Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:10 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
8 years old is not an old cat and not too old to get spayed and I don't understand why you wouldn't get a female cat spayed anyway. Saves them from going into heat which will make her a whole lot happier.
Small price to pay to get her fixed so you can get a puppy from a shelter instead of purpetuating the problem by getting one from a mill or a byb.
IMO knowing that getting a puppy from questionable sources is wrong and doing it anyway simply because you don't want to get your female cat spayed is pretty lame.

Cindy
Well said clm!. I would like to add, that spaying your cat is healthier for her. I had a foster cat in heat and I don't think she was happy at all during it. I ended up keeping her and she is sooooooo much happier as a spayed, just loving life kitty.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake1 View Post
I have read this thread and i totally understand where everyone is coming from about not getting dogs that are not from puppy mills and to get ones from the shelter or rescue.. I tried to get one from the rescue in my local town, but was denied because one of my 3 cats is not fixed. she is a female who i have had for 8yrs with no problems, she has never had a litter, never and I mean never goes outside, she is actually scared outside. I know i should of got her fixed when she was younger, but i never got around to it. so now because I am not able to get one from a rescue, which I would love to do, I will have to either see if my family and friends knows anyone that has puppies or go through the paper. SO I am wondering am I bad person because I am doing this. And before you ask, no I am not getting my cat fixed. I don't feel that I should have to. and yes if i did get a dog I would get it fixed as they are outside and I woudn't want to have any puppies.
I can't believe that you've put your cat through 8 years of heat cycles? Do you like watching her suffer? Because I'm sure you have to realize it isn't a pleasant experience for her to go through. What bothers me is your "I don't feel that I should have to" attitude.

Do the research. Your cat will be happier and healthier when she is spayed. Any animal regardless of being indoor or outdoor should be S/N.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I can't believe that you've put your cat through 8 years of heat cycles? Do you like watching her suffer? Because I'm sure you have to realize it isn't a pleasant experience for her to go through. What bothers me is your "I don't feel that I should have to" attitude.

Do the research. Your cat will be happier and healthier when she is spayed. Any animal regardless of being indoor or outdoor should be S/N.
Actually from what I read, the older that cat is, the longer they have to be under and the bigger the risk. I am sorry, but I am not taking that risk. I am taking her to the vet on monday for a check up. maybe I will talk to the vet then about it, but at this time I am not getting her down. I think I will talk to a vet, who will actually know what they are doing.
But even if do get her fixed, I have decided not to adopt a dog from the rescue. many people I have talked to understand that if I had a dog that was not fixed, why there would be a no, but she is cat, cat and dogs can't mate, unless i missed something. but that is their decision, this is mine.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
But even if do get her fixed, I have decided not to adopt a dog from the rescue. many people I have talked to understand that if I had a dog that was not fixed, why there would be a no, but she is cat, cat and dogs can't mate, unless i missed something. but that is their decision, this is mine.

The reason the rescue denied you the dog due to your un-spayed cat is because it shows a lack of responsibility on your part, and they don't want to place dogs in homes with irresponsible people.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
The reason the rescue denied you the dog due to your un-spayed cat is because it shows a lack of responsibility on your part, and they don't want to place dogs in homes with irresponsible people.
but it is ok to leave the dog in a foster home where it has been for 2 months with 5 dogs 6 cats a rabbit and birds. oh and where it smells like poop.... the person that is fostering the dog is only fostering one other dog, the rest are theirs and the 6 cats are theirs too not foster.
yes i know I should of done it years ago, but i didn't. i have been responsible with my pets. if there is anything wrong with them, they go to the vet quicky. an irresponsilbe ower would let their pets outside when they are not fixed and not care if they get pregnant. i do care. the boys that i have are both fixed. but i don't know why i keep on responding to the response. it hurts me when you say that I am not a responsilbe pet owner. I love my pets. yes one of cats is not fixed, but she lives a spoiled life.
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
it hurts me when you say that I am not a responsilbe pet owner. I love my pets. yes one of cats is not fixed, but she lives a spoiled life.
Sorry, that did sound harsher than I intended. I have no doubt that you love your pets very much. It’s just that you have to view it from the Rescue’s perspective: they’re front-line in dealing with the consequences of the many irresponsible “owners” out there, so they’re naturally going to be very cautious on this issue. Take my co-worker, for example. Her cat, not even 2 yrs old, is probably pregnant for the second time. I just want to drag her by the hair to the Calgary Humane Society and arrange it so that she has to euthanize a perfectly healthy cat because there’s no more room for it. And it’s not like she’s the only one out there like that, tragically enough.

