Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 23rd, 2004, 08:21 PM

Dog eating grass

One of my Weimaraners (Wil) wants to eat grass all the time. He made himself sick 2 days ago, just a little bit and his tummy makes a funny sound. He didn't want to eat his biscuits this morning and I had to give him weetabix with natural yoghurt, which he ate no problem.
He is still very happy and enjoys his walks and wants to play a lot.
His worming is up to date and his yearly booster etc.
I phoned the vet and he said it doesn't sound too serious as he has no diarrhea or vomiting. But when he does poo we have to pull out long pieces of grass from his backside as it gets stuck and he just stands there looking at us.
Why do dogs like to eat grass? He has always eaten it but not as much as yesterday and this morning. The vet said it doesn't really do them any harm. They are fed on Hills Science diet so all the vitamins, minerals etc should be enough.
Any suggestions or info would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old September 23rd, 2004, 09:04 PM
banned user

Dog Eating Grass

Hi There

Dogs eat grass for a number of reasons..most of them we dont understand yet and probably never wil...It may be because your dog likes the taste,,or to help settle an upset tummy..or just because its there and has become a habit.

My golden use to eat grass any chance he got..I swear he was a cow in another life..but he had to eat particular blades..he would search for a good 10 mins before he found a certain type of grass to eat..usually crab grass

It never made him sick and he ate LOTS o it..as long as the dog isnt eating grass that you suspect may be treated with chemicals or pesticides..then I think its OK

I make sure to NEVER use chemicals or pesticides on my lawn or my gardens..as its much easier to look at a brown lawn..then a sick animal
Old October 10th, 2004, 10:29 AM

My dog eats grass occasionally and everytime he does, he vomits within a minute or 2. It seems that he eats it intentionally because he has an upset stomach and he knows to eat the grass to make himself get sick. He always seems perfectly fine afterwards. (Doggie version of finger down throat!?)