Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 29th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

small bite from another dog

Molly (golden retriever, 9 yrs old) got bitten in a little tussle she had today with one of her dog friends - in her ear of all places. Just two very tiny puncture wounds (looks like a snake bite), not on the "flap" of her ear but further inside on the soft little folds. I just want to make sure i'm doing the right thing...
it just happened, I cleaned it with water and a bit of iodine solution, trimmed away a bit of fur (very hard to do, she didn't like that at all) and put a dab of polysporin on it. Would you do anything else?

Obviously, we'll keep a very careful eye on it and get to the vet if anything looks like it's going awry.
So far the only trouble is that she keeps shaking her head and i'm worried that could cause a problem too.

Please feel free to refer me to past posts about this topic... I can't seem to get the "search" function to come up with anything though I'm sure this topic has been covered.

My poor girl... she's having a hard week :sad: but she keeps on smiling
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old March 29th, 2008, 08:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We had a rash of ear injuries this summer as the new members of the Pack were 'settling in' Got the same advice on all of them (and we had punctures and slashes...): clean it up and keep an eye on it.

If the area gets swollen, hot, red, or hard, she'll need to be seen. But it sounds like you've done all you can do at this point. The good news is that all of ours healed up fine without needing a trip to the vet.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 29th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Otter sounds like you have it under control...I was just thinking Molly may be shaking here head from the washing of her ear not necessarily the bite??

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston, i'm not sure about the shaking...she did it a bit before I cleaned it up even (we were out on a walk when it happened and had about a 5 min walk home before the clean up, she shook maybe 5 times). I think it just bugs her, tickles her a bit or something. I'll be hoping that as the holes dry up it might bug her less
She's snoozing right now... so far only waking up to shake occasionally (15 min without shaking so far) so maybe this will pass

I'm feeling a bit paranoid now... I forgot about the HRP and all their ear incidents, I guess this kind of stuff can be common. Thanks for helping me get over the "OMG she got bit"
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yeah, they do shake their heads for a while after...I think it stings or at least feels odd. Usually it subsides after a few hours. How long ago did this happen?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Senior Contributor

It was probably about 2 hours ago......
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

So she's still well within the 'shaking period' ... Just be sure to check it at least twice a day to make sure she's not getting a hematoma--a pooling of blood in the area. Ears are notorious for hematoma formation because the skin and cartilage are so closely layered there. Ear hematomas are a nuisance and usually not an emergency--but if she starts to get one (you'll feel a thickening) it's probably best to call the vet for some advice.

Likely, she'll have forgotten all about it by tomorrow!

Old March 29th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Senior Contributor

still snoozing since our last post here and no shaking . Sounds like the "shaking hour" has passed, yipeeee!

We'll be on high hematoma alert... my neighbors dog goes in for surgery on Tuesday to have one removed from her ear (cause unknown) so i'm pretty familiar with them.

Now lots of that this is the last we have to worry about this "incident" (now I will have to worry in future about playing with our young Chessie friend - we might know what to do now but i'm not keen to have this happening again)

Thanks!
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:54 AM
-

Don't worry otter , these things happens. Unless you wrap Molly in bubble wrap , which would make if hard for her to fetch her cuz

how is she doing this morning ?
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Did she finally stop shaking her head?

Old March 30th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks everyone...
I like the bubble wrap idea, would help keep her warm, dry and safe

Yipee! No more head shaking
Molly seems pretty content with the world today. The puncture wounds look larger but not really red, just a bit pink. I think it's going to need some close attention for a few days - it's in such a bad spot so far in her ear and on such a folded spot. Keeping our for good clean healing.

I'm going to keep putting the polysporin on it for a few days... I figure keeping it from scabbing over might help with the discomfort to Molly and help it heal.

Now mom just needs to get over it... so I can let Molly keep playing without having a panic attack every time there is a growl
Old March 30th, 2008, 04:02 PM
-

Speedy recovery Molly !
Old March 30th, 2008, 08:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Sounds like she's already well on her way to healing up, otter! Way to go, Molly! Keep up the good work!

Old April 1st, 2008, 02:38 AM

Sounds like Molly will be just fine

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:43 AM
-

for you and Molly .....hope she is healing nicely.