Is there a Humane Society near you? What if you looked for a dog there? They might not be as paranoid about your situation as a rescue is.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

For rescues who see daily the result of pet owners who don't get their pet fixed, they would consider it irresponsible pet owner. They don't know if you are allowing your kitty to reproduce or not.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:00 PM
-

Quote:
Actually from what I read, the older that cat is, the longer they have to be under and the bigger the risk.
Maybe you should have read the whole thing .... if you get your cat a blood test before the spay and everything is ok , the surgery can be done without risks , and what's this you're saying , cat has to be longer under ? Not true at all !!!! sounds to me like you have really poor excuses , you don't seem to care about the health problems your cat can encounter later.
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:09 PM

thanks!

well i have to say that many of you guys are very rude and very harsh when it comes to answering people's question....... but I wanted to let you know after an night of crying and not being able to eat for a few days because I couldn't in good faith get a dog from a pet store or from a farm when I know ones in shelter/rescues need good homes. I am getting my cat fixed, so I can qualify to adopt a dog from the rescue!!!! I have to say thank you all for your insights. but please remember next time don't be so harsh towards people, I have feelings too. wish my cat luck, she is going in on weds to have the surgery. so next time someone comes on here and talks about their cat or dog not being fixed, yes tell them to get it fixed, but do not be so harsh. thank you for time!

Last edited by snowflake1; April 7th, 2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old April 8th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

That's wonderful news that you're going to get your cat spayed and will now qualify to adopt a dog.
Let us know how your little girl is doing after her surgery and keep us posted on your new doggy addition once you find him or her.

Cindy
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
well i have to say that many of you guys are very rude and very harsh when it comes to answering people's question....... but I wanted to let you know after an night of crying and not being able to eat for a few days because I couldn't in good faith get a dog from a pet store or from a farm when I know ones in shelter/rescues need good homes. I am getting my cat fixed, so I can qualify to adopt a dog from the rescue!!!! I have to say thank you all for your insights. but please remember next time don't be so harsh towards people, I have feelings too. wish my cat luck, she is going in on weds to have the surgery. so next time someone comes on here and talks about their cat or dog not being fixed, yes tell them to get it fixed, but do not be so harsh. thank you for time!
Snowflake, sometimes people are harsh because many of those on this board work in shelters and rescues. They see the reality of owners who don't have their pets spayed and neutered, both in the amount of unwanted animals and in diseases that could have been spared the animal had one simple preventative procedure been done.

Many people come here LOOKING for someone to take on their pets, as they have suddenly become a burden because they pee or poop too much, or they no longer get along with a family member. They might be having a baby and suddenly their pet is just one piece of furniture too many.

They are harsh because they are tired of trying to politely educate people, for the animals sake, only to have the person tell them they don't know their situation, but they know it all too well because they have heard every excuse in the book.

I don't volunteer, I don't believe I'm strong enough for it. I also don't have enough room, since I fear I'd want to bring home every homeless animal I see.

Yes you love your cat, but we all wanted to give you information, and many of those here who have had pets for many many years have been involved in the care of animal and have been through just about every situation imaginable.

Don't take it personally. There is a lot of information here and there are a lot of good people here. You won't find a more caring group of people anywhere else. We don't know your cat, and we haven't seen a picture of her, but I can tell you we all care very much for her.

I hope she does well, and I have no doubt she will do well when she's spayed. I hope you post a picture of her for us, as well as the new pup you are soon to have as an addition to your furry family.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old April 8th, 2008, 11:44 AM

this is my princess. her name is chewie ( chewbacca) i hope she will do ok tomorrow with the surgery.
Attached Images

Old April 8th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

She's got a beautiful face.

