Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM
chronically insane.

I think I'll call them tomorrow. It's 5:30 now so I think they close at 4 or 5 on Sundays. She is not bleeding or having any other issues, she just has her boobies and belly swollen and it is making her a bit uncomfortable. She is sleeping, eating and drinking water properly. She's confused on the litter box so she's been peeing on the towel we gave her so we've been changing the towel after it starts to stink and giving her a fresh one.

I can't remember what I gave Socks when this happened to her but it was some antibiotic that just made the swelling go down.

Her nipples are sticking out though as if she were nursing but there were no kittens. We are sure of that we think they were born stillborn or died or just flat out never existed. Like a phantom pregnancy.

She's not happy being locked up but she's not distressed or freaking out or anything. Mostly is just like giving dirty looks like let me outta here! No biting, hissing or growling though. She's being a pretty good girl.

I can try to get a picture of her belly but it's doubtful. I only have a camera phone and you might not get very much detail out of it.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:10 PM

Definately do not give her the pain meds, unless you have spoken w/the vet who did the spay. Is there a emergency clinic in your area you can call to ask advice?

Neither of my girls had any swelling or pain meds after spaying

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:08 PM
chronically insane.

Here's a pic

NOTE: NOT AS BAD AS IT LOOKS. Only have a 2 mpx camera phone. Lighting was poor. It's not as red or purple as it looks. It's just swollen. It's going down though.

Mom thinks she'll be fine but I'd like for nothing bad to happen to poor kitteh =[

She's eating, sleeping and pooping and acting normal but just kinda bored. She figured out how to use the litterbox sorta today! She had been going on the towels we were giving her before.

Old May 19th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you been able to contact the clinic?

It does look bad, but not terrible. If the swelling is going down I imagine that's a good sign. Can you toss a little toy in there? Something she can bat with her paws to keep her from getting too bored?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I think if she is eating pooping and not appearing in pain and the swelling is going down just keep her resting. She looks like she has been an outdoor girl...I think the longest possible rest you can give her before she is returned outdoors is the best medicine. After all her stitches need to heal from the inside as well. You are so wonderful in helping her out? I guess she cant stay since you have so many? Have you given this little sweetheart a name? or maybe I missed it! Lots of tlc and rest and she will never have to worry about babies again!!!

Your an Angel!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:00 PM
chronically insane.

Okay I was hoping for it looks bad but not horrible or terrible.

I'm trying my best to amuse her. I've been letting her sleep but I have a ton of toys so I can just let her borrow one of my cats many many toys.

The outside cats are welcome in when it's bad weather once they are fixed + shots. That's how I ended up adopting Buddy.

I think I'll make my mother call someone when she gets done work to see what to do.

She's still got the litterbox down! She got litter stuck to her feet and so I reached in there and cleaned her up the best I could. She got all mad but didn't bite, just got up and walked to the back of the cage to ignore me.

Old May 19th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I think that's a good sign, that she's using the litter box. I hope you can convince your mom to let you keep her.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old May 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Kathryn,you are simply wonderful for helping this little girl out,hopefully the swelling is not bad news.
I only had a girlkitty once,the rest were only boys,neutering is so much simpler.
It's a good sign she's eating and using the litterbox,
Give your mom a big hug,tell her how wonderful she is to let you bring all these kitties inside and help them.
How is our little Tri-Pod doing??
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:06 PM
chronically insane.

We let her go today because she was getting antsy and the swelling went down alot more and she didn't look inflamed at all. She's doing fine I haven't seen her yet today because she is probably mad. Plus is just started to rain so I doubt she'll be back for dinner.

Old May 21st, 2008, 11:25 PM

Did they use dissolving stitches? Or are you gonna hafta catch her again for removal?

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:52 PM
chronically insane.

They use dissolvable ones at the clinics. They said expect them to be gone within a few weeks, 3 months tops.

Did I mention I got her ear tipped too?

She's all good to go. Hope to see her by the end of the week. She's probably pissed off at us for dragging her all over the place and keeping he from going outside >_< She'll get over it though I guess, I hear they all do (strays/ferals)

Old May 21st, 2008, 11:56 PM

Tipped You mean tattooed?

Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:07 AM
chronically insane.

http://alleycat.org/pdf/eartipping.pdf

No, tipped, Just incase. She's all beaten up and is nice to me, but if she was ever picked up by animal control they would know right away that shes fixed and taken care of and not some crazy rabid cat or something.

Like I said, shes really beaten up and just a total alley cat. I am taking as best care of her and just want to insure that if she ever did end up getting picked up they'd know she was taken care of and nothing bad would happen to her.. The shelter that takes strays is extremely low kill, but still not no kill....

I won't be getting this done for Three Legged Missy though because she is in good shape and friendly and I wouldn't worry about her at the shelter for a second.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:21 AM

hmm I didn't know about that - thanks for the info

I can see how that would be an easier way to tell just by looking @ the cat & not having to re-trap.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor

I've never heard of that either,but it's a great idea
I am glad she's feeling better,she might stay away for a couple of days,beeing miffed at you,but hunger will surely bring her back.
She's ok..
Glad to hear Missy is ok too/
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:48 AM

This is my first time reading this post, and I'm am blown away by the care you have given all your kitties, especially this one! She is very cute, by the way.

