Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 1st, 2008, 06:09 PM

Question My son's kitten

[my son's kitten seems to have a swollen belly. has anyone else seen this before. Is this normal or is there something wrong with him. Could this be a hernia ? He does have a small lump where the umbellical cord was .I have enclosed a picture of his belly sorry if it's not to clear ..

[IMG][/IMG]
Old August 1st, 2008, 06:41 PM
chronically insane.

Take a poop sample to the vets to rule out worms and parasites. Otherwise yes, most kittens do get fat tummies. It's usually completely normal and is just baby fat. You just need to make sure it's not actually bloated due to a medical condition though. Other then that it's totally normal and fun to tickle fat little tummies.

Is he pooping normal? Runny, smelly or odd coloured poo's mean something could be wrong.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old August 1st, 2008, 06:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Worms maybe? Has he had a recent check-up?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 1st, 2008, 07:19 PM

he did have runny poop andyes they where very smelly ... I did give him a worm treatement yesterday but did not see any worms in his poop. I do not know how old this kitten his . my son does not know either as the person that was giving them away did not tell him either. My guess would be 4-5 weeks old by his size .. his little belly always looks bigand feels hard but also i can feel his ribs when i rubthe side of his belly .. But I will definitely take a stool sample to the vets tuesday since they are closed on weekends and monday being a holiday..
Old August 1st, 2008, 07:34 PM
chronically insane.

Oh then he's sick. Did you actually have a stool sample taken into the vet for examination to get the proper medication? Not all worm medicines treat all type of worms. What medication did you give him?

He's also atleast 8 weeks of age. There is no way he is 4-5 weeks unless there's hormones in the water where you live that turned him into a giant

I had a foster who was 7 weeks and had runny poops, bloated tummy and we tried Albon first, but that did not work. I got him Nemex in the liquid form from my vet tech friend and he was all betted after about 2 weeks.

Old August 1st, 2008, 07:39 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

My guess is also worms. FYI - a kitten who is 4 or 5 weeks old is way too young to be taken from momma. I would think from his size he is at least 8 or 9 weeks. The vet can give you a fairly good idea when you take him in for his first needles and a good checkup.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 1st, 2008, 08:08 PM

My son's kitten

you're right he might be around 7 weeks old but he was so tiny when my son came home with him 2 weeks ago he was no bigger then my hand he was so small i was sure he was way to small to be away from the mother but he did eat solid kitty food ..he as gotten bigger but his belly as me puzzled but, No i haven't seen the vet yet but will be taking him next tuesday for sure this has me worried ..funny tho he seems to be fine other then that ..still very playfull like a normal kitten should be ..

The worm treatement i gave him is called Vetscription worm-away, got that from the pet store the other day.
Old August 1st, 2008, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I have never wanted to use any kind of treatment like that for my cats that come from a pet store. Your kitty might have parasites, that's something they can get a sample of from their stool. The youngest of my cats I bought home was Oksana. She was 12 weeks old and had a bit of a belly. I'd adopted her from my vets office, but after having her home for about a week her belly got a little bigger and pretty firm. I took her in and she had parasites. I was given some medication and she was fine.

It would be a very good idea to take your little one in as soon as you can, just to give him an over all exam and his vaccinations.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 1st, 2008, 08:45 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie's_Mom View Post
you're right he might be around 7 weeks old but he was so tiny when my son came home with him 2 weeks ago he was no bigger then my hand he was so small i was sure he was way to small to be away from the mother but he did eat solid kitty food ..he as gotten bigger but his belly as me puzzled but, No i haven't seen the vet yet but will be taking him next tuesday for sure this has me worried ..funny tho he seems to be fine other then that ..still very playfull like a normal kitten should be ..

The worm treatement i gave him is called Vetscription worm-away, got that from the pet store the other day.
Yeah, it's great, isn't it, the way they make over the counter meds sound like they are vet approved or something. The thing is that meds that are sold in pet stores generally do not work because they do not have enough of the active ingredients to get rid of whatever ailment the kitty has. Those meds also do not cover all types of worms if that is what we are suspecting he has.
One way you could check is to look around his bottom. If you see grain like stuff hanging off his fur around his anus he has tapeworms. You have a dog so you know that. There is another worm that breaks off in pieces normally when kitty has a BM. It looks like a small, slightly slimy piece of paper stuck to the fur. Normally the only type of worm you are likely to see is a roundworm. They are usually expeled through vomiting and/or bowel movements.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 1st, 2008, 09:12 PM
chronically insane.

Hey just an FYI: Don't ever waste your money on OTC 'prescription' vet meds. They are pretty much useless. It's by Sergeants which is a highly controversial brand.. their products can't always be trusted and their flea meds have been shown to be dangerous.

Quote:
Description
Sergeant’s® Vetscription® Worm-Away® for Cats and Kittens, 12 capsules, is for the removal of large roundworms.

It's just for roundworms. It doesn't say what kind of roundworms though, because I believe there are actually 2 types of round worms.

The kitten could have hookworm or tapeworms though. My kitten had roundworm that was treated with Nemex, which is a prescription that is totally proven to be effective. I can't even find out what the magical 'de wormer' in the worm-away is.

Old August 2nd, 2008, 09:47 AM

A year ago I took in a little stray. At the time I figured that she was about 5 months old. She was very thin and small.

I asked the Vet how old she was and the Vet looked at her teeth and said, " Two or Three years". She is just a petite cat and had been practically starving for months. My best guess is that someone had dumped her off in the woods near my house.

Within a Month her belly had swelled and has been huge ever since (been a year now). Vet sais she is fine.

This cat seems to have two simple rules in life:

1) I will never go hungry again! I will eat until I am full and then eat some more!

2) I will never go outside again!
Old August 2nd, 2008, 12:13 PM

Thank you very much for all your help..Could this be one of the reason he is constantly eating?
I've had cats before but I've never had one with this problem . I supose theres nothing I can do for him in the meantime until tuesday like a home remedy .. My husband is starting to scare me with this ,he says that the little kitten can die . I wish I was still in ontario at least there we had vet clinics open on weekends onlike here in NB.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 09:25 PM
150% PRO S/N

Tell hubby to behave. It's not nice scaring you like that.
If the kitten is playing, using the litter box regularily, seeming to have lots of energy, just basically has the big belly, then he should be fine. I am not going to commit to saying he will be fine because I can't. Things happen and I am not a vet. Just going by what you are telling us.
And yes, having worms could quite probably be why he is pigging out.
No home remedy available for worms. If there was I would have used it instead of worming all of my crew when they needed it.
Good luck on Tues and please let us know how it goes.