Good luck tomorrow, I know she'll do just fine.

Old April 8th, 2008, 06:22 PM
What to say, what to say

Aww, she's beautiful. I'm so glad you got her spayed, many of us have questions about spaying and neutering but if you're not sure about something, just ask. We might sound harsh because(as ancientgirl stated), many people will just not go through with the procedure unless we're hard on them. All of us are trying to help so yay for another kitty being spayed! ^^
Old April 9th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

She's beautiful. I love the name Chewie, too cute. Happy spay day little Chewie!

Cindy
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:24 AM

i just took her to the vet, I am very worried. I know I shouldn't be, I am getting the extra blood work done just to make sure she is healthy, and that everything is ok, but I worry about her too much! I will post later today when I get her home!
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I had all 4 of mine done when they were around 5 to 6 months old and I worried like crazy too, even though I knew it would be a fast operation and they'd be all right. When I went to pick up some special flea stuff this weekend, the girl at the front desk of my vets office told me the operation itself doesn't take more than about 15 minutes, so they really aren't under for a really long period of time.

You love your girl and it's understandable you are going to worry. The blood work is a great idea. I had that done to 3 of mine and will have it done to the last 2 soon, when they are a year old. I think it's a good way of being sure they're healthy.

Please let us know how she's doing later.

Old April 10th, 2008, 12:21 PM

I just wanted to let you all know chewie is ok. she did great and the blood work can back ok!!! she was really stumply last night when she got home, so i slept with her on the floor in my living room so she wouldn't have to go up stairs to sleep with me. The 2 boys and cranky at her, but I figure it is because she smells weird. So far everything is ok. she hasn't pulled any stitches yet.

Last edited by snowflake1; April 10th, 2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I just wanted to let you all know chewie is ok. she did great and the blood work can back ok!!! she was really stumply last night when she got home, so i slept with her on the floor in my living room so she wouldn't have to go up stairs to sleep with me. The 2 boys and cranky at her, but I figure it is because she smells weird. So far everything is ok. she hasn't pulled any stitches yet.
That's just to cute. Happy to hear she is doing well.

Oh, you slept on the floor with your kitty... That's just so sweet.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:48 PM

This might be a little , so sorry.... but....

I got Gizmo (supposedly a pure bred **** tzu) from a friend who got him from a pet store. How can I find out if he came from a puppymill after the fact?

Not that it really matters because it wont make me love him any less, but I was just curious.

(sorry again for taking this a little )

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Kitty pimp

Quote:

yea and tha nks for sleeping on the floor i have done that a few times with sick fuzzbutts I bet chewie is gonna be a lot happier.

alot of the posters here do sound harsh but it is because they see the consequnces of un neuterd pets. But the final choice is always yours to make
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Ann View Post
This might be a little , so sorry.... but....

I got Gizmo (supposedly a pure bred **** tzu) from a friend who got him from a pet store. How can I find out if he came from a puppymill after the fact?

Not that it really matters because it wont make me love him any less, but I was just curious.

(sorry again for taking this a little )
maybe try calling the pet store where gizmo is from and see if they have a record of where it was from. i don't know if that have that kind of info, but you never know

jim......Chewie was very happy that I slept with her last night. I think she was in a little bit of pain and just wanted some cuddles. I must say I am glad that I got her fixed. I wish i did it sooner. next time I know better!
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm so happy to hear Chewie is doing well, and that's great about the blood work. My vet has a program where they do blood work and test for all kinds of stuff, and they do it at a great discount.

Old April 13th, 2008, 04:10 AM

so i went to the humane society today, got the paper work. their main requirements are having all your pets in your house fixed and having a fenced yard.. which I have both. But I am wondering, if who my prev dog died may cause a reason for the adoption getting rejected.. Cain was about 5.5 yrs. the vet said he probably died of a heart attack, but I didn't get an autopsy done so I don't know for sure. I am just going by what the vet said.
DO you thing that the humane society will look at that and think that I am not a good pet parent. He was fine when ever i took him to the vet and running around like crazy up to the minute that he collapsed. Many people have told me that maybe he had a clot that I didn't know about that just dislodged at that moment. I feel like it is my fault and I am afraid the humane society will see it that way. What you guys all think???thank you

Last edited by snowflake1; April 13th, 2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old April 13th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't think they will think you were a bad pet parent because of that. I don't know what breed your last pup was, but I believe I've read some dogs as well as cats are prone to certain illnesses.

