppies, and believe me I don't want to contribute anymore.

I will discuss this w/my husband some more and the vet. Maybe I can have the vet explain to my hubby the circumstances as to not getting him bred. I too am happy to have him as a family pet.

If we were to stud him, we will definately do our homework as to the female's bloodline, history, etc.

I honestly don't see Ruger ever getting bred. He is a great dog. I just don't want him to have any health problems b/c we didn't get him neutured.

I will keep you updated on this. Thanks a bunch.
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Smile

Well I am so glad to hear that you would do the homework.Have you discussed with hubby about the chances of the prostate cancer?Like I mentioned before,discuss this with your vet and see what he says.But I wouldn't wait to long.Has the vet been doing rectel exams on Ruger?Please keep me updated.
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:54 PM

No, he's been working alot. I will talk to him about it. and talk to the vet.

They do examine him when he's there. So far everything is Good w/him. Thank God.

I will keep you posted. Thanks.
Old December 8th, 2003, 11:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I am so glad everything is alright with Ruger.i must say,I like that name Ruger.Different.