Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 14th, 2008, 06:22 AM

dental surgery

hi all.

my beautiful cline kitty is having two molars extracted today (they are in bad shape, and are causing her pain). i'm a little nervous, as i've never had to have this done before, plus she is almost twelve years old. a little advice and comfort from y'all sure would help make me feel better. anyone else had this done? if so, how has your cat fared afterwards? is it a long healing process? will she be able to eat okay (mostly soft food i would imagine, right?).

thanks, all.
tracy
Old July 14th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Aztec had 2 molars and a canine removed last year and he recovered great (he was 14 at the time). Couple of concerns: is or did the vet do pre-surgery blood work? Are they going to monitor blood pressure during the procedure?Will she be hooked up to IV fluids before, during and after surgery? What sort of post-op painkillers and antibiotics are they planning to use? These are all important questions to ask your vet, especially considering her age. Here is a good overview of dentals and what to expect: http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Dental_procedure

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Senior Contributor

My diabetic Peppi()had one of his"fangs"removed,recovered in no-time,don't remember giving him any painkillers,he must have been about 14 yrs old at the time.
I am sure your kitty will be fine,but I know how worrysome any surgical procedure can be
Old July 14th, 2008, 08:09 AM

thanks so much

hi sugar and chico.

thanks for responding so quickly. i'm sure everything will be fine, i'm just a real worrier. you feel so guilty denying them their breakfast and then dropping them off and leaving, you know? of my three cats, cline kitty is my "big old wet sock" - always content just to lay in my lap and purr while i pet her - she'd stay there all day if she could! such a mushbug

anyway, she did already have the bloodwork done a week ago when i took her in for the checkup where the doc discovered the bad teeth. i didn't know about blood pressure and fluids, but i am confident that all measures will be taken to ensure her good health. my vet is excellent. the few times i've had to take my cats to other vets due to my vet being on vacation, they have missed the mark completely, and i ended up taking my cats in to her once she returned. she hits the nail on the head every time. nobody knows cats like this lady! that's why i waited a week to have this done. it was the first available surgery appt i could get with her, and i'm not letting anyone else come near cline kitty with a scalpel.

again, thanks for the comforting words. will post back later once my girl is back home with her mama.

tracy
Old July 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM

she's home

hi all.

cline kitty is home from her ordeal. it turned out that she had to have three molars out, not two. she was given antibiotics via injection, and i have to give her liquid pain meds over the next six days or so. her stitches will dissolve on their own. poor baby is quite happy to be home with her mama. all the girls at the vet's office love her - she's such a pleasure to work on.

thanks for your support!

tracy
Old July 14th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am glad all went well for cline kitty.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 14th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww that's great and 3 teeth,poor little thing,but it's over and she will recover,hopefully not too much pain
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:23 AM

Sorry I missed this one I'm happy Cline is doing great

Duffy (17 yrs) had several extractions a couple of months ago, here's our story http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52735 & http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52870

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:19 AM

thanks, all!

thanks again for the support, everyone. cline kitty continues to do well. i'm so happy they gave her an antibiotic shot that lasts 14 days. the last thing i'd want to have to do would be trying to pill her while she has a sore mouth. also, her pain med is liquid. first time i've used liquid, and i'll try to get that every time from now on - it's so much easier than pilling!!

cheers!
tracy & cline kitty (her pic is by my moosedry name - she is such a doll!)