Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 9th, 2008, 03:57 PM

Question need help with new puppy!

Ok I need some help with my 8 month old puppy I adopted a week ago.
theres quite a few things that i would like help with..

1.How do I stop her begging for food?
Now she eats a lot for an 8 month old . I will fill her bowl while we eat and within a matter of 2-3 minutes it's gone and she comes to us whinning for our food. How do I stop that?

2.How do I stop her from jumping at ppl and us . This is dangerous for us and even her as she can get hurt if one of us trips on her. It's mostly when I walk she will follow me and jumping at my legs..

3.The playfull nipping with me and my kids that starts out with soft play but then she get excited and begins to bite harder..So how do i stop her from that?
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

First you can put large rocks in the food bowl and this will slow down the eating. Take the dog out of the room while you are eating or make the pup lie down away from the table. Ignore the whining do not give anything to the dog especially while you are eating
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:14 PM

Here are some suggestions

Here is what I do. Everytime she does something you don't want her to do push down on her nose and tell her NO and the say what you don't want her to do. in a stern voice. See thats what thier moms do and they can relate to that. It has worked for me. But everyone in the house has to be on the same page. Consistancy is the key factor.
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

For the begging, teach her how to do a stay, for this case a Down Stay is easiest. Have a bed that she goes to and teach her to stay on the bed while you eat. When we used to have guests over actually, the dogs were crated when we ate. They were still in the same room as us and could see us but could not beg. Now, we can just say "Go Lie Down" and they get the point and go off to play somewhere.

I have found that for the jumping, when people come over, I leash the dogs and stand on the leash so that they can not jump up on them, they soon learn that when they are sitting and calm, people will pet them. I have also taken them into a completely different room until they calm down enough. Also, if she is trying to jump on you, you can pivot away from her so that she falls off of you, at the same time, cue her to "Off". I know that there are also harnesses you can buy to help for the jumping but I have never tried one so I can not really recommend it.

And for the nipping, when she does that, yelp really high pitch and loud, that is what her mom would do and they often react positively to that. You will likely see that she will start to lick you when you do this. When my friend was traiing her pup, she was told to put her hand in/near the dogs mouth, when she nipped, yelp and walk away. Then do it again and again (I think it was 5 times in a row). By the 3rd time, when she would try it, the pup would turn her head. They start to learn that when they nip, you walk away.

Good luck!!
Old May 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Thank you for you good advice, I will try that with her. My 6 year old daughter on the other hand will be fun to teach her not to let the puppy bite her hands.. But we will try

thank you again
Old May 9th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Kitty pimp

lol well in comparisom to a 6 yr old a puppy is a walk in the park

remeber your the alpha and she will follow what you do If this is your first dog i would sugest you and all sign uoof ro some obidience classes
around here at least I can find free ones at the petstores
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess2002 View Post
Ok I need some help with my 8 month old puppy I adopted a week ago.
theres quite a few things that i would like help with..

1.How do I stop her begging for food?
Now she eats a lot for an 8 month old . I will fill her bowl while we eat and within a matter of 2-3 minutes it's gone and she comes to us whinning for our food. How do I stop that?

2.How do I stop her from jumping at ppl and us . This is dangerous for us and even her as she can get hurt if one of us trips on her. It's mostly when I walk she will follow me and jumping at my legs..

3.The playfull nipping with me and my kids that starts out with soft play but then she get excited and begins to bite harder..So how do i stop her from that?
Have you enrolled in obedience school yet? I would highly recommend it.
Old May 10th, 2008, 06:05 AM

I have owned dogs most of my life but never a dog like this one .She is soooo hyper and full of energy just like my 6 year old daughter .lol I mostly got them when they where at the age of 8 weeks old.I would love to have her take obedience classes but I have no clue if we have any around my area.I live in a small town 30 miles from Edmundston NB .I moved here last year from Ontario due to my parents health and this is the only place that has a pet store, they only sell food, toys and a few cats and dogsand one vetenarian clinic..Nothing like Ontario I tell ya where there you have PetSmart and other little pet stores and vets coming out of your wazzoooo..lol
SO i guess this is the Jack Russell in her well that's what I think she might be she's a mix Shih Tzu/??

Old May 10th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Look at that face what a cutie.
Old May 10th, 2008, 02:04 PM
-

I think she looks JRT/Pappillon....definitely a cutie.

You should ask at your vet's office and/or pet store of any obedience trainers in your area......I'm sure they would know.