Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 10th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

A little concerned with this months weigh in

I took the gang in to get weighed.

Vlad is holding steady at 18 pounds and Oksana is up one ounce to 10.1. Kiska has gained another pound.

I was a little concerned about Maks. The last time he weighed in at 8 pounds 2 ounces. That was on 3/22. Today he was at 8 pounds 15 ounces. Should I be concerned? I asked the girl at the front counter, who is always really helpful, if that was normal. She said sometimes as they are still kittens they get to a stable period where they don't gain much weight. Maks is really thin, I can see his little hip bones. But he's also a long kitty. I know I shouldn't gauge his growth by Kiska's because kitties are all so different.

I asked if maybe they could heck him for any worms or parasites. Since I have noticed he eats a lot!! His test came back negative which was great. It was also nice they didn't charge me. Maks is a very active little guy. When he's not napping he's jumping and running around, so that makes me think he's healthy because if he wasn't okay he wouldn't be acting like that.

I don't want to feed him extra food, because he already gets a good amount of food, plus he takes a few nibbles from everyone else's plate when they are done. But his weight is concerning me.

Could his mommy or daddy have just been a big long thin kitty and he's taking after them?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:51 PM
-

I wouldn't be concerned......he is still young and has to fill out yet. My siamese x was long and lanky until he was almost three years old.
Old May 10th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Rainbow. I just see the others, who are more stocky and filled out and then I see him, so skinny.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old May 10th, 2008, 02:10 PM
-

As long as he's healthy, and you definitely make sure of that .....he will be okay.
Old May 10th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you! I feel a lot better. I just have to realize he's going to maybe have a different body style than the others.

Old May 10th, 2008, 02:20 PM
-

Yep....and a totally adorable expressive face.
Old May 10th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Senior Contributor

He's going to get a big head if I tell him all the compliments he gets! Then again, he's too sweet.

Old May 10th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Ancient,just like people cats are all different,when Rocky was 17lb's he was not overweight at all,he is a big boy(was before his Thyroidproblem),his paws are twice the size of the other 2,a big boned beautiful kitty.
Now Vinnie,at almost 18lb's is definetly overweight,but we are working on it.
Chico is 16lb's and as slim and sleek as a panther.
So,don't worry about Maks,I am sure he's fine,just very energetic..
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm starting to realize cats come in all shapes and sizes.

Maks has some huge paws, I'm guessing once he stops growing, he might be as big as Vlad, except a little more lean looking.

Old May 10th, 2008, 07:42 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Maks looks like he has the same body type as some of mine. Very sleek and long. One of mine is a pacer, don't think she will ever be big. Mylee and Kylee will always be small. So is their mom. Then I have Ms Atty and Spazzy who I will have to try to put on diets (like that will work) because they are going to be huge! And then there are the rest who seem to be maintaining their weight. But they still are only from 8 months to a year. There's a lot of growing left to do. Maks will be just fine.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Maks is going to be 9 months on a few days, and he does have a little more growing to do. I do think he will be a big boy, but he looks like he will be thinner than the others. But who knows with this bunch.

Old May 10th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Bunduk is over a year old and still growing. I know he looks floofy but under that you can feel each individual ribs and his hip bones jut out. I had the same concerns u have, in terms of parasites cuz the guy eats like a horse. I free feed kinda (I stop at a certain amount, but they dont usually eat it anyway) and Bunduk as he is a beggar/thief gets a lot of human food freebies like yoghurt, cheese,chicken, even drinks oil if he can (when mom is cooking) but still he is as skinny as can be.

I wouldnt worry about it because they are still growing. Bunduk is still getting longer and longer and his paws are actually bigger than Onnie's. Theyre just going thru their tall teenage lanky stage I think .
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Maks is like a vacuum cleaner! I had bought some small sample packages of raw medallions, and the only one that will eat them is Maks! That right there tells me he'll try anything. I was mainly worried too because I see Kiska filling out a little more than him. She's small, but she seems to be gaining weight steadily, like Vlad and Oksana. Maks is probably just like those lucky people who can eat anything and not gain weight.