Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 25th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

No More Biking

No biking for a while anyway, poor Spencer sliced his foot and is now limping on it. When we got back tonight he was fine so I washed the car. When I was done washing the car, I noticed that he was limping, I took a look at it and sure enough, he has a pretty big cut on the big pad on his back left paw. In we came and soaked his foot in some epsom salts to clean it all up and then I put some Penaten on it and bandaged it up. I only want to keep it on until morning just to help make sure it stays clean when he goes out tonight and to help keep the cream on it for a bit. What do you know, as soon as he was all bandaged up, he started running around the house like a moron. I now have him leashed to me and am making him rest it. I don't get it, he always cuts his feet and Sydney never does. It's probably because he is always trying to pull and she just runs or walks along side me.

So anyway, that was our excitement for tonight.
Old May 25th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Awe, poor Spencer :sad: I hope you are feeling better in no time.

Maybe regular treatment with paw protector might help - keep those pads a little more soft and supple, able to take a bit of roughness?
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Well, I had to bandage him back up today, he was still really sore when I unwrapped it this morning. I cleaned it with a warm cloth as well as I could and used Poly Sporin today. The cut is not deep enough to require stitches (1-2 mm) but deep enough to definitely get infected if not kept clean. Luckily, he is used to wearing boots from the winter so he doesn't seem to mind it being wrapped at all. As soon as I have it done, he tries running around like there is nothing wrong with him at all. If he seems to be fussing with it too much and it looks like it is bothering him, we will be off to the vet to have it looked at (which will likely have to involve sedating him, he doesn't like to be held in one spot and when it involves something that is hurting him like that, I can't imagine that it will go over too well). Here's hoping that I can get it to heal on it's own.
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Slow to heal and hard to bandage...don't you just hate pad injuries?

that it heals clean without infection.

otter's suggestion was a good one--we've used pad conditioners in the past with success. When used regularly, they make the pads more supple and leathery which helps them resist cuts and abrasions. Maybe that's all Spencer needs to keep his feet in good walking condition

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:37 AM
banned user

You can get doggie shoes for him that will protect his feet, so you can still enjoy your biking. You will have to let him wear them around the house so he can get used to them before bringing him outside with them. We have them from wal mart but they arent used very often, but maybe you can find them at petsmart or wal mart!
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:44 AM

We do have boots, we use them all winter and when he used to go in the old car on the leather. They would never hold up, we bike over 5km per night, the way he pulls, he would tear them to bits. I think what I am going to have to do is bike with them seperately. Spencer can go at a much faster pace than Sydney so I am forced to go slower so I don't drag her along. If I can go at a pace that keeps up to him, I don't think that we will have this problem as much. Right now, Spencer's feet are like baby feet, he wore boots all winter so they are probably a lot more tender and not stiffened up like they get by fall.
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

My feet are tender in spring, too, from winter boots. I can really empathize with poor Spencer!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:41 AM
-

ahhh poor Spencer :sad: I hate paw injuries too , when Sam lost his whole nail last year , there was blood EVERYWHERE

Speedy recovery Spencer !
Old May 26th, 2008, 02:42 PM
-

Poor Spencer .....I hope he heals quickly.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:44 PM

Well, Spencer managed to get his bandage off today and ate a chunk off of his foot (I assume the flap of skin that had been there. It looks prety bad now but is clean, not swollen or anything and no stitches can be put on it so I soaked it again with the epsom salts and wrapped it up again. Sure enough, when I wasn't looking, he managed to eat the bandage off again. So again, we put more bag balm (sp?) and wrapped it again and he has been leashed to me all night. I am taking off tomorrow so hopefully a full day of rest will help it heal better.

Here are some pics of it. WARNING!!! Pictures of cut foot below!!

Old May 27th, 2008, 07:48 PM
banned user

Aww , poor puppy dog! It looks painful, but not to to bad! ( hehe thanks for the warning!)
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:50 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMum View Post
WARNING!!! Pictures of cut foot below!!

sorry about that

Poor Spencer , paw injuries take so much time to heal
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:01 PM

I think it will start to heal once I can let it dry out but he just tries to chew at it way too much and it is very raw looking. He usually does well with his foot wrapped so I am hoping that if he completely stays off of it tomorrow, he will start to feel a bit better.

I figured the warning was needed, some people tend to not like to look at things like that.
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMum View Post
I figured the warning was needed, some people tend to not like to look at things like that.
only one person the rest of us are used to stuff like this ....

The worse case scenario , you could put the cone on him
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:26 PM

LOL, ya. Just better to warn then have someone get mad at you.

I have thought about the cone, we just might have to go out and get one tomorrow night for him. Poor guy, I hate using a cone.
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:28 PM
-

I hate the cone too , they always seem to follow you so close and bumping it behind your knees .... over an over again

But if they sit right beside the TV , sometimes you can get more channels
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:29 PM

They always look so depressed when they wear a cone, if I can avoid it, I will try to but I don't know how I can go to work knowing he can chew his foot apart.