Heck, people just up and die from heart attacks, who have never had heart issues, so I think it happens the same with pets.

Old April 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM

cain was a german shepard/black lab. he was a big boy. he was a little over weight when I took him to the vet last june, but we worked on bringing his weight down. the vet last june he just had to lose like 10pounds.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:11 PM

Thumbs down No more puppy mills!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue View Post
Never buy a puppy or kitten at a pet store!

Not sure what a puppy mill is?

No Puppy Mills Canada
We almost bought a puppy at ******* in coquitlam, BC!!! But we decided to find a home breeder instead. Who has looked after the puppies inside their house and knows the mother and father.

After watching this HORRIBLE video about ********, I will NEVER even consider buying a pet from a pet store again!!! It makes me sick to even THINK about puppy mills!!!! I had NO IDEA!!!

Last edited by Ford; August 30th, 2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gucci View Post
We almost bought a puppy at *********** in coquitlam, BC!!! But we decided to find a home breeder instead. Who has looked after the puppies inside their house and knows the mother and father.

After watching this HORRIBLE video about *******, I will NEVER even consider buying a pet from a pet store again!!! It makes me sick to even THINK about puppy mills!!!! I had NO IDEA!!!

Please don't think that, just because the puppies are in the house and the breeder "knows" the mother and father, the breeder a good breeder.

Last edited by Ford; August 30th, 2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:33 AM

Petstores

I bought my first dog at a petstore. I know many people say not to do it, but I got enraptured with him. Makes me sad he can have come from a puppy mill. On the plus side the pet store took fabulous care of the animals once they were there. Walking them several times a day, having outdoor play space and being right next to the vet office.

I just rescued a dog yesterday from a rescue group. For the last few weeks I've been on a search for the perfect companion for me. I was shocked at some of the humane societies I visited. There were people walking straight in, talking with the volunteers for a few moments before taking a dog home before. I asked at one of the locations if that person had been in previously and nope. I find it hard to imagine they're accurately matching dogs based on life styles through a few minute discussion. Not only that, but the cages they kept the dogs in were disgusting and tiny. Far worse than some pet stores I've seen. Really shocked.

Captain Crash was at a rescue group. I submitted an application and they sent him home with me within a day. No requirements had to be met aside from the fact they asked who was in my house. Surprised me as well.

I question if rescue shelters are any better than pet stores at times. The adoption fee for Crash was through the roof. (they are affliciated with the Humane Society)
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedSun View Post
I bought my first dog at a petstore. I know many people say not to do it, but I got enraptured with him. Makes me sad he can have come from a puppy mill. On the plus side the pet store took fabulous care of the animals once they were there. Walking them several times a day, having outdoor play space and being right next to the vet office.

I just rescued a dog yesterday from a rescue group. For the last few weeks I've been on a search for the perfect companion for me. I was shocked at some of the humane societies I visited. There were people walking straight in, talking with the volunteers for a few moments before taking a dog home before. I asked at one of the locations if that person had been in previously and nope. I find it hard to imagine they're accurately matching dogs based on life styles through a few minute discussion. Not only that, but the cages they kept the dogs in were disgusting and tiny. Far worse than some pet stores I've seen. Really shocked.

Captain Crash was at a rescue group. I submitted an application and they sent him home with me within a day. No requirements had to be met aside from the fact they asked who was in my house. Surprised me as well.

I question if rescue shelters are any better than pet stores at times. The adoption fee for Crash was through the roof. (they are affliciated with the Humane Society)
Like any shelter or rescue group, all vary. All I can tell you with certainty (regardless of the care of the animal or the conditions of the cages) buying at a petstore enables the brokers and the millers to operate. Shelters and rescue groups are picking up the pieces.