Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 13th, 2008, 06:56 PM
-

With the TPLO surgery it is eight weeks of only going outside on leash for potty breaks. Then the next eight weeks is rehabilitation to build the muscle back up. The rehab consists of short 10 min. walks a couple times a day to start then gradually increase the length of time until you're back to normal for your dog. So that's like four months all together if there isn't any complications.

My friend told me about the recuperation time for the regular surgery but I can't remember. It is a shorter time period though because they don't break the bone to do the surgery. That's another reason why we opted for the TPLO because Chase's back end conformation was lousy and they can correct it somewhat by cutting the one bone (forget which one) and then realigning it with the other.
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:14 PM
-

I forgot to answer your question about playing with another dog. I guess it would depend on how roughly they play. It's a hard question to really answer. I would hate to say "yeah, it's fine" and then something happen to Lukka again. You know what I mean?

One thing I can tell you though is that my friend doesn't have a clue how her golden tore the ligament in her second leg. It happened about 4 yr. after the first one.

Chase also tore the ligament in his other leg a little over 4 months after the first one. We knew it would happen because of his conformation but we didn't think it would happen that fast.
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Remembering Lukka

I fully understand you not being comfortable saying Lukka can or should play with other dogs. I should have thought of that
But thanks for all the info you did supply me with, I really love those links to acl surgery
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:41 PM
-

There is also a forum at Yahoo for people that have gone through or are about to go get these types of surgeries for their dogs. I'll see if I can find it.
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Remembering Lukka

*taps toes too*

found it yet

just kidding
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:46 PM
-

Here is the group....you can join it if you want to ask questions or else just read the latest posts and archives.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/o...guid=250363800
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post

*taps toes too*

found it yet

just kidding

I did find it fairly quickly ...... but it's the pages at pets.ca that are taking forever to load for some reason.
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Remembering Lukka

Oh WOW, that looks great
Signing off for a bit to go do some reading
thanks rainbow
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:54 PM
-

Quote:
Oh WOW, that looks great
Signing off for a bit to go do some reading
thanks rainbow
Signing Off ???? How would we know....your light is never on and we can't see you.
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Signing Off ???? How would we know....your light is never on and we can't see you.
The only reason I stay hidden is because every time I log off this site my computer freezes and I have to re boot. So I stay signed in and if I allowed my name to be at the bottom like I should it would appear like I have no life and I spend every minute of the day on this site and I would look like a
Old January 13th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Quote:
Chase also tore the ligament in his other leg a little over 4 months after the first one. We knew it would happen because of his conformation but we didn't think it would happen that fast
That happened to my last dog Rusty (in avatar) he tore two cruciate ligaments within weeks of one another. That was only after having 10 days of prednisone. Prednisone can help but it can also cause a lot of damage.
With Rusty he was only able to have the one surgery, they were unable to do both he was really old and had a heart condition. We had him in a leg brace for a year to see if it will heal on it's own it didn't. So the vet and ortho surgeon recommended removing it. IT was no longer painful just weak and unsupported so he had a little limp. Both were back legs.

Rubber mat thingy lol
Old January 13th, 2008, 08:45 PM
-

[QUOTE=Lukka'sma;530578]The only reason I stay hidden is because every time I log off this site my computer freezes and I have to re boot. So I stay signed in [QUOTE]

I would say it's time for a new computer but Lukka's surgery is going to take care of that.

Quote:
and if I allowed my name to be at the bottom like I should it would appear like I have no life and I spend every minute of the day on this site and I would look like a
My name is Rainbow and I am a pets.ca -aholic.
Old January 13th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

So then the computer must have the hiccups not you

Oh and I was just thinking. When Rusty had his surgery it was hard to use a crate hard to get in to turn around and to get comfortable because it was too closed in. So instead I 'penned' him in an area. Maybe you can think of something like that would be easier for Lukka. Not feeling so 'caged' in.
What may be a good idea are those fold open pens that look like giant baby gates. What do ya think about that?
Old January 13th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Remembering Lukka

[QUOTE=rainbow;530590][QUOTE=Lukka'sma;530578]The only reason I stay hidden is because every time I log off this site my computer freezes and I have to re boot. So I stay signed in
Quote:

I would say it's time for a new computer but Lukka's surgery is going to take care of that.
My name is Rainbow and I am a pets.ca -aholic.
No new computer in my immediate future
The 12 step program...........maybe I should change my invisible mode and see if anyone notices that I live on this site 24/7, even though I'm not really here a lot of the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba View Post
So then the computer must have the hiccups not you