I would say call the vet that spayed her before giving her any medication. I've spayed/neutered all my cats, and have never given them anything for the pain. Cats deal with their pain quite well, and I would feel uneasy about giving her something that was prescribed for something else...

Also, from what I hear, this hasn't happened to me, but lots of cats put on weight after they are spayed, or sometimes the scar tissue from the surgery gets engorged, but I thi8nk it's too early for any of that.

Good luck, and we all think you're amazing for doing so much for all your cats!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
chronically insane.

Still haven't seen her back but the lawn care people were hear today, then it was raining, so everyones hiding still.

Also, while I'm here, one of my other strays named Tigger got trapped and sent to the shelter back in March, but my neighbor was attached to him and readopted him back. He was sick with some infections so he had to stay at the shelter for a couple weeks to get the proper care. Then they neutered him. He's been back for a little over a week.

Thing is one of the cats (Jack and Buddys mom) is in heat and we couldn't catch her in time and my OTHER neighbors cat was roaming and caught her. But everyone is still up her butt, including Tigger. He keeps getting on top of her and stuff, but when he came over to me for me to pet him I yanked up his tail and it LOOKS like he's neutered, but I actually can't tell for once.

Any idea what this could mean? The shelter never ever adopts out without fixing them first

Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe he got neutered as an adult and he's just doing something he remembers

Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Kathryn,I could be wrong,but I believe a neutered cat will still try to mount a female in heat.
He does not know that he is missing a vital ingredient.

I know Rocky sometimes gets in the"mood"and tries to mount Chicobut Chico will have non of it.
Kudos to your neighbor for saving Tigger
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
chronically insane.

He's being such a goof. I can pet him, then he gets all weirded out and walks away from me and stuff. I think he's just all excited to be back home from the shelter and is making up for lost time.

Also, I saw Momma cat today and didn't get to go near her because shes mad at me, but she was eating and ran away from me just fine. Her belly wasn't hanging or anything so that looks like a good sign.

Question: I don't feel like making another board.

The cat Tigger I am talking about has crossed eyes. Is there any explanation for this? He's ALWAYS been like that and its not related to the infection he had because he's all better now. His pupils are not in the middle, but towards the inside of his eyesocket and up towards the top, as if he was looking up at his forehead.

Last edited by kathryn; May 23rd, 2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: semi-related question
Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Kathryn,maybe he is a Siamese mix,two of my friends Siamese are crosseyed,it looks really cute though
Old May 24th, 2008, 02:35 AM

Sounds like Tigger may have Siamese or a related breed mixed in his background. The crossed eyes apparently do not affect their vision very much, if at all, same with people who have slightly crossed eyes their vision can be fine or one eye compensates for the other.

Old May 24th, 2008, 05:16 PM
chronically insane.

Mhkay. He's a mix of all kind of breeds. Anythings possible and he sees fine. I used to wonder if he was able to see okay so I would wave my finger around infront of his face and he would move his eyes to follow it, then I'd poke him in the nose and he'd sort of look down to see it.

Oh and the Momma is doing fine I've been seeing her around and petting her. She has saggy cat-boobs for whatever reason but otherwise no swelling and her skin is back to a normal color. I was petting her and fed her wet food so atleast she's not that mad anymore.

Old May 24th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Kathryn,that's great,I am sure she'll be fine and most important of all,no more unwanted kittens
I was wondering,you are so young,what brought this love for cats on in you,the feeling of wanting to help so many unfortunate kitties?
Was it something you learned from your mom?
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:34 AM
chronically insane.

Well my mom always let me have lots of pets and stuff... but it was mostly because I am home during the day I would just see these cats and they were so cute so I'd be nice to them and try to help them. Some of my neighbors are idiots and complain about the cats, but its not like its the cats fault they are out there, so I figured I should just help them out since most people are just mean to them.

Old May 25th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Senior Contributor

If more people would take the same attitude, that it's not the cat/dogs fault they have no home, then maybe there wouldn't be so many in need of homes.

Of course if the owners would have done the right thing and had their pets spayed it would be a different matter. But that's another story.

I commend you for doing as much as you do to help these cats.

Old May 25th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Well Kathryn,your mom must be a great lady and you are a wonderful young girl for doing what you do for all these unfortunate kitties.
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:05 PM

wow, kathryn, u blow me away! i haven't logged in to the forum since '05 when i needed help with a feral litter that fell into my lap (translation: the floorboard of my car). the advice u were given was better than i could have given. the forum comes through again! i'm amazed by your compassion and perseverance - i wish there were more people out there that cared and followed through as u have done! u are awesome.
Miao & Doncat :queen:
and last but not least, Mr T & Squirt. the turtles. :king: