Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 17th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Question Question about vaccines

Hi,
I was just wondering about a puppy's booster shots. What does that cover and approx. how much is it? I just want to budget for it because we have to get her shots next month. Also, when do dogs get their rabies shots?
TIA, Amanda
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:52 PM

some breeders will give puppies their first set of shots at 6 weeks, but for them to develop full immunity to these diseases, they should be given a set at 8 weeks or older, and another set 3 to 4 weeks later. the first set consists of the general parvo-distemper shot. because it has so many combinations in it(5) it is the one that needs to be boosted in 3 to 4 weeks. at the second set, rabies can be given. HOWEVER. if you are planning on travelling with your dog into the states, a rabies vaccination will not be recognized by them until the dog is 12 weeks old. since the rabies vaccine only has one component to it, it should be boosted the following year, and them becomes a 3 yr vaccine. as far as cost, i would phone your vet and ask. i know where i work, the first set is 54 dollars, which is an exam and vaccination. and the second set, which includes the rabies, is 66. but ya i would say call your vet and ask. if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. good luck! oh...and if you are planning on leaving the dog in a kennel at any time, don't forget to get the bordetella shot.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

The new AAHA guidelines for the combination vaccine (to typically include distemper, parvo, adenovirus and parainfluenza) is: first vaccine to be given between 6 and 8 weeks of age and then every 3 weeks until approximately 16 weeks of age. This ends up with the pet receiving 3-4 sets.

Here is a link to the website which includes a description of ALL vaccines, including many which are no longer being recommended such as corona virus.

http://www.aahanet.org/resources/guidelines_canine.aspx

Also please remember that all vaccines are not created equal. Recombinant vaccines are slightly more expensive but have several advantages: 1) do not create immune suppression for several days post injection, 2) create better immunity, 3) are not interfered with maternal antibodies (Important for puppies!) and 4) are non adjuvanted. There has been a lot of information with regard to cancer being caused by adjuvanted vaccines in cats. We now believe this terrible phenomenon is also created in dogs, but with lesser frequency.

Here is the website with regard to Merial's non adjuvanted line. Just search for vaccines. Unfortunately, these may only be obtained through a veterinarian. www.merial.com (and no, I am not paid by Merial but I am a firm believer in 1) less is more with many and most vaccines and 2) recombinant technology with regard to patient safety!)

Good luck.