Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:49 AM

Limping kitty

Hi,

My cat, Surabi, has been limping for the last couple of days. Her back left leg is sore. She just had a shot in one of her back legs, I forget which one, last week at the vets for her allergies. I thought that her sore leg might be because it might have been the leg she had the shot in. But, it has occurred for too long for that. Now she is at a constant limp. I plan on taking her to the vet tomorrow or the next day. I felt her leg, she did not like it, but I did not feel anything broken; to my knowledge. Any idea's of what might be troubling her; I do not have a medical background.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:10 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

hi jennifer, it actually could be from kitties shots sometimes it takes a couple weeks to show up. She may have moved when getting the shot and hit a muscle. Can you feel a lump at all, sometimes they have a reaction to the shot. for taking her to the vet to make sure..

Oh and by the way, welcome...
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:06 AM
-

I agree with Aslan but it's a good idea to get your vet to check it out. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old July 5th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Thank you for your insight

I took Surabi to the vet and the vet said that she is bow legged. Her knee joint, i don't know the exact name but it connects to the tibia, pops in and out of socket and it gives her pain. Basically making her bow legged. She is at a level 2 of 4. So we are monitoring it and hoping that she doesn't get any worse than she is because that means surgery. But since we caught it when she is so young, 2, we are hoping it won't progress. Thank you for your insight on the situation.
Old July 27th, 2008, 05:53 PM

Hi Jennifer, from what you describe it sounds like your kitty has a luxating patella (or loose knee cap) which is not too common in cats, but very common in toy dogs. If it was not caused by trauma (like getting hit by a car or other trauma) it is considered genetic. Anything more than a level 2 usually needs surgery (which is kind of expensive, btw) and the kitty has to stay in a crate for quite a while during recovery (a couple of months). I know all this because my kitten developed this severely (level 4 and 3) on both back legs and I was devastated. I started going to a holistic vet and he prescribed omega 3 fatty acids (a good quality fish oil will do it) and glucosamine (Dasuquin I think is the name of the stuff I use) which helped her tremendously and she has been cured for the most part. Now this could be totally coincidental but I'm just so thilled about the outcome. My vet said that it can get worse with age but sometimes they can outgrow it. I hope your kitty gets better. If you are so inclined, I would definitely try the Dasuquin. You sprinkle it on the food and it is very palatable. Good luck.
Old July 27th, 2008, 06:54 PM
~Cat Servent~

don't know how I missed this thread... my Fagan suffers from the exact same thing, and at first it was happening pretty often (he was also only about 2 at the time), I have been giving him Glucosamine and Chondritin (started with powder and now just use the treats that already have it in them) and it's 2 years later and he has had a lot of improvement, in fact over the last year he's only had trouble once or twice.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M