Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:10 AM

Need help training to heel!!!

I'm training my pup and he is catching on but the main issue we're having is training him how to behave outside, he doesn't heel, he tries to jump up on strangers, pulls in all directions...Very hard to control. We tried the jerking of the leash when he pulls as well as stopping when he pulls...not really improving. Any suggestions?
Old February 23rd, 2008, 03:49 PM

hi Anna c
new to site and my spelling is sorry, one of the best ways to teach heel work(i think ) is as soon as your pup get in front of you is to turn and walk a different way.
as you turn and go the pupy will get a correction as he gets to the end of the leash and should catch you up.
if you set time aside for this as you wont get to walk far, just up and down. if you can keep it up for about 30 mins. the pup should star to watch you more(cant do this if infront of you)you need to feep repeating it again and again.so pups gets infront ,turn, pup catchers you up moves in front, turn and so on
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Senior Contributor

He doesn't heel cause he doesn't know what he's supposed to do.

The "heel" command was pretty easy to teach with my guys.I even had them heeling off leash.

Here is a link for you to read.It's actually no different then the way I taught my guys.I figured I would post it then take up half a page writing it on how I did it.LOL

http://www.dog-obedience-training-re...g-to-heel.html
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:20 AM

Thanks! Will try the walking in the different direction!
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM

I started my pup when he was 2 months old. He always kept a collar around his neck so he gets use to it when its leash time. Then i put a nylon leash would hook it on his collar and let him walk anywhere he wanted in the house with it. So he would be dragging it...Bit by bit I would pick it up and walk with him in the house. Then it was the test outside 2 days later. He would sit like all dogs and just look at you. We would encourage him with our tone of voice by just saying come on come on till the got the nack of walking with you. But i would do this at night when there is no one around. Took only a week and he would follow. Just start in your backyard or a park so it can do a few yards at first...next thing you know they walk and then you can keep him closer to you and start using the word HEEL...I would say Heel walk maybe like 20feet stopped make him sit and say Goodboy. The repeat it. Today hes going to be 5months next week and he heels, sits, stays and all with or without the leash. But this is everyday training till he got it in his head. EVERYDAY!! Start 10mins here and there then now a couple of hours. Now i can power walk with him and he follows