Oh and I was just thinking. When Rusty had his surgery it was hard to use a crate hard to get in to turn around and to get comfortable because it was too closed in. So instead I 'penned' him in an area. Maybe you can think of something like that would be easier for Lukka. Not feeling so 'caged' in.
What may be a good idea are those fold open pens that look like giant baby gates. What do ya think about that?
Good thinking. I have a gate and can put her in the alcove at the back of the house. Lots of room, about 6 X4 so she would have ample area.
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Lukka has to be off the Prednisone for at least three full days so that means her surgery has to be put off until the 22 January. She goes in at 7:30am and has to stay there for two nights:sad: I don't know how I am going to get through all that time without seeing her. I have never been away from her longer than one shift at work
When we had Priscilla's hips replaced, she had to stay at the U of MN for a week each time. It really was hard to leave her there, especially for the second surgery. :sad: If we'd been closer, they would have allowed visits--will you be able to go see her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
To keep that coolness try lining the tin with vinyl - like the stuff you use to cover bar stools with (that's the only use I can think of) or even leather (if you can find it). Both are soft enough not to be slippery but thin enough to still be cool. It'll get all scratched up but it's not expensive (the vinyl anyways) and can just be replaced as needed. You should be able to find it at a fabric store or from an upholstery shop - you can even put spray glue on the bottom to make it really sticky (available in office or art supply stores - get the removable type, there are usually permanent and removable versions, else it will be VERY messy to remove)
Are you thinking of naugahide, otter? Not sure if that's how you spell it--but it's basically a vinyl leather--soft, a few millimeters thick... I got a largish piece from an upholsterer and used it as a drop cloth when painting at the easel! It's not slippery at all, LM, so it might be ideal for Lukka!

It really holds up to dogs pretty well... I was still painting when I had just the Trio (Cass, Cole, and Ember) and it stood up to their marauding puppy paws quite nicely! Chew resistant, too...but they quickly found out they could pull it and get a wild reaction from Mom...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Half Way To Crazy

I don't know to much about the surgery..

But I just wanted to send ALOT of for your girl lukka to get better so that you can have your beautiful peaceful walks again....

Old January 14th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Remembering Lukka

Thanks everyone for all the support.
Hazel the vet where she will be is only a very few blocks from our home and we pass by it several times a day just doing regular running around and such. I would love to visit her but am wondering if it might cause her to try and get up and move around too much in those first couple of days. If it was surgery on any part of her other than a leg I might be inclined to go over and sit with her. As much as I will want to go in there, I think she will do better without hearing our voices or seeing us:sad:
Old January 14th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Lukka'sMa - I agree with not trying to visit your pup - reaction would be exactly as described and of course pup would obviously be thinking that Mommy had come to spring her. The only time I visited a dog in hospital was when my Dachshund had to stay for 40 days - there were no guarantees with this surgery so every little bit helped. Of course I ended taking home another dog that I played with during my visits - he had been abandoned at the vets several months before and they were keeping him hoping for a home. My groomer's Boxer was not crated after her surgery 2 weeks ago, but just confined a bit. Actually, the Thurs. after her previous Thurs. surgery, she met me at the door - this did surprise me.
Old January 14th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDancer View Post
Lukka'sMa - I agree with not trying to visit your pup - reaction would be exactly as described and of course pup would obviously be thinking that Mommy had come to spring her. The only time I visited a dog in hospital was when my Dachshund had to stay for 40 days - there were no guarantees with this surgery so every little bit helped. Of course I ended taking home another dog that I played with during my visits - he had been abandoned at the vets several months before and they were keeping him hoping for a home. My groomer's Boxer was not crated after her surgery 2 weeks ago, but just confined a bit. Actually, the Thurs. after her previous Thurs. surgery, she met me at the door - this did surprise me.
I hope Lukka recovers quickly too
Old January 14th, 2008, 01:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
The only time I visited a dog in hospital was when my Dachshund had to stay for 40 days - there were no guarantees with this surgery so every little bit helped.
That sure puts everything in a different perspective! 40 days! I'd be a basket case. Poor little guy!

Yeah, I guess it might be hard on Lukka thinking that mom was coming to spring her and then left without her :sad:. Two days isn't so long, I guess...certainly not a marathon like 40 days!!!!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 14th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
40 days must have been like an eternity for your little Dachshund:sad: I just can't imagine how hard it was for both you and your puppers
Old January 14th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Yep, 40 days was a nightmare - what was worse though is that he regained feeling to left side of body at day 10 and the right side at day 30 - we were seriously worried there and vets were even looking into side wheelchairs. This guy was super Alpha - only reason the neuro did the surgery - this guy didn't want to go anywhere without me - and actually he became a case study at the university - too bad he wasn't paid for his contribution to Dachshund disc disease! The day he walked, he cried, I cried and so did the vets at the clinic. He had full body - including neck - surgery - so a bugger. Hopefully Lukka will have a speedy recovery. My guy had his KC shot on the 5th - so just 2 weeks and 2 days after the Boxer had her ACL surgery - and since groomer is in same building as vet, she came out when she saw my Eskie and proceeded to try and mount him - yep my guy is a boy - but equal opportunity and the big babes love him. My husband hadn't seen it happen before - I see it weekly - but he was very surprised at how agile the Boxer was 2 weeks post surgery. Maybe it helps that she is 2 1/2. Years ago 2 fellows I worked with fell on ice downtown and each broke their collar bones -guy was in his 20s the other in his late 50s - the younger fellow heeled in no time. So here's hoping for Lukka!