Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 11th, 2004, 08:07 AM

Question regarding Spaying Fess-Small Dog

Hello,
I have a miniature pincher who needs to be spayed. I was told that I would have to bring her in for blood work the night before and then back for the spay and the spay would cost approximately $500.00 due to her being around 7-8lbs in weight. I would like someone to confirm that this is an accurate price as I have been told by other pet owners this is too much money. I am seeking a veterinarian in the Oshawa or Whitby area, if anyone can suggest a Vet or could tell me what is the normal fee, I would really appreciate it as I do not have $500.00 right now and don't want her to go into heat.
Thank you.
Old October 11th, 2004, 08:34 AM

Hi Dinah,
I'm not sure if I am allowed to post the Vet's name as he is a good vet and don't want to bring him down, however, if you want to know privately, you may email me at my hotmail address at provochris@hotmail.com.
If you have any suggestions as to where I can bring her, that would be great.
Thanks
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

500$ for an 8lb dog?? That's a price I would expect for an 80lb dog, since it goes according to weight.

I know the pre-surgery blood test is costly, but does your dog have any problems that would make spaying difficult? Is she in heat, elderly or pregnant etc?

I just had an 8 lb cat spayed, and it was under 100$.
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Proud dog mommy!

Yikes! That is quite expensive for a dog of that size. Could your vet have misunderstood and thought you said Doberman Pinscher? My friend had her 24lb dog spayed and it only cost a little over $220. She had just finished her heat cycle, so the surgery took a little longer. I would check with the vet again to be sure that's the correct price and if it is, start calling other vets.
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:51 AM

Lucky Rescue, no my dog is in perfect health. In fact the vet has been seeing her since I first purchased her at 6-8 weeks old. He had taken blood work in the past for her first check up to make sure she was fine. She has had all regular checkup and vaccines with him. He states that due to her fragility (size) more care with the anesthetic would be needed which is why the higher cost. The blood work the day before surgery he states is a normal procedure with any spay. As I mentioned in my post, I questioned the costs as I too have cats and a jack russel terrier and never paid a fee like that nor did I have to get blood work done, but I have sinced moved and do not know any other veterinarians to try other than this current one.
Old October 11th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Senior Contributor

I suggest you call around to other vets to get opinions and prices.

I don't know why a healthy young dog would need special anesthetic (probably Isoflurane) since that is normally used for very frail, old, or ill animals, or for exotics like small rodents and birds who cannot tolerate regular halothane.

We get 2-lb kittens spayed with regular anesthetic and no big price tag!

I agree more care is needed for tiny patients, but $500 still seems outrageous to me. You might want to ask just exactly what is it they must do to justify that cost.

Here is an organization that may be able to direct you to a low cost clinic.

I don't know anything about them, but it's worth a try!

Animal Crusaders of Ontario
Toronto, Ontario
Phone: (416) 438-4636
Email: jmhealy@sympatico.ca