Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 30th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Sammi

Unhappy Euthanising Miss Gray (aka Macy)

Please excuse me if I haven't posted this in the right place, I'm not thinking the clearest at the moment..........

We will be euthanising Miss Gray tonight As some of you know, she's been in the 1st stages of renal failure and has been receiving supportive care (SQ fliuds, etc) for sometime. She is 19-20yrs.

2 weeks ago, she presented with symptoms of a UTI with blood tinged urine. We put her on the usual Clavamox for 2 weeks for the UTI and took an x-ray to make sure there were no bladder stones. The x-ray only showed a slight thickening of the bladder wall. She seemed to respond well to the antibiotics and anti imflammatory......

Wednesday (yesterday), she started to strain in the litter box and vomit. On investigating the box, I noticed blood clots, dime sized. That day, we ultrasounded her bladder, confirming my worst fears...............she has a tumor.
Also in the two weeks between the vet exams, she developed a huge heart arrhythmia, leaving her open to throwing a clot and going into respiratory distress.

My biggest fear is being out and Miss Gray going into heart failure etc and I'm not there to help her.
I don't want her suffering, so an I.V catheter was placed yesterday. I feel guilty for euthanising her, as she is eating well and acting normal. But I know that cats are very good at hiding distress and pain and the fact that she's passing blood clots due to a bladder tumor is enougth for me to believe that she is in distress. Coupled with her other health issuses, I'd rather let her leave now, than waiting until she is in "full shut down".

I am crying like a child right now and feel as if my heart is being torn from my chest. I was always a "dog person" without much love of cats, until the day that I rescued Miss Gray.
She was my first cat and has taught me alot over the last 10 years. Especially that cats are fantastic critters. She is going to be truly missed. Leaving behind her 3 dogs, 4 other cats (she mothered both the cats and dogs when they 1st came into the house) and her Budgie Ronnie.
Old September 30th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so very sorry. I know very well how painful this is, but you don't want your sweet girlie to suffer.
Old September 30th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Senior Contributor

My deepest sympathies I know how hard a decision it is. Just remember you are doing out of love for your baby. Animals are very good at putting on the brave front. Always know that she will be watching over you and you will never forget her and love her for showing you how to love her and others
Old September 30th, 2004, 03:03 PM

you are doing the right thing, althought it's a very hard decision. I'm sure your kitty will be grateful if you rescue her one more last time and end her suffering now...
be strong, we all support you <<hug>>
Old September 30th, 2004, 08:17 PM
~Cat Servent~

(Crying too)
I know that I will be inconsolable when it comes that time for my kitties...and I can't think of a word to comfort you.
So here is a {{{HUG}}} and a prayer for her safe journey...
Old October 1st, 2004, 12:37 AM
banned user

I'm sooo sorry....
Old October 1st, 2004, 12:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I too want to give you my sympathies and a {{{{HUG}}}}. This is what we all dread, but know is a last gift to our furbabies.
Old October 1st, 2004, 02:47 PM

I just wanted to tell you that i'm truly sorry for your loss. I will pray for your little baby, I'm sure she's somewhere better now.
Old October 1st, 2004, 03:28 PM

(((((Hugss))))))))) I'm so sorry that you are going through this.
Old October 1st, 2004, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I know what a wonderful animal-lover you are and how very heart-wrenching it is to make that final descicion,most of us have had to end the lives of animals we love.....but we do it out of love,when there is no more help.
Miss Gray will be ok,she was one lucky kitty to grow old with you....and for you,just lots and lots of hugs
Old October 1st, 2004, 05:49 PM

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. You are able to make the decision for your pet/friend that she cannot make for herself, to prevent further suffering. It is so difficult and heart-wrenching to have to do. I will say a prayer for both of you. You made the right decision, but the loss is still there. Chief Seattle said, "There is no death, just a change of worlds". She is forever free of pain now.
Old October 11th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Sammi

Thankyou soooo much to everyone and their kind words. Thankyou for the private messages. I am overwhelmed by the support and help. It really does help make a hard moment in life seem alittle easier to handle. It shows that Pets.ca people can fill the screen with love, you guys are beautiful.

We buried her under our big Maple tree, that overlooks the river. It's beautiful there, especially this time of year. A bench has been placed there aswell, and I will be planting some bulbs, so that she/we have flowers in all seasons. The geese are gathering on the river, getting ready to migrate. It's a wonderful spot to reflect.

Thankyou again to everyone.
Old October 11th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I think that's beautiful. I know you'll understand when I tell you that our Den-Den #3 is buried in our backyard and we also have a little bench. When I brought our present Den-Den home as a puppy, the first thing I did was to take him out to that bench and sat and introduced him. I know Den-Den 3 was happy for me and contributed to the bond that developed with our new baby! It's nice to have a private spot to go to. Hope to share again with you soon some happier times.
Old October 11th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

SSAC,Very fitting final resting-place for Miss Gray and I am glad we could be of some comfort to you.
I have 4 cats buried between flowering bushes in my backyard,I found much comfort from knowing they would be in the backyard they knew and loved.
I even have the odd conversation with them at times