Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 3rd, 2004, 02:18 AM

Cats with Oily Fur

Hi everyone. My 2 cats seem to have very oily fur. This situation is worst with my older cat (Mama, 12 years old). When I pet her, my hands become oily (I don't see oil on my hand of course, but oily feeling like I just finish putting on lotion). Because of this, I took them for a bath about 4 days ago, and now both of their furs are oily. Could it be the shampoo they used? Or could it be the pet perfume they used? I didn't know they use perfume here in Hong Kong because when I took them to shower in Vancouver, Canada, they never used anything like that. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks...

Samantha/BB (11-month-old ~~ Born on Oct 9, 2007)

Mama (17-year-old) - passed away
Sabrina (11 year-old) - passed away on Feb 7, 2006
Meow Meow (8 year-old) - passed away on May 15

My nephew:
Bor Bor (6 year-old puppy)
Old October 3rd, 2004, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

VCheng,I am surprised nobody has answered,but it could be because they don't have an answer.
I was looking in my cat-book about oily fur,there is something called Seborrhea one form is dry and another is wet or oily,maybe you can look it up.
It does not seem to be anything serious..
In the list of problems,that was the only thing that causes oily fur.
I also know,you do not ever put perfume on a cat or smelly shampoos,maybe the oily fur is a reaction.This is just me guessing,ok
Old October 3rd, 2004, 03:34 PM

Sounds like a good guess to me, Chico! Vcheng, if your cats only developed this oily fur after their bath in Hong Kong, then I'd guess it's a reaction to the products they used. I wouldn't take them for baths there anymore (mind you, I don't know of many people who have bathed a cat and lived to tell the tale! ).
Old October 4th, 2004, 12:02 PM

I have also noticed another problem but not too sure which cat does that. I just found a whisker this afternoon, it seems like it was pulled out (one end is fatter and rounder than the pointed end). This is not the first time I discovered whiskers on the ground. I think I have seen 4 in total after we moved here to Hong Kong. Can anyone tell me what's going on with my cat/cats?
Also, can anyone list out the symptoms of poisoning in cats? And Chico, what cat book do you usually read? Thanks everyone.

My nephew:
Old October 4th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

VCheng,the whiskers is nothing to worry about,I find them all the time...your cats are not going to end up whithout whiskers
As for poisoning,I would assume it means vomiting,listlessness,not eating,sick in general.Why would you ask that? Is there a chance they were poisoned?
The book I have is a beautiful big book,with 527 pics of cats.It's called"The Noble cat"Aristocrat of the Animal World. By Howard Loxton.It tells you everything about cats,but nowadays the Internet does the same.
Are your cats still not up to par?Do they seem sick? I think the whole experience with a bath at the hands of a stranger,the perfume and whatever else they did to them,has them a little traumatized,hopefull they'll be back to normal soon..
I think you are a bit of a worry-wart,just like me,but Pets.ca does that to you,reading about worms,fleas etc....I check the litter-boxes every day,how many pee-balls there is and disect the poop to check for worms In the meantime I have 3 perfectly healthy happy cats
It's like reading a medical-book,all of a sudden you might feel near death,because you might have imaginary symtoms described
Old October 4th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Vicky K

I use bio-orange on cats with oily fur....yes its a degreaser for mechanics but its all natural. Apply it to dry fur without massaging too much, then rinse, then wash with dawn dishwashing soap (only dawn others are too rough), rinse and then wash with your regular doggie shampoo (make sure its not oily).

We use this method for cats with stud tail
P.s make sure you blow dry your dog dry to avoid irritations due to humidity.
Old October 5th, 2004, 06:38 AM

Thanks Chico for the book name. I have always wanted to buy a cat book with complete details...Oh and thanks for asking, they are doing much better now...their different personalities is much more visible now. Sabrina likes to follow me every where...Mama is more independent but she's extremely cute too...
I guess you are right about me being a worry-wart... I guess it's from losing Meow Meow so soon . It makes me nervous and I love Mama & Sabrina so much...
I don't know if you remember but I posted a thread a while ago saying that my mom came in to my apartment and started using pure bleach to clean the floor (she knows I would never let her do that if I am here). Not only that, she left all the doors and windows closed!!! When i came home I was shocked, I had no idea how long they were inhaling the bleach fumes. Also, the floor boards become matt color so i have no idea how long they have been lying on the floor and then licking themselves. I am so worried...even now. Some nice people here said there shouldn't be a problem but you know how I am....

Wow VickyK...are those products really good for my cats? At first I thought you are teaching me how to clean the kitchen I guess I will wait few more days to see how they are doing, their fur seems not as oily today. Thanks...and I swear I will never bring them for a bath again...Sabrina pulled out all the hair where they applied the Revolution!!! (this is the 2nd time I used this with her)

Sorry about the long posting...

My nephew:
Old October 5th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Vicky K

I was expecting some kinda comment like that but believe it or not NO, this treatment is actually more delicate then some proffesional products available out there. All the courses I am following are mostly hollistic and I have tried this several times.....every client was pleased and no skin irritations have occured.

P.s. a good trick is if the shampoo or "stuff" irritate your hands, then it most likely will irritate your pet.
Old October 5th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Senior Contributor

VCheng,it's actually endearing,all the questions you ask,it only proves how much you care
I've had cats most of my life and you learn from experience and sites like this.
I had one cat,whom we allowed to eat anything he wanted,incl tablescraps.
He of course ended up obese and diabetic,died at 17 from cancer.
But even if we do all the right things,things happen and cats get sick only now,unlike years ago,I know the signs and will seek help.
Like your mom,I sometimes clean the floor where the litter-boxes are with a bleach/water solution,it does not seem to bother the cats,but it is a well ventilated area and I make sure to rinse it well.
Old October 5th, 2004, 10:31 PM

I just hope my cats are alright, which they do seem so....
Anyway, thanks a lot guys for giving me all these tips

My nephew: