Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 27th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Berner not eating?

Hello everyone, looks like a great site wish I didn;t find it under these circumstances.

My 12 month old Bernese PJ has stopped eating his food for the last couple days. We took him to the vet and started him on two different lymes related treatments because he has had it twice before and recently I pulled two ticks off of him.

He does eat his treats and cheese, but I don't want to spoil him with table food. I was thinking he will eat when he is hungry, but after searching the net and reading about things like histocytoma and other problems I am getting worried.

Should I start to give him hamburger and rice? Should I give the lymes treatments some time to work? Any help or info greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Keith:sad:
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Swift Tribe

do you think he just doesnt like his food?? what are you feeding him?? you could try feeding him homemade foods, i wouldnt wait for the treatment to find foods he will eat though. all creatures, big and small, need food.

try feeding him some lightly cooked ground beef or chicken without the bones, some rice and some peas and some crushed egg shell. so a cup of ground beef/chicken, 1/4 cup of rice, few table spoons of peas and a shell or two crushed up. thats by no means a complete diet but it will get some nutrition into him!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:18 AM

Thanks,
He normally gets Nutro large breed dry with half a can of Merrick pot pie or puppy plate with some Parmasean cheese on top.

I put an egg in it with some american cheese slices on top this morning, but he just ate the cheese off the top. I hope he just doesn't like his food, but I want to be carefull about completely spoiling him.

I will probably leave work early today and try making him some hamburger and rice, Why the crushed egg shells? never heard that before.

Thanks for the help
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Swift Tribe

calcium!!

the lyme treatment is antibiotics right?? there are several really great probotics for dogs (and some human ones are ok to give too... never done it myself though, talk to other members or your vet???) or you can also give him a tablespoon of plain yogurt daily.

the egg you added, was it raw or cooked?? some dogs dont like the raw texture. mine doesnt unless i mix it in with something else. otherwise its a great source of protein.

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:51 AM

It was raw egg he usually likes it, I will try the yogurt tonight.

I m hoping he is just being stubborn, so I will try the hamburger and rice tonight.
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I don't know anything about the Lyme's issue - but I do know my dog never liked eating Nutro. He always needed to be coaxed to eat and always seemed to take in the bare minimum of what he needed. A recent switch to Canidae showed me how he should have been eating - He LOVES his food now and eats right away. I'd consider making a switch - www.dogfoodanalysis.com helped me make a decision about new food. Good luck!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Senior Contributor - Expert

While he may just need time for the lyme medication to 'kick in', assuming that it is lyme disease, any nutrition you can coax him into eating will help his immune system.

I love the idea of probiotics. Yogurt however does not work in dogs as their normal intestinal flora is a bit different from ours. Most pet stores and now many health food stores, will have dog specific probiotics.

A long acting injection of Vitamin B12 or B Complex may also be a safe easy way to help stimulate appetite.

Other methods to enhance appetite: warm low sodium chicken broth, warming the food, canned food and also oregano. Oregano (dried spice) is a safe appetite stimulant in dogs - just be careful as some spices, like garlic or onion powder, are toxic in dogs. But oregano can make them happy!
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:43 AM

Thanks to all,
Last night I made PJ a big bowl of rice and hamburger and he licked it clean, he seems to be coming back to his old self. I will look into ditching the Neutro he dodesn't seem to happy with it. The oregano is an interesting idea, a little spice is nice.

I hope it was just the lymes again and all will be well.

Last edited by oufly2; May 28th, 2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:30 AM

Case Mom thanks so much for that link, found some canida sellers right near work so I will try some new food for PJ tonight. He may be picky but he is worth it.

Just got a mailbox from
www.dogmailboxes.com

Sent pictures and she made a Bernese mailbox just like PJ freckles and all. Really nice lady, very artistic check it out!
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

LOL - those are cute! You may want to start a new post for that link so more people will see it
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Good idea,

Just bought a bag of the 6 star rated innuva EVO, looks like good stuff, not cheap will have to see how he likes it. Wife just said he ate all his food today so he must be feeling better. Must have been the lymes that made him not eat.

Thanks again